Skip to content

Announcements

Low calorie things to eat
9Arlene posted:
Cut up a banana and freeze (I roll it in a little coconut first). It takes a while to eat each piece from the frozen state. Put lite yogurt (I like pineapple coconut-80 calories) in freezer, when frozen, chip away, again takes a while to eat. Sugar free 15 calorie ice pops. Chicken broth over whatever veggies are on hand or even romaine or lettuce chopped up or one of the lite soups poured over the veggies. I'll also heat up V8 with veggies. For a cheesecake treat try fat free cream cheese in the tub (kraft) with artificial sweetener added and even some cocoa. And sugar free jelly belly jelly beans keep me sane at night. Just 2.5 calories a jelly bean. Steam cauliflower until soft enough to put in a processor and eat like mashed potatoes, delicious. I hope some of these will help.
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

brunosbud responded:
9Arlene,

Excellent topic! Thank you.

Question: What would be the impact, if everyone simply ate a vegetable salad or vegetable-fruit salad before each and every meal?

Answer: It would be immeasurable...

Salads are nature's answer to gastric bypass, only, infinitely less, medieval. ref. Barbara Rolls book on volumetrics...please...somebody? anybody?

I like my "junk" just like everyone else. The only difference is I fill up on a salad, first. That's it...simple...game over...You can chat about the weather with your doctor and dietician...

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to brunosbud's response:
I agree! Great topic - and I like your strategy bruno. I find that the more I eat salads, the more I crave them.

Here is a WebMD Slideshow with low calorie snack suggestions:

25 Super Snacks With 100 Calories or Less

Haylen

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
follow up from post above...

One of my favorite columnists, Joel Stein, wrote the following in a recent Time article...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2113162,00.html

Here's a few excerpts...

"Since thin people can't enjoy life, we eke out pleasure by telling fat people how to lose weight, as if they don't know. Cook! Plant a garden! Read this posting of fast-food-menu calories! Buy fresh produce! Bike to work! Do stuff skinny folk would never do...

...But if you're living in an impoverished community where the future doesn't look like a rewarding adventure and instead requires all your energy to figure out how to get by this month, you're unlikely to focus on activities with long-term benefits such as studying, saving, marriage, being drug-free and spicing up quinoa. In their 1988 paper "A Theory of Rational Addiction," economists Gary Becker and Kevin Murphy argued that shooting heroin is a logical choice when all you're giving up is a crappy existence. It also explains why so many people do drugs when listening to Phish...

...I asked Charles Duhigg--whose brilliant book The Power of Habit is about how to trick your brain into making better decisions--what a better solution is. He said telling people to eat well so they'll live longer is idiotic. "The No. 1 way not to form a good habit is to say, 'In three months I'm going to look a lot thinner.' There's no way you can say the long-term reward is going to outweigh a sugar rush," he said. "If you see doughnuts on the counter, it will feel really urgent that you need a doughnut. That's your basal ganglia." One proven