Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Give it up
An_258727 posted:
Is there anything that someone has given up and seen a huge improvement in their health since going without it?

brunosbud responded:
Cranberry juice, apple juice and orange juice. Frozen pasta meals, pot pies, mac & cheese. Sourdough bread. Bagels. Coffee with creamer and sugar throughout the day.

bigred53 replied to brunosbud's response:
Dang Bruno, all of my former favorites too. I will have some orange juice once in a blue moon and some of those other things too. In fact the other day I had some mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC. I've been having some stomach/intestinal issues lately and that was the only thing that sounded good at the time. Not the best choice I know so I'm prepared for my 20 lashes with a wet noodle. All I wanted was something easy and to get home.

Giving up pre-packaged foods for natural unprocessed foods is not the easiest thing to do but it is so much healthier and not necessarily more time consuming preparing them. As you all can see I do fall off the wagon, more often than I should I'm sure.

Michelle

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
Here's a perfect example of "HEALTHY" in our supermarkets.

The majority of readers on this board think "Fiber One" bars are "healthy" and an excellent "low cal" snack.

http://www.fiberone.com/products/chewy-bars/oats-and-chocolate (click on "nutrition")

Latest estimates show that the average American adult is consuming between 2,400 calories a day. The Fiber One bar is only 140 calories. GREAT!!! But, weighs only 40g. Considering total food consumption is, on average, 2000 lbs/year, most Americans are consuming almost 2,500g a day! Now, anybody whose ever eaten these bars knows exactly what I'm getting at...

Although one Fiber One bar may represent 5.8% of the total calories we eat in one day, the problem is, @ 40g, it represents only 1.6% of the amount of food we normally consume a day. What does that mean? It means you eat 2 or 3 (Fiber One bars) at a time. And, the manufacturer knows this and sizes the bars so that intelligence-challenged label readers will buy thinking, "Hey! Just 140 calories! Yippee-Kai-Yay (*#!)!!!!"

The other beauty is sugar. Just 10 grams of sugar in a single Fiber One bar! Sugar is bad and everyone knows this!...a measly 10 grams is nuthin'! Wrong, again, Kee-Mo-Sah-Bee! 10 grams equals 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar! Sodium is far worse but I fear too much math will dilute my point, here.

There is a reason why we look the way we do in this country. This is why counting calories and sugar is whack! It's because no one takes into account the amount of food that needs to be eaten in order for it to be satisfying. Filling. Enough to hold you over til the next chow session...at a restaurant (for even greater "hidden" caloric slaughter, hint, fats and oils).

This is why everybody, here, gains weight in a heartbeat. The math they use is label math. And, that kind of math, my friends, is unlike any kind of math taught in school.

For those, who don't follow "my" math, just take my word...Fiber One is pure junk!

(as always, just sayin'...)

bigred53 replied to brunosbud's response:
My point exactly on the post about favorite snacks. Something that is truly healthy has no list of ingredients. A carrot is a carrot.

I confess that I do keep some small granola bars around for emergencies. They have no saturated fat and the ingredient list is pretty short compared to Fiber One. Less calories and sugar too. Not to mention a lot less expensive. ..lol. I can eat a whole bag (three servings) of sugar snap peas for less calories and more fiber than those Fiber One bars. Much more filling too.

I'm by no means a saint when it comes to healthy eating but I continue to improve on my choices. It's really not rocket science folks. I've also noticed that when I eat 'cleaner' I feel better and I don't have the crazy cravings I had in the past. Bruno I'm sure you've noticed that too.

Michelle

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.