Want to Drop Weight? Eat Your Protein!
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Hi everyone. Here's a very simple tip to help you drop your excess pounds of fat. Eat enough protein! This is especially relevant for women who are often more partial to carbs throughout the day. Researchers at the University of Sydney in Australia found that when men and women consumed only 10% protein in their diet, they overate by a factor of 12% compared to people who'd been consuming 15% protein in their diets. What does this mean to you? Here are some real life tips you can use to drop that extra fat weight: (If you have any medical condition especially kidney disease, clearly you must always have your diet approved by your medical team)

1) Eat between 15-30% of your daily food intake as lean protein. That means if you're consuming 1400 cal/day and you want 20% to be protein, 1400 x .20= 280 cal/4 cal per gram = 70 grams of protein. Another quick way to determine how much protein you may need is to multiply .8g of protein per kilogram of your body weight. If you weigh 200 pounds/2.2= 91 kg x .8 = 72.8 grams of protein needed daily. These are, of course, rough estimates but they get you in the right ball park. The more physically active you are, especially in endurance activities, the more protein you need, driving the protein intake requirement from .8 to 1 or 1.2. Consult a registered dietitian if you're unsure how much protein you really need. They're terrific guides. Also use the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner to map out how much protein you need on a daily basis. It's a great resource.

2) Read food labels. Most people only look at calories, fat and carb when reading food labels. Add protein to you label reading. A regular yogurt has only 6 grams of protein while a Greek yogurt has 16 grams. Know what you're eating.

3) Spread your protein intake throughout the day. Don't wait until evening to have your protein. Your body needs protein throughout the day. Have some protein at every meal (lean poultry, fish, dairy, beans, nuts, eggs, soy) and try to eat your meals and snacks every 3-4 hours keeping portion sizes under control.

4) Add fiber to your protein to feel really satisfied longer. Research has shown that protein + fiber is the recipe for success for reining in appetite and cravings and keeping you feeling full and satisfied for 3-4 hours. Peanut butter on a banana or apple or multigrain cracker; carrots and hummus; low fat cheese and an apple; omelet and veggies; grilled chicken or fish and veggies. You get the point.

Good Luck and here's to your new best friend, protein!

Dr. Peeke
Was this Helpful?
29 of 29 found this helpful

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Great information Dr. Peeke!

I always have a hard time thinking of what to grab for a quick protein burst. I love the idea of peanut butter and hummus! And those can be packed in my kids lunches too.

Thanks,

Haylen

nursingbug replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I like greek yogurt, especially in smoothies. Hardboiled eggs, I eat a few a week.My 3 yr old likes harboiled eggs too.

Aarky responded:
I have tried numerous times to get my wife to throw away the so-called snack bars that routinely have 9 grams of sugar and 3 grams of protein. Soy flour and granules are 44% protein and a great source once I add them to oatmeal or meatloaf.