Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Weight loss for truck drivers
hotrod041503 posted:
My husband drives a truck over the road. He drives on a team. The truck doesn't stop moving except to fuel. When his partner decides to stop for food he always stops at the truck stops with buffets filled with fried food from one end to the other. He doesn't actually eat that much, but the buffets at the truck stops tend to not have heathly food on them. He isn't able to exercise in the truck. The aren't stopped long enough when fueling to exercise and half the time he is asleep when they do stop. He is having the same problem that most truck drivers do. Lack of a healthy diet and exercise. He has gained almost 30 pounds in the year he's been on the team. Does anyone have any ideas of how he can lose weight besides the obvious diet and exercise?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Just some thoughts from someone who has spent a lot of time at truck stops as a non trucker, but whose trucking experience is limited to three very long hauls with the biggest truck you can rent.

Walking around at the truck stop can provide some exercise...while his partner is out eating at the buffet...or a few laps around the truck as it fuels. You might want to also look for exercises designed for people stuck at desks. Some lighter choices found at truck stops are jerky and often fresh fruit. Watching serving sizes and choosing carefully among the buffet items might be key here. He might want to also see about stopping when he has the chance at truck stops with lighter menu options--many now have Subway and Arby's which both have some decent choices for healthier food. (as well as the obvious calorie sinks)

whatshername004 responded:
My ex husband was a truck driver and he too gained weight and spent money. However, he bought a refrigerator with an adapter for trucks. That way he could have a variety of sandwiches and foods that are a lot healthier. Also stock up on healthy finger food snacks. And fruit can keep very well there too and some veggies. They also have hot plates and other things to heat the food for canned veggies and stuff. My ex husband also bought a pair of hand weights. The "MAN" kind that are really heavy. Reps of those are not quite like working out at a gym, but can come a close second. Cardio is much more difficult, but not impossible. He will have to be more determined to get that in, but like the other poster said, maybe he can walk around the truck stop while the other is in the buffet or truck stop diner to get up his heart rate just for a little cardio. And remember he should treat himself as well. Maybe try to cut down on buffets except once a week or something.

longtimer40yrsplus responded:
I have been driving for forty years( all different kinds) I lost 60 lbs. and have kept it off. I feel better than I have in years. Your husband can do it to. Don't give up.

amigocochise replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
As someone who has been out on the road for over 35yrs,I think that you need to investigate the situation more extensively.As what you are saying is true,you obviously don't understand how hard these 'simple' solutions are to accomplish.ESPECIALLY when one is driving team.I don't drive team,but I have.Even as a solo driver,your suggestions are almost impossible to find the time for.As for suggesting a better diet,it's not only hard to find good food,but also somewhat expensive.

Truckindaddy83 responded:
Some things to maybe consider since the truck never stops. I drive a truck, and I am not exactly what you would call fit. I use to be a body builder so I still have a lot of muscle, but I am married and have kids. Things have slowed down, along with my metabolism. Being in a truck I actuall youse weight. And here are my tricks to doing it. I have a Coleman electric cooler on my truck ($80.00). It stays full of groceries. Every Walmart super enter has an area to park a truck. Shop there instead of T/A and petro. I know the food is good and convenient, but that's not the best policy. I have 2 crockpots, approximately ($50.00) for both. Every truckstop I have stopped at has a microwave. I'm not buying one of those. Every morning I make it a point to walk at a fast pace for at least 30 mins. I can average a 1 - 2 pound loss out there. Hope it helps.

RoseLynn02 replied to Truckindaddy83's response:
That's funny. My husband drives truck & he walks every morning & every night when he is working through the week. Also, he has a cooler & a microwave. I cook most of his meals before he leaves & then he just has to nuke them. He drives OTR but he is usually home every weekend. My father in law drives OTR ( well he calls it OTR I would say regional), but he refuses to buy the invertor to power a microwave, so he spends like $150 a week on the road & eats so unhealthy usually stopping at the flying hooks & what not. He drives reefer & my DH drives feed & hazmat (not that that matters). It really is so much smart to invest in a few things for your truck so you can eat healthy & stay fit. We have 2 kids & are always busy on the weekends when he is home, so that helps too. Awesome to see another trucker showing that you can stay fit on the road. Props for that Truckindaddy83.

brunosbud replied to Truckindaddy83's response:
"...I have 2 crockpots, approximately ($50.00) for both..."
Leave it to a trucker to teach us, all, how to lose weight. Spot on, td83!
Slow cooking ("crock pot") is the simplest, easiest and smartest way to integrate three of the most essential foods on a regular basis: Whole Grains, Beans & Lentils and Vegetables
Stephanie O'Dea's, "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" ...Both my kids have a copy of her book and I've taught them several recipes to cook, regularly. It is super healthy, super easy and stupid simple. Period. There's just no excuse to eat junk once you learn to slow cook.
For seniors that are showing signs of forgetfulness and it's no longer safe for them to cook, themselves, slow cooking is a very good solution, also. Chop-Freeze-Thaw-Slow Cook. Very safe.

brunosbud replied to TruckersWeightLoss's response:
Fascinating posts, TWL. Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us. Sounds hard, from a weight loss standpoint...especially, when the fridge is right next to you and the bed is right next to the fridge.

zippyprincess responded:
Sometimes what causes weight gain is not gross over eating, but just more caloric intake than caloric burning and it sounds like that's what's happening here. Your husband could try one solution that doesn't involve dieting or exercise, but might help him lower his calories. Check Real W8 - it's a product that cuts sugar cravings. Sugar cravings don't always appear like sugar cravings. For example, bread is a form of sugar, rice, potatoes etc. For me, a muffin a day was a habit I wasn't able to break until my sugar cravings stopped. Real W8 is an awesome product for people who hate diets and excessive exercise.

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.