Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Starting My Change
munchyteen14 posted:
So today now bookmarks the day that I will hopefully succeed in having a healthier life style. I am very active, being a soccer player and all, and now I just need to learn to control my cravings for Starbucks and any other sweet treats. If any of you have any tips that you can throw my way, I would be very grateful. This isn't just about me losing weight, it's also about being healthier in my opinion.

addhealthcoach responded:
Cravings for sweets may indicate a need for pleasure. When craving a sweet treat, try diverting your attention by doing something that brings you pleasure, such as smelling a favorite fragrance, caressing something soft or watching funny videos. Also, including a touch of sweetness to your meals like adding berries to a salad may help stave off cravings for sweets later. A bit of sweetness in a meal that includes fiber is far less damaging than a lone candy bar or cupcake.

christelw responded:
I crave for sweets all the time. Eating a nice,sweet, juicy apple satisfies this craving, often I eat two. I also found that cutting the apple into bite size chunks satisfies more than biting into it. You can eat apple pieces while you are driving. So not only do you satisfy your sweet craving, you hydrate yourself at the same time.

marie_wright responded:
Yes, in order to be healthy we need to stay away from sweets but really, it's difficult to stay away from it especially if we have a sweet tooth. But it's not bad to have a sweet tooth because we also need sugar in our system but not the refined one. Sugar from fruits or grain-sweetened treats, and again not sweets with refined sugar is healthy. Just always stick to healthier options and in moderation.

Here's an easy strategy to overcome the dilemma of unhealthy sweet cravings: Don't give in right away. Try to wait for 5 to 10 minutes and see if the cravings passes. Try to distract yourself and develop a "later" habit for this. Like if you start to think of that favorite cake, think "later, I'll just finish this thing that I am doing". It might help remove the sweet food from your mind. If it doesn't, compromise by eating a small piece of that something you're craving. Then immediately brush your teeth. It might help to stop the cravings.

Or be really strict with these cravings and control yourself. Learn to say no to your cravings. You just need some self-control. Slowly, you'll learn to adjust and your sweet cravings will slowly subside. Once you've overcome the sweet cravings, later on, you'll realise that you no longer have these much cravings. It's just a matter of getting used to and it's always not easy the first time.

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.