Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
15 Yr Post Op RNY gastric bypass
chamois12 posted:
If I can be of any assistance to anybody out there that's ready to have their weight loss surgery and/or having major doubts, come talk at me....I'm ready to listen. If there was an excuse, I was ONE BIG one, way back in November 1992. I actually woke up to the results of President Clinton being elected! LOL

So, I'm living proof that it works, was 369 lbs., wore a size 30-32 (which they didn't sell in the stores, had to buy from the catalog) and could hardly walk 1/2 block before I had to stop and catch my breath.

Well, I started out with just the gastric bypass (compared to the "open" banding (open incision from bra line to navel) system but with staples). Had problems keeping food down as I wasn't chewing as well as I had to. I was the "dump" Queen!

Well, my gallbladder started going bad at that time and we figured that he would do the RNY gastric bypass at the same time. Well, he forgot to tell me that I would go lactose intolerant after this. Well, he did the revision to the RN-Y bypass, removed my gallbladder and fixed 3 hernias in the old incision. Boy, I was one hurting puppy after that one.

But I lost alot more, felt better and was able to eat without dumping a/k/a vomiting, or empty stomach pouch 101....LOL! Nobody without this surgery will ever understand food "getting stuck" unless they've had it. But I lost to about 184 and had lost just that amount, another human being. I wore a size 16-18 (the hips and thighs never went), but I was ecstatic! People were actually jealous of my weight loss. Yes, I had those fools that said "yeah you took the easy way out".....no! It's tough that first year, I will admit it, but follow your doctor orders to the T and you'll be just fine. He doesn't do brain surgery and you will want to snack, but DON'T, your open window period is one year, where 3/4 of your weight will drop off, and I do mean DROP!

I've stayed in the general vicinity between 184 and 200 for those 15 years and nary another pound over 200. The 2 people that objected to it, my mother and brother, are now heavier than I am....go eat a little "take back your words"! I can eat a fairly good amount of salad, noodles aren't so easy, but in time you'll find out what you can and can't eat! Your neighbor that had the surgery the same day, might be able to eat one thing you can't and vice versa!

BUTTTTTT, and that's a big BUT, YOU'RE NOT ALONE IN THIS! There's people that have been there and done that, and get the support you need. It's well worth it, I'd jump on that OR table again in 2 seconds, if they said my weight was coming back. And I still wish I were home in South FL where I had it done, cause I have questions of my own. But you gotta beat me to that OR table, if it ever reverses, you'll see the skid marks on the OR floor......ROFL!

Write to me, let me know how you're doing. I love this WebMD site and they have helped me in alot of other issues, but I'm glad to see they have this support group!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

realtreegrl responded:
Hi Chamois12...I had the RNY Weightloss Surgery in May 2005. I am 49 yrs old and will be the big 50 in July. I lost around100 lbs (314 lbs too 212 lbs). I am alot more agile and can walk and keep up with my 7 yr old son. Can I bring up a few symtoms I have since the surgery? ...

1. I can NOT drink milk. Extremely Lactose Intolerant. I do lactose pills. I must admit I do worry a little about my vitamin D and calcium intake not being enough. I drink soy milk and every once in awhile do protein shakes (you get soooo tired of them.) I do Calcium Citrate and Zinc to absorb. I eat a yogurt or cheese right before bed so I am asleep and don't feel the sickness. (crazy huh?!)

2. My energy level stinks. I take my Centrum, sublingual B12 w/ Folic Acid and B6. I am just plain lazy. I know it is not easy too be almost 50 and raising a 7 yr old (I am a single mother) but I have my good days and bad days. I want too exercise but I just keep putting it off. How about your energy level?

3. I have all my weight in my upper belly. The fat just sits there. It is amazing that everywhere else my body is normal with the weight loss except the big blob around the top of my midsection.

I have regular blood tests, dexascan and take vitamins and try too eat healthy (I never eat fried foods). BUT ...... I still crave sweets. Big downfall and they make me dump big time and I have too be careful when out in public. It could be very embarrassing.

Where is the support group on WebMD? I put in weightloss surgery and Bariatric Surgery under search for message boards and you came up ONLY.

