Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Weight Gain After Gastric ByPass
hangingon1961 posted:
Has anyone gained there weight back since having gastric bypass surgery. I was 295 and went down to 158.. I am now back up to 240. My eating habits haven't changed. I still vomit if I've eaten too much. I know 3 people this has happened to where they have gained all there weight back.

has anyone else have this happen to them?

leathamaegriffin responded:
yes I have gained I wish I could get the surgery again? I hate being fat or chubby.

NeeNee72 responded:
Oh wow! Im experiencing the very same thing. Im post op 8 years as of May 12th.
I was 299.5 day of surgery and got down to a healthy 145.
I kept most of the weight off until becoming unexpectedly pregnant in 2008 with my lil man.
My weight would fluxuate between 145-160 wich was ok with me.
After having my lil man my weight was ok...171
And I stayed that weight til my lil man was 10 months then I noticed weight gain.
It has gotten out of control.
I am now at 225lbs. not good.
Anyways...I have since been going to see a gastronologist/bariatric doctor to see whats going on and what can be done to fix the problem.
I had lots of tests done and I found out i have a stomach hernia,thyroid problems & anemia.
My primary doctor reffered me to this bariactric doctor I am now seeing and I am getting nowhere with him.
Honestly I think he's afraid to go over another doctors work.
It has become discouraging especially when all i do is walk everywhere I go and I see no results just weight gain so far and I know its not muscle. lol
I recently had my stomach xrayed to see if my opening and pouch have stretched out and the results from what the doctor (bariatric) says is that my opening and pouch are ok.
I dont understand then why am I gaining the weight?
Soooo...now he has scheduled me for an indoscope to see if theres another way to fix the problem.
I just did some research because I was told by him that my pouch is too small to put a gastric band on.
So I found out that theres a this procedure called "stomaphix"
Its where they go in with a scope (thru your throat) and basiclaly staple your stomach smaller.
hopefully that can be done because I can not take being obese again.
I want and need to be healthy for my lil man.
until then I will continue to walk and work out as much as I can.

NeeNee72 replied to leathamaegriffin's response:
SAME HERE...ITS HARD TO DO ALOT OF THE THINGS I USED TO DO BEFORE REGAINING.

maryhh99 responded:
Yes, I lost 60 pounds and gained back 40. Very depressing.

jojo3023 replied to NeeNee72's response:
I am 5 years post op. Lost 105lbs. and have gained back 30. I don't understand why. I exercise and eat properly. I looked into the ROSE procedure - which is the operation to staple the stomach a second time. There are no proven results if this will work and I will loose the weight. I am now going to hypnosis for weight loss and am down 12lbs.

I heard a report on the news today that 1 in 6 people gain ALL etheir weight back after gastric bypass. I'm not there and hope I have caught it before it gets worse.

Please keep posting and let us know any results that are working after weight gain after weight loss surgery.

shaver7254 replied to KC2survive's response:
Dear KC2survive,
I had my gastric bypass in 2000 and went from 315 pounds to 150 pounds quite quickly. Even though I had a very rough time at first, I was in a coma for 10 days, was unable to eat for 3 weeks, my husband would not let me go back to the doctor so I thought it was great that I could eat anything I wanted and didnt have to exercise and wouldn't gain weight. Well it took 11 years but it finally caught up with me. I have gained 50 pounds and refuse to go any farther. I have spoken to my doctor, as I have since been disabled from working due to severe depression, a.d.d, bi-bolar disorder and trying to commit suicide and she spoke to mayo clinic for some help. Starting Monday, I will go on a liquid protein diet for 2 weeks, the next week I will be on a healthy high protein, low carb, low fat diet, next week will be liquid protein again. After that we will see if that shrinks my stomach pouch enough to get me back to being able to exercise and eat properly and lose the rest of the 50 pounds. Talk to your doctor and see if they can refer you to a dietician for assistance. That's what I did and I think it's going to work!!!!!

kellyf979 responded:
I had my surgery 12*16*2002 and I went from 460 to 220, but I am now at 388 and I want to go back down!!!!! Please send any help you can!! God Bless,
Kelly

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to kellyf979's response:
Hi Kelly! You're posting to a thread that is 3 years old. I suggest you start a new discussion using the orange "Post Now" button at the top of this column.

Please share more specifics so this community and our experts can answer your questions - thanks!

