Skip to content

Announcements

Slow down to lose weight.
JCarrollV3 posted:
Did you know that it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain "I'm full"
If you are struggling to lose weight simply slowing down at meal time can help.

Here's an example: You decided to grill steaks for dinner. Your menu is steak, a baked potato and some nice fresh asparagus you found at the produce stand. Sounds like a great meal. So you plan everything out and have all the food ready at the same time. Time to eat! 15 minutes later you are all done eating, but maybe not quite full yet. Desert, OK, You have room. By the time you are done, the stomach is just begining to tell your brain to stop. Too late! You over ate
Now, let's have the same meal but, at your favorite steak house.
You place your order, they bring you a nice salad. You eat while conversing with your dinner partner. 15 minutes or so have passed and your meal arrives. You start to eat and before you can really get started, you realize you are not going to finish and will need a to-go box. You stomach had time to say STOP. You leave thinking, mmm great meal, more than I could eat. I'll be back.

This is planned in part by the restaurant owner. Sure, they don't want you to sit and wait with nothing to do but, they know that in order to get you to return, you need good food at a good value. They know that if your stomach has time to tell your brain "hey I'm full" you will have more than enough food! So, although this may their way of making you feel that you got a great value, It is also why you should simply slow down while eating! Try bringing your meal to the table in "courses" I'll bet you will find that you eat less while still feeling satisfied.
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.