Includes Expert Content
Weight Gain After Gastric ByPass
hangingon1961 posted:
Has anyone gained there weight back since having gastric bypass surgery. I was 295 and went down to 158.. I am now back up to 240. My eating habits haven't changed. I still vomit if I've eaten too much. I know 3 people this has happened to where they have gained all there weight back.

has anyone else have this happen to them?

rowdygirl1961 responded:
Hi,

Couldn't help but notice your post and your user name. I think we're both kids of the sixties

I had gastric bypass in 2003, and lost 170 pounds. It wasn't all I wanted to lose, but I got kind of lazy and my loss just slowed down. I haven't gained any back, but I do tend have a 5-8 pound bounce back. I saw a startling change about a month ago when I suddenly gained 12 pounds practically overnight. I didn't change what I was eating, but I had started on a new prescription iron pill. I've been anemic since my surgery and regular over the counter supplements weren't helping. Since that was the only real change, I immediately stopped taking the rx and went back to the OTC version. It scared me enough to send me back to the gym. I'm now 6 pounds above my lowest weight, having lost 7 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I would be thrilled to lose about 30 pounds overall, but my doctor is ok with where I am. I'm not.

My older brother and younger sister have also had the surgery. They have both gained back large amounts of weight, especially my brother. His is due to eating lots and lots of the wrong foods. He has found a way around most everything and will even eat the things that will make him dump if he wants them badly enough. My sister is just not careful with her eating and has no discipline. There are lots if issues there, but suffice it to say, she just doesn't take the time to do what's right.

If you would like to chat about this offline, please feel free to email me.

awvflower@yahoo.com

Tammy

Michelle03874 responded:
I had my surgery back in 2000. Lost 100 lbs (wished it would have been more like 150 lbs, but surgeon is happy with results).

My weight was fairly steady with the exception of about 8 lbs I put back on when I started eating starches on a regular basis, and an occasional drink on evenings out. Two years ago I took a new job that consisted of sitting for 8 hours straight. I gained 30 lbs in less than a year!!!! After leaving that job and taking a more physical job, I have lost all that weight I put on.

I actually moved cross country and have had to find a new doctor, and she did the whole blood work panels about a month ago and found my thyroid was off, and put my back on synthroid. I had that issue in the past, but it has been about 6 years since being on thyroid meds.

Have your thyroid checked, and maybe just pick up your activity a bit.

I am a very big girl. My highest weight prior to surgery was 450, if not more. I am down to 325 now, and while not thrilled with it, I have my life back. Which is why I had the surgery to begin with.

Best of luck to you.

mybeautyspot responded:
I had my rouh and Y bypass in 2001. It was the old way, leaving a 12 inch scar. I did really well at first losing almost 200 pounds. I was soooo happy. Next thing I knew, I was pregnant. Hard preg, put on bed rest = gain back some weight. 6 moths after my baby wa born I found I was once again expecting my daughter (even with BC) My iron was so low, I had to do weekly iron IV infusions. I gained even more. 1 year later I was preggo again. She lost fluid, so back to bed rest. I have gained 100 pounds back do to preggo and bed rest for 3 years. Now I eat nothing and still the weight will not go away....HELP?? What do I do now???

marinfab5 responded:
This is so me. Had the surgery 2003 lost 100lbs gained back 35 so far...yes I have a desk job but started the weight gain B4...It's just got so much worse. I have had my check up all my blood work etc...My Vit. D is way low & I have severe low blood surgar...I take about a dozen vitamens everyday w/out fail...I do eat things I should'nt butdon't eat more then 1200 calories a day so the weight gain is not justified...Dr has me on spcl vit. D & says to take a wait & see approach...typical Kaiser...He refered me to the obesity clinic...Very frustrating!

xtralbs responded:
OMG! When I read ur post it seemed like I had written it myself! I had RNY done back in 2003 at 374 lbs. In May 2006 I reached my lowest weight of 186, a total weight loss of 188 lbs. I was fortunate enough to have had an excellent experience with the surgery, a lot of credit due to the great prep and care w/ Aetna healthcare. In October 2007, I noticed my weight had been fluctating a bit, and I had put on about 27 lbs, mostly due to an effort to quite smoking. At first I didn't panic, just hit the gym xtra hard and became xtra diligent about what I ate. I quickly dropped 15 lbs, bringing me to 198 right before Thkgiving holiday. I had given myself permissiont to put on a few lbs during the holidays, so in January 2008 I weighed in at 206. Then in a seemingly sudden way, I packed on 20 lbs in a month, with no drastic changes to my dieting or exercise habits. I had a new job and therefore new coverage. . . w/ Kaiser. Let me warn u that I have extreme prejudice towards Kaiser b/c as u mentioned, what's so typical of Kaiser is a seeming unwillingness to treat any problems with some sense of urgency. I had labs upon labs done, been referred to a dietician to address my rapid weight gain, which now has my weight at 236 (a # that actually reflects a recent weight loss from 249). I am anemic and have low vit D levels, and my weight is constanttly fluctuating. I have since cancelled my Kaiser coverage due to my extreme dissatisfaction with their care, and am seeking an individual plan through my former network Aetna. I was actually born at Kaiser and spent 18 years as a patient until my coverage under my mom's plan expired, and at no time during that period did they make any efforts at colloborative weight control beyond their short-sighted repeated mantra "exercise more and watch ur portions." Well, except for the physician directed weight loss diet I was put on as an infant (yes as an infant!) b/c of being an apparently "morbidly obese" newborn. . . at almost 10lbs The sad part is some Kaiser patients will never know how good healthcare could and should be, as they will never experience true care outside of the Kaiser bureaucratic, callous, medical tyranny. . . ( told u I have extreme prejudices, lol). i would say, if it's at all possible, try a different doctor outside of Kaiser. I admit I am a bit defeated b/c of the rapid weight gain, but I still try to look on the positive side, at least I have maintained a loss of 138 lbs, which is a lot more than I would have been able to do w/o the surgery.

