Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

January WebMD Diet Challenge
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

The New Year is here with a clean page. Let's get 2009 started with a challenge that develops the habits we need to succeed in helping us to feel great this year and the years to come.

The key to making a lasting change is to make baby steps toward our goal.

The way this challenge will work is this:

1. State your ultimate goal this way: "I will lose weight, at least x pounds, in 2009 by:"

2. State your mini-goal for January "I will lose weight, at least x pounds, in January by:"

3. Then pick 3 things that you will focus on this week.

4. The next week you will add on another focus.

5. Check in every week with your weigh-in, so we can help with accountability.

6. Of course, join us anytime you need support or want to share your victories--whether on the scale or a non-scale victory like losing a dress size.

This will work sort of like that old game "I am going to grandma's house and I am going to take..." where you add an item each round.

You can find sample focus items by visiting the Ideas for Weekly Focus thread or by reading other posts in this thread. Feel free to take them, modify them, or use your own.

We will have a daily challenge post on this board Monday through Friday. Our Diet Clubs always have room for one more, so be sure to join in over on one of those as well for support, ideas, tips and a bit of fun too.

Diet Club - 10-25 lbs

Diet Club - 25-50 lbs

Diet Club - 50-100 lbs

Diet Club - 100+ lbs

Peg40630 responded:
I LOVE this!!

1. I will happily lose 30lbs I've gained over the last 3 years: weight gain due to being on tamoxifen and triptorlene.

2. I will joyfully lose 3.5lbs or more in January on or before Jan 31, 2009

3. I will focus on these three things for the week of January 5, 2009:

---logging all my food intake and activity output on fitday.com

---eating more vegetables with every meal

---drinking more water

megan_ash1981 responded:
I love challenges like this- It really helps keep me motivated. 1- My ultimate goal is to reach 120 lbs by March 1st and maintain that weight by continuing the eat healthy and exercising regularly ( no more yo yo dieting!) 2- My mini goal for January is to lose a healthy 2 lbs per week- 8 total for the month. 3- Three things I will focus on this week is: 1-to increase my workouts to 5 one hour sessions (I have been averaging about 3 one hour sessions) 2-Add strength training to my workouts 3 times per week (not my favorite, I love cardio workouts) 3-I will eat only when I am hungry- not stressed or bored... very bad habit of mine!

4cayman; responded:
How much do you weigh now? I woud like to reach 120 lbs too.but not sure if that is reachable for me by March.... I weigh 132 lbs now. My goal is to reach 120 lbs by June 2009

megan_ash1981 responded:
4cayman: I am at 133 now. If I lose 2 lbs a week I should be able to reach my goal by March! Looks like we are about the same weight and height

4cayman; responded:
Hi Megan....yes we are; Good to see that u are confident abt losing 2 lbs a week. I ma planning 1 lb a week - knowing my eating habit

What is your exercise regimen? I started walking on the treadmill. Yesterday I did 60 mins as I was watching Ocean's eleven... Today I got 20 mins in the morning and hoping to squeeze in 60 after work.

megan_ash1981 responded:
I do 60 minutes on my elliptical about 3-4 times weekly (I love jogging but it has been too cold out lately). I do the elliptical on the highest resistance so I can burn the most calories. However my goal is to up my workouts to five one hour sessions weekly and include some strength training so it's not all cardio. I am hoping to get a gym pass soon so I can have access to more equipment. but for now this works- I have lost 11 pounds since the end of November so I am hoping I will continue loosing 2lbs a week

sranch responded:
1. I will lose weight, at least 20 pounds, in 2009 by August 15th

2. I will lose weight, at least 5 pounds, in January by controlling portions

3. I will log everything I eat BEFORE I eat it on my Fitday Journal. EVERY DAY! I will drink at least 64 oz of water. I will not eat after 7:30 at night.

Current Weight 183.4 lbs

~Sharon

KairisMommy responded:
I'm on bored too!!!!

1. I will lose 15 pounds by April 23 ( the last of my baby weight by my daughter's 2nd birthday) 130>115

2. I will lose 4 pounds in January.

3. a) I will work out at least 20 minutes every day

b) I will not have fast food or pizza no matter how easy it is.

c) I will have at least 1 vegetarian meal a week.

seeit2 responded:
I'm struggling with this. I don't actually want to set a weight goal. Its not about the number on the scale for me - I want to increase my overall health and expect the weight to come off as a consequence. Am I on the wrong board? I chose this one because the goal weight is about what I would hope/expect to lose...anyway, my ultimate goal is to enhance my overall physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being in 2009. I've found that focusing on an exercise goal is more meaningful to me right now than the actual weight goal...so my exercise goal this month is to increase my 4-day per week workout time from 30 minutes of walk/run to 40 minutes (no easy feat in my house) and to increase the run time in the intervals from 1 minute to 2 minutes. I'm brand new to running, so this is a big increase for me.

I've set the following mini goals for this week:

1) adding at least two vegetarian meals , 2) increasing the run-time in my interval training on the treadmill by 30 seconds every-other interval (baby steps, right?!) , 3) finding something to keep my hands busy in the evening to reduce the stress eating. I've got a new quilt I could start working on.

Louise, I'm not trying to be a wiseacre here - if there is another board I should be on then please let me know. Otherwise, I'll report in based on the goals I stated above.

Deb

PS - Feels good to write it down, doesn't it?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
No problem with the no weight goal. I am all about the healthy eating and lifestyle here. Some people though do better with solid numbers...but if that doesn't work for you. (and if you want to make my partner insane...just mention a goal #)

megan_ash1981 responded:
seeit2- I think it is great that you are just striving to be healthier. There is nothing wrong with that at all! I know with me though, I do much better with specific goals. Usually when I make more broad goals I have a harder time sticking to them and holding myself accountable. I do want to be healthier as well but I make weight, exercise and nutrition goals to help me along the way. I don't think you are in the wrong place at all! I think we all ultimately want to be healthier and that is why we are here. Do whatever works best for you, and I hope you can feel comfortable here!

Peg40630 responded:
Seeit,

the way I see it, losing weight is a secondary benefit to a healthier lifestyle. The number on the scale has been almost meaningless to me as I am stronger, healthier, albeit heavier than I was when I was 20. At 45 I can run laps around my 20 something skinny self.

I stay focused on the activity I'm doing and what food choices I make. This morning, my boss brought in donuts for the team meeting. I love donuts but they aren't a healthy choice for me. I already ate breakfast and I'm not hungry.

By exercising and eating healthy, I honor the body God gave me.

seeit2 responded:
Thanks, guys. I think when I put a number on my weight loss then I get completely neurotic about it LOL! If it happens when I'm paying attention to other things, then I am not so crazy.

THis morning I intended to get up early and work out before my DD got up - but I had such trouble sleeping last night that when that alarm went off I just kept on snoozing. There are many more hours in the day, though, so I still have time to get it done...

Deb

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.