Its been nice to vent to ya and if u get a chance please reply back. Take great care of yourself and remember have Faith, Hope and Love in your life!

newsomsoon responded:
I am 4 years out of gastric bypass and believe it was the best choice for me and my family. I am having my 1st true health issue since the surgery. I have anemia and my doctor has now set me up for iron infusion's that will be done at this time twice a week. I take iron as well as pre-natal vitimans and b-12 everyday, and as Im sure anyone else who has taken iron knows, it puts me in knots, but I keep taking it like the doctor orders. My question is WHY wont my body retain the iron? Can anyone suggest some foods that may help? Does anyone have any information/experience on iron infusions? Thank you

Butterjoy responded:
I AM MEMBER OF WEBMD AND I AM ALSO A MEMBER OF THE GASTRIC BYPASS, ETC. WEBSITE WHICH HAS A TERRIFIC INFORMATION AND MEMBERS. YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT.

obesityhelp.com

HOPE THIS HELPS. JOY

msvondak responded:
help I had RNY surgery in July/2008 and I have pain I've had my gallbladder out,and everything else obstruction ulcer,hernier repaired and I still have pain just below my breast bone. do anyone have and answers, my doctors have just sad forget me they do not know what is going on and will not treat my pain and it not their problem

bauerbabe responded:
I am hoping that maybe you could help me with some questions I have. I have a consultation with a Dr. next week for surgery....course I could be waiting a year after this to have the actual surgery done, I live in Canada Anyway, I was wondering what your thought were about stomach stapling vs. gastric bypass? I have a friend that is saying "no gastric bypass". She had her stomach stapled about 8 yrs ago and lost about 200 lbs. But as I read and read about both surgeries I'm finding more success stories with the gastric bypass. I weigh 275 lbs and am only 5'4", so I am in need of losing about 130-140 lbs. Everything you said about your surgery sounded so good. Any advice you may have would help...thank you for listening.

scooley1974 responded:
I think you wrote this just for me My name is Stefanie and in 2004 I broke my back and have had to have 10 surgeries. I have always been big boned and up until my injury i weighed around 170-190. As of today I weigh 304. I have had 3 years of steroids and injections and bed rest and the weight is not only making me feel horrible about myself but also it makes my back pain worse. I have tried weight watchers, liquid diest, and nothing works. I think i want to do the lapband but i am concerned because I contracted a staph infection from a neurostimulator that they implanted in me and eventually had to remove due to the infection so I am afraid of forein objects in my body now. I was just approved for my social security disability and am going to call tomorrow to try to get a consult soon. If you have any suggestions I would be grateful. My email is stefcooley@triad.rr.com if you would rather email. I am glad you ahve had good results. I truely don't eat alot of food so I am a little woried that this won't work. The majority of my problem is not eating the right thing and not being able to exercise enough. Thanks. Stef

shamikin responded:
Hi Chamois, My name Shami ! I just went to my first RNY meeting last week and I'm starting to file out the paper work and set up appointments this week. I'm excited, scared, weirded out about who to tell besides family etc. My Dr talks a lot on how important it is to each a lot of protein. What was and what is your average day in meals and excersize. Thank you for your time and advise- any will be helpful. Shami

johnsgirl74 responded:
HI Chamois12!! I have already received my insurance approval and am waiting for my surgery date...it is SO EXCITING to read your post and know that you would do it all over again! I am ready to take this step in my life and know that I need to simply to lengthen my life..I'm READY!!! My only concern at this point is telling my family....I haven't said anything b/c I didn't want to worry them if I didn't get approval but now that I have it and know I will be going through with it, how do I break it to them? By the grace of God I just found out that my mother had some sort of weight bypass surgery in '79 and may soon be in the process of reversing it as she is not abosorbing nutrients properly right now. Do I just tell them and see what their reaction is? How did you let friends and family know? My Mother is like your Mother and Brother.....I believe she'll object to it the worst (she's a TAD bit critical, HA!! She doesn't know that I know about her procedure either...all my life she's told me she lost the weight by couting calories....hmmmmm, huh? HELP!!

MARINEMOM199069 responded:
HI MY NAME IS PAM, I HAD THE RNY IN JAN 2004. I HAD A LOT OF COMPLICATIONS. DURING THE 1ST SURGERY THE DR. CUT A HOLE IN MY SMALL INTESTINE. IT TOOK 3 1/2 MOS. TO FIGURE WHAT WAS WRONG. NO OTHER DR. WOULD TOUCH.. THE DR. IN FT LAUDERDALE HAD A HISTORY OF NOT FIXING HIS REOCCURING PTS. AND I WOULD HAVE DIED HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THE DR. IN MY HOMETOWN OF PANAMA CITY. HE RECCOMENDED TO MY MOM THAT IF SHE DIDN'T GET ME TO A HOSP FAST THAT WOULD FIX ME I WOULD DIE. MY MOM STAYED ON THE NET FOR 7 HOURS. ONLY 2 DRS. WOULD TAKE ME. OCHNER IN N.O. LA OR A HOSP IN NEW YORK. NEEDLESS TO SAY I SPENT 17 DAYS IN N.O. THEY FOUND THE HOLE AND REPAIRED AND I HAVE NO ELASTICITY IN MY SKIN (SO IT HANGS) AND I LOST FROM 266 TO 97 IN 13 MOS. IMAGINE GOING FROM A 24 TO A KIDS 11. THE RINGS AROUND MY POUCH HAD GOTTEN INFECTED SO AUTOMATICALLY 2 CAME OUT. THEN THE LAST ONE CUT THROUGH MY ESOPHAGUS AND IMBEDDED TO MY STOMACH WALL. I HAVE HAD 12 BLOOD TRANSFUSION BECASUE OF VOMITING BLOOD TO DO THIS. EMOTIONALLY IT TOOK ITS TOLL EVEN THOUGH THEY TRY TO PREPARE YOU FOR THE EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL CHANGES YOU GO THROUGH. HERE IT IS 5 YEARS LATER I WEIGH BETWEEN 150-165. I WATCH MY WEIGHT CLOSELY. BUT I STILLHAVE ISSUES.