yackyme responded:
hi there ,i had gbp,in 2002 and was 290 went down to 160 and now I'm 197 and so scared i also heard of people that gained it all back,are you on any program right now? i'm trying the w.w. plan but not doing to good lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks any info you want to share would be nice ...good luck ..

HARTSTRODE responded:
I had my gastric bypass May 28, 2004. I lost about 106 in three months. Going from a size 22 to a size 7. I regain about 80 pounds. I do not eat a lot of food. Candy bars is a big problem for me. I want to get down to 170 because of my height of 5 '11. My weight now is 230lbs

lostandconfused87 responded:
I am glad to see I am not the only one who is gaining back after surgery. I got lap band which isn't nearly as effective at gastic bypass but I still am down that I can't keep the weight off. I really wanted to do bypass but I didn't qualify. I lost 33 in the first 6 months and then plateaued off.. for about a year. I got my band in aug 07. I have put on about 20lbs in the last 6 months and I am worried. I have had a bought with kidney stones after surgery so they tested my thyroid back a year or so ago and it was on the low side. I am wondering if it is my thyroid as my mother and grandmother have an underactive thyroid. I am wondering if any of you don't feel your restriction anymore? I feel like with the band I have no restriction anymore. I just slowly started eating more and now im eating normal portions and don't even notice. I need a kick start to get back on track. My pcp didn't see my much in the last two year as most of my visits were with my surgeon for th band so he didn't have any record of my weight for the past two years so to him he doesn't see that I have gained suddenly. I am kind of at a loss.

katieseyes responded:
Yes it is extremely common. It seems the Gastric Bypass surgery had a high unsuccessful rate on long term. It seems our body gets used to the change and weight starts creeping on. I gained 50 back from predisone for my asthma and found out I had a mechanical failure and am now on Tuesday going through a revision. To this day I still can't eat to much without getting sick.

I wish you well.

kathleen

TRICEY821 responded:
I HAD A GASTRIC BYPASS ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2009. I HAVE LOST 42 LBS. MY FIRST MONTH I LOST 31 LBS AND SECOND MONTH I ONLY LOST 11 LBS. DOES THIS MEAN IM GOING TO LOSE LESS WEIGHT EACH MONTH. I DONT FEEL IM LOSING ENOUGH MAYBE IM JUST INPATIENT.......I STATED OFF AT 298 NOW IM 256. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO LOSE ANOTHER 100 LBS???

Diane28226 responded:
I have had the surgery 6/606 and was 286 before surgery and got down to 160 then gained back to 212.I take depression medication and it causes weight gain.I am interested in the lap band now.Don;t know if insurance will cover it .dellinsc@carolina.rr.com

skye34lv responded:
I had gastric bypass in 2000 which left me with a 12 inch scar down the middle of stomach. In 2000, they didnt have the option of having it done laproscopically. I weighed 307, went down to 178, and now 9 years later I weigh 263. It is so depressing because I put my body through a lot having this surgery. The doctor never explained to me that I could possibly gain the weight back. I thought this was a 'quick fix', and that I would have the surgery and one day wake up thin and beautiful. The really sad part is that I now cannot stand to look at my body nude. The back of my upper legs look awful - a lot of cellulite/bumpy patches to the EXTREME! It is really puzzling to me how I gained all this weight back since I still cannot eat a lot - and I don't eat a lot of sugar. I don't exercise regularly, but still this doesn't seem fair.

Lauren226 responded:
I recently started attending an online support meeting for Bypass, lapband patients. Go to www.bariatricangels.com/site. Meetings times are varied as listed below. I know what you are going through. but I believe that support is the key. See you online at a meeting.

Lauren

Schedule of Meetings Please Note All Meetings Times are Eastern Standard Time

Sunday 9:30 am to 10:30 am Monday 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm Tuesday 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm Wednesday 11:00 am to 12:00 noon & 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm Thursday 10:00 am to 11:00 am & 8:00 pm 9:00 pm Friday 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm Saturday 9:30 am to 10:30 am

TondaF responded:
Yes this has happened to me also. I had my surgery in Nov 2000, weighing 250lb, got pregnant right after that, delivery was good had no complications. I weighed between 150 to 157 from 2001 to Aug 09. My weight has pick up from 155 to 174lb and im having the hardest time trying to get it off. Where i leave has an fitness rom but who wants to go in alone when it ets dark around 5:45pm daily. So no exercise at this time. And I do take diet pills but I need something in conjunction to wourk. Any syggestions????????????????????????????