Hayen

lcowley_0585 replied to NeeNee72's response:
OMG. I feel the exact same way. I walk, still cannot eat too much. Do not do fast food...and still gaining weight. Please let me know what they say bout stomaphix. I cannot take being obese again either. It is freaking me out to have gained weight and have to wear "plus" clothes again. I was 326 at surgery - lost down to 127 and now I'm 225. I am so depressed because I do not eat a lot-take my vitamins, was anemic and had to have iron infusions. I want the fat off of me for good. I am at a loss and I do not know where to go from here. Please give me any tips necessary.

meekins responded:
I HAD MY SURGERY IN 2000 I WAS 335 PDS. I GOT DOWN TO 150. AND I HAD TO HAVE KNEE REPLACMENT IN 2006 AND I GAIN UP TO 275. NOW I HAVE BAD KNEES BECAUSE THE KNEE REPLACMENT DIDN'T TAKE. MY FAKE KNEE HURTS WORSE THEN MY REAL KNEE SOME TIMES. HOW DO I LOSE THIS WEIGHT AGAIN I HAVE LOST ALL HOPE. EVERYONE THAT HAD IT WHEN I DID HAVE GAIN ALL THEY WEIGHT BACK TOO. I WANT TO LOSE IT AGAIN AND THIS TIME HAVE THE PLASTIC SURGERY AND REMOVE THIS LOWER STOMACH I HAVE HAD SENT I GAVE BIRTH TWICE BY C-SECTION. I WANT THAT LOWER STOMACH GONE.

buenna responded:
you said you did not change your eating habits, were your habits good to begin with, like no sweets, very little drinking wine if any, more protein than carbs, stuff like that? I quess what I am asking is do you think it was your eating habits that caused you to gain it back? Do Doctors or anyone give you guidence towards a support group like AAA to keep you on track after you lose the weight? Buenna

ghostraven responded:
yes i had my surgery in 2000 i went from 511 to 335 in a little over a year and that is after a loss of 100 on my own.
now 10 years later i am at 450 and fighting back and knee problems. i looked into the lap band and was informed "to bad for you no one will touch you, you are on your own" it is realy distressing because i want to be a good dad and be here for my family. i have tried every thing to reduce my weight on my own and run into wall after wall.
when i had my proceedure we were never instructed on post help or support groups just surgery then out the door with you and ready for the next subject.
i am afraid i will lose the battle and my family will lose me. any suggetions?

ghostraven replied to mamadukes7's response:
was told no one will do a second procedure because of the size of the pouch. i bet you were never told that your stomic repairs itself and that it wouldsome day go back to it's former size. the stomic is the fastest repairing organ in the human boby.

brunosbud replied to ghostraven's response:
My best friend has colon cancer (stage 4).

The other evening, she was talking about survival rates...how stage 4 has such low survivability rates after 10 years (<5%)...

I think there's great relevance between gastric bypass patients and cancer patients, actually...

Just as weight returns to people who have weight reduction surgery, so to, does cancer recur after periods of remission.

I told my friend to ignore "survivability rates". I contend the numbers suck because everyone "promises" to change (their lives) after chemo but, in actuality, very few do.

They return, again and again, to the scene of the crime: toxic foods, lack of activity, dysfunctional relationships, stressful work environments, unhealthy habits, etc...

Especially for women with children, how does one distance themselves from children(s) that cause nothing but grief? From spouses that constantly entice resentment. From family that not only practice unhealthy habits but discourage others from changing? Dysfunctional relationships can be just as toxic as fast foods.

Whether it be surviving cancer or remaining a healthy weight after GB surgery, the "survivability rates" are low for the same reason...

People swear they've "changed" and, in most cases, they have...

But, to order to change a lifestyle, you're not the only person that needs changing.

cartersonni replied to An_202396's response:
This is the first time I have been on this site but I feel compelled to respond to this entry. I had VGB done 7 years ago and lost extremely well and fast. I started at 245 and within 3 months had lost 75 pounds. By 10.5 months I hit the 100 lb.mark. I am 5'1 so that was a pretty good weight yet I continued to lose down to 122 (not my decision). Too thin but after a year of my body stabalizing at just under 130 and I didn't look so gaunt. I keep that weight for a few years then I started to inch up. I'd read that it wasn't uncommon to regain 10-15% after a few years so that meant 12-18 lbs for me. (That should have had me somewhere between134-140). Honestly, I could live with that given my age:58 and the fact the wrinkles weren't as noticable.
So you ask why I responded:
(1) I've started to gain more weight and want to know what could be the cause or if anyone else has noticed a change. Is it diet sodas? Splenda? Menopause? I am about to start a diet and attempt to get back into the 135-140 rather than nearly 160 as of this morning. I'd really like to hear from others that are having similar issues.
(2) Bariatric doctors aren't generally greedy, unethical people. They attempt to give us a new start on life and we sometimes are looking for "a miracle fix". We all know that they can only "attempt" to evaluate our mental state and the there is no magic formula to tell them who will follow the prescribed instructions and who will do their best to get around what we were told. People lie to themselves about why or how they got so fat and therefore will lie to the doctors just to get the surgery. It is up to us to do what we were told in order for success.
I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Helpful Tips

MOVE Program
If you are a Military Veteran, check out the VA MOVE program. It involved 6 short meetings with lots of information and discussion. I went ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.