Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

New To Forum - Trying to Lose FAST
FatKill posted:
Hello you all. I am new to the forum and it is great to be available to see all these great support and comments.

I am currently 19, 6ft tall, and 2.5 weeks ago, I was 207 (the highest it go).

I started on a vegetarian diet with occasional very very small amounts of tuna and very very rare amount of red meet (once a week). I do fast walk for 7 miles a day (1hr 45 mins). I eat around 500 calories a day.

As of now, 2.5 weeks later, I am at 188. My goal is to get to 160lbs by start of June. That is my "normal" weight and I miss my body from 3 years ago.

I have done 3 weeks worth of intense research on dieting. That is why I try to eat small but frequent amounts a day to reduce my body from going into starvation. I do fast walking as well for metabolism reasons as well.

When I get to 160, I will start eating more and continue to have a healthy lifestyle. I know for the next 40 days or so my habit will not be so healthy, but my main and only concern is to get to 160 pounds by start of June. (More personal determination goal than anything else)

Any suggest in terms of eating or working out plan will be greatly appreciated. I do not intend to increase the amount of calorie I eat daily unless it will help me lose MORE right away.

I have done soooo much research so I know pretty much all the basic knowledge you can find online. I guess I am looking for more personal experiences and advices outside the book that worked really well for certain people.

Thank you all for your help in advance!!
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

FatKill responded:
Quick addition: Will drinking frequent diet Coke increase my craving? I witnessed more craving for fatty stuff since I continued drinking diet soda. I figured the same part of brain that really enjoys sweetness is asking me to consume more of what tastes good, hence getting more general craving (sweet and fatty).

totallywiggedout replied to FatKill's response:
If you are dead set on putting your body into starvation mode with your existance/exercise output outpacing your caloric intake, then I'm begging you to at least keep yourself hydrated right. You must drink water or flavored non carbonated water. Shoot for at least 3/4 of a gallon a day. Skip the sodas for the entire duration of this "diet".
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
note that I in no way would say that I support you in your choices for how to lose weight. It's not healthy and could very well endanger you.
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
With all of your research, I'm surprised that you are still on a quest for fast weight loss and eating only 500 calories a day. If you are really committed to a life long plan of healthy eating, exercise and weight maintenance, you need to rethink your strategy.

The truth is that cutting calories below 1,050-1,200 per day is counterproductive , because you need strong muscles to be able to exercise effectively.

A direct quote from one of our experts: "When you eat too few calories you lose fat but also precious muscle, which is the worst thing you could do because it slows your metabolism and makes it more difficult to increase exercise intensity or duration".

Additionally: Weight loss experts agree that any rapid weight loss diet should be identical to a long-term, sustainable plan -- and not a fad diet. And fasting or cutting calories below 1,050-1,200 are not appropriate for the long term unless you are under a physician's care.

Dr. Pam Peeke, the expert for this community also commented on calories and weight loss in this discussion: Is there such a thing as eating too little calories ?

It's great that you are so motivated but I'm wondering why you seem so firm about not increasing your calories? And why do you want to lose so fast?

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to FatKill's response:
Also, here's a link to a variety of articles and studies about soda that might answer your question:

Diet Soda Directory

FatKill replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you all for the replies.

The reason why I was dead set was because I am trying to lose about 30 lbs in 40 days. It is just my personal goal till graduation. I have not achieved anything in life, and besides just to stay in shape, this is just a personal goal that I am dead on on setting. A goal.

After I get to 160, of course I will start with normal healthy diet with exercise. The reason why I was set at 500 was because I did some calculations and it really is almost impossible for me to get to that goal with eating 1000-1200 cal a day since I have limited time each day for working out.

But if there is a way that I can still eat around 1000 cal and still lose weight as fast as I could with just 500, in this 40 day period, I am really interested in hearing.

Thank you all again.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to FatKill's response:
First of all, if have a graduation coming, you have achieved in life! Take a look at your life - I bet you'll find more achievements than you are giving yourself credit for....And achievement counts - even if you don't reach it by a deadline!

I just want the members of this community to be healthy and able to maintain great habits for life.

I don't think you are going to hear encouragement from anyone to continue with 500 calories a day...

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.