Skip to content

Announcements

Wanting to give up
isaacsdaddy posted:
I have been tracking my calories and trying to lose weight for 170 days. It went well for maybe the first 100 or so. I go to a weigh in every 4 weeks and the last two have only shown 3 lbs lost. Tomorrow is my next one and it seems I have actually gained weight. I want to give up going to these weigh ins and basically give up on my diet. Total I have lost around 20 pounds with a goal of losing 80 more. I had hoped to be a lot farther by now.

brunosbud responded:
"The depth and strength of our character is defined by our moral code. People only reveal themselves when they're thrown out of the usual conditions of their lives. That's when the truth of who they are is revealed..."
Sherrilyn Kenyon

When your car has a flat tire, do you "quit"? Of course not. Why? Because you have places you need to get to.

bigred53 responded:
Theodore Roosevelt said, "Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort. " Getting healthier is so worth it. We're here to help.

Michelle

alc1954 responded:
Hi, been there done that. Actually I am there right now. But I'm going to keep tracking and exercising because I know what's it's like to be 310 pounds and I know what it feels like to weigh 150 pounds. I lost 140 pounds 30 years ago and put it back on after a surgery to remove my stomach overhang. Ten years ago I lost 155 pounds (half of myself). I was in the best shape I was ever in. Little did I know I would need that. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and had it removed in 2009. I had to relearn how to walk; so of course I couldn't exercise. I regained 100 pounds. I went to a weight loss doctor this February and I have lost 30 pounds. But I'm struggling right now. But I KNOW I can do it and I am worth it. I'm going on a 10 day cruise next year and I WILl be at a decent weight. I may not be at goal, but I'll be so much better than when I went on on this March. Just keep working on it, you ARE worth it!!!

mparisi185 responded:
I lost weight mostly through diet but later I added some strength training to build a little muscle mass. That worked for a while but when that slowed down I then added cardio, specifically HIIT. I don't know if that helps but that's what I've found. Good luck.

greybeh responded:
I had a successful weight loss of 175lbs. I gained some of it back because of health issues but I'm working on losing again.

A few strategies have worked for me, and you can think about whether they may help you or not.

First of all, you might consider WHY you want to lose weight. What benefits will you see when you do? This could be health goals, appearance issues like buying cute clothes, financial (spending less on medicine, saving money by packing a healthy lunch), social goals (feeling more confident, being able to play with the kids without getting winded)...

I like to look for resources to help keep me excited. I do like to read books on weight loss to motivate me. Some people might find it exciting to try new recipes. A magazine subscription for healthy recipes, or to Weight Watchers or a fitness magazine might help. Print articles from online to read when you have a spare minute.

For me, tracking my food has been so important. You can track your food and activities at Myfitnesspal.com. I'm a member of Weight Watchers online and I like the points system, but I don't care as much for their forum as I do for Myfitnesspal.com.

It helped me to maintain more do-able goals. Instead of saying you want to lose 80 more and that seems so far away, how about "I want to lose 5 more pounds." A bigger success gets closer and more exciting when you're enjoying smaller successes along the way. It builds confidence and keeps things in perspective. Progress... is progress!

I also like to keep my foods exciting! I like my good old turkey sandwich, but where I buy my lunch they make up a sandwich for you and I can add grilled veggies, roasted red peppers, onions, lettuce, tomato and a bit of light mayo. People look at my sandwich and say, "That looks so good! What's in it?" I found that I love Bolthouse farms salad dressings (especially their caesar dressing!) and they're healthy. I look forward to my salad when I NEVER used to willingly eat salads before. You have to find foods that YOU like to eat and you can dress them up and make them part of your routine.

I also liked to challenge myself to try healthier foods. I would set my goal to try ONE new healthy food a week. I learned that I liked a lot of veggies that way! You might try one new recipe every week or two, and maybe it can become part of your repetoire (Sparkpeople.com has some good recipes and a forum for social support!)

I also love technology, so I have a Fitbit. I have a Striiv, too. They're both pedometers. The Striiv isn't very accurate (it freezes up) but my Fitbit is great and super-motivating!

Keep it fresh, keep it exciting, and have easy do-able goals... that'd be my advice!

I've just found that you really have to CREATE motivation. I've had to get to know myself and what motivates me and how I can play little games with myself to make the process bearable. I may HATE passing up those brownies in the kitchen at work, but I'll hate it less if I have absolute favorite healthy food (raspberries!) as an option in the fridge. Oh, I pack the fridge at work so that I have OPTIONS and I always have something to keep me from eating less healthily.

greybeh responded:
Also, the Beck Diet Solution books seem to have great tips, as well! It's not a Diet, but it works on your behaviors and thoughts.

mellou64 replied to alc1954's response:
Same here. Have lost 1/2 myself in weight a couple of times in my life and low and behold, here I am again ,100 #. Now I'm 65 and have many bone/ joint issues that limit my exercise regime, sometimes down to limited slow walking. The weight reduction is So SLOW & sometimez stop. Will hang in here though,as I need to be healthy.

angelbaby62 replied to mellou64's response:
Don't give up! You can do what you set your mind to.I know it has to be very difficult but with faith and inspiration you can achieve your weight loss goals. Good luck!
angelbaby62

Helpful Tips

MOVE Program
If you are a Military Veteran, check out the VA MOVE program. It involved 6 short meetings with lots of information and discussion. I went ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.