IF YOU WANT TO K.I.T. ABOUT THIS LET ME KNOW IT HELPS TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO.

VERY PROUD MARINE MOM PFC DUANE PAM

TonnieA responded:
I have been told that you need to take chewable vitamin C with your Iron. Vitamin C helps you absorb your Iron. Maybe this can help.

TonnieA responded:
I am so glad I found this cite. I am 2 months post op and 50 pounds lighter. I have been looking everywhere for someone who was still around and not having major complications and had surgery more than 10 years ago. So glad to read your journey. I am not having any complications, can eat pretty much anything I want, just smaller amounts. I am doing good as long as I eat really.....really..... slooooow and chew really.....really.....gooooood. Hope your journey continues to be a good one.

misskaybee responded:
I hope you realize gastric bypass and RNY gastric bypass are the same things. Unless you are referring to the OLD stomach stapling. I wouldn't recommend Gastric Bypass to anyone. Too many people gain all to almost all of their weight back.. Duodenal Switch is the best as far as long term results, you lose and you can maintain a loss. You are able to eat more foods, just have to supplement and focus on protein first (like RNY).. It can be customized to fit you.. Think twice, cut once! Email me if you have questions

2theFuture responded:
Hello everyone out there.....I would first like to tell you all i am proud of us for taking the first step in improving our health...I had always struggled with weight..My family always had food they are very emotional eaters, my mother always was if your sad happy angry any emotion eat it will make you feel better.....Not true at the moment it may but then you feel guilty and your angry for eating so you eat some more. I have had a thyroid problem since i was 12. So that didnt help...I was 325 the day of my surgery... I had it done December 2004 and i am now 176....I have been blessed with a wonderful husband and 2 children since my surgery....I was always told i wouldnt be able to have kids but Ive had 2..They are 3 and 17 months old....I had them pretty soon after surgery so it realy messed with my body....I stuggle emotionaly with eating there are more then less times i want to eat..I am thankful for my husband he realy helps me with it....I honestly think i am more self conscience now after loosing weight then i was before...I like more everyone after surgery have a lot of extra skin...I lost 3 bra sizes and realy dont see myself the way i am but still see myself as big...I agree people say we took the easy way out...But nobody knows our story I did every diet out there I exercised every day and could not loose weight or i would just yo yo...I am now having these realy bad pains in my stomach right under my breast bone as well and have no gaulbladder and in the last 3 weeks i have gone through an upper GI, 3 ct scans with contrast (when they put an IV in and put a substance like iodine in your veins) and they also want to do any indoscopy as well. they dont know whats wrong...I cant eat barraley anything...DOnt even think about meat because it will come right back up and i wont beable to move for hours...Its like there is air or something getting stuck...Like i said ive had 2 kids and this pain is worse then that, it feels like my stomach is going to burst....My dr said it seems as if the gasses from the food wotn go up or down but they cant find anything....I have also become anemic they have me on 975 mg of iron a day and im also hypoglycemic....SO we arnt supposed to have surgar and my pancrease is producing to much insolin so i have to try to figure out what to do,,,if anyone can help it would be fab....I have speels where i almost faint then i have to eat a peice of candy to raise my sugar then go through dumping and get the shakes and feel like im having a heart attack..Its crazy....Ok I think that is enough I hope we will all be able to help each other and we can all be happy with what life gives us...Im just thank ful for my husband and children they are what get me through...

Jabbie replied to newsomsoon's response:
I had the RNY in 1999, went from 389 to 112 lbs, and am feeling better than I can remember in years. At the time my surgery was done, my surgeon told me that I would have to be on children's chewables for the rest of my life. I have found that the vitamins and minerals that my body so badly needs are not in it long enough for me to absorb them! I have begun to look for all of the vitamins and minerals that I need to take in wither liquigels or liquid form. I get my Gummy Vites at Walmart or Costco and take at least 2 per day. Can you take the iron injections?

Hope this helped just a little, I know what you are going through and wish I could help more.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.