Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pop A Prune to Perk Up Your Heart and Bones
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Hey, before you write off prunes as something old folks take for digestive irregularity, listen up. There's brand new science showing that prunes (aka dried plums) are a simple and effective way to help prevent osteoporosis and fractures.
Who knew?Scientists believe that the prunes decrease bone breakdown and this is especially important for women who are just now entering menopause. Over the course of the first 5-7 years post menopause, bone loss can occur at a rate of 3-5% per year. And guys, this is your issue too. Although 8 million women per year will be diagnosed with osteoporosis, 2 million men are found to be losing significant enough bone to carry the diagnosis.
It turns out prunes are also emerging as a heart healthy fruit. What we already knew is that prunes reduce LDL and the fruit's pectin fiber is associated with reductions in cholesterol. Some even refer to prunes as a super-food due to its nutrient rich composition, including Vitamin A, fiber, potassium, magnesium and copper. The new news comes from a recent animal study in which mice highly prone to atherosclerosis had a significant reduction in their plaque development with prune powder.
How much should you consume? If you want to try it out for yourself, a simple thing to do is to take one prune along with each meal. Then, as tolerated, increase to 5-6 per day. 5 prunes are about 100 calories, so this is a good incentive to stay active and use this glucose fuel as you lift weights to strengthen your bones and keep you heart healthy as well.
Dr Peeke

Was this Helpful?
14 of 14 found this helpful

Tomato05 responded:
Yes, prunes seem indeed like some good little nutrient bombs.

One can use them well in cooking too - Middle Eastern cuisine often features prunes in meat dishes.

They contain vit. K too, which is also essential for bone health.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Prunes are not on my "radar" when I think of healthy foods so I'm putting it on my grocery shopping list right now! Thanks for the great information Dr. Peeke.

I think the prune industry should make it a priority to "re-brand" this fruit as "dried plums", don't you think?!?

Haylen

jis4judy replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Dr Peeke and Haylen
I bought some dried plums last week at costco and they are marketed as dried plums... I only bought them as go to snack incase I had the munchies thought maybe 1 would satisfy me .
It is good to know 5 or 6 is not that many calories and they are full of nutrition.. I also like fresh plums is the nutrition different ?
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 153ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
The prune industry is smack in the middle of a major rebranding campaign. Prunes have that funky stereotype. Dried plums is SOOO much more elegant! LOL

Dr Peeke

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy. Plums are a terrific source of fiber and natural energy through fructose. There's lots of Vit C, as well as A, B2 (riboflavin), potassium and only about 40 calories a hit.

It's a winner!

Dr Peeke

Tomato05 replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, prunes also have lutein and zeaxanthin, excellent for eye health.

Lindyinda responded:
I had heard this a a few mounths ago and have been makeing them a part of my daily diet. Not only for the bones but the potassium, both of which I need.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to Lindyinda's response:
And the great news for everyone is that I'll be you're more regular as well!

Dr. Peeke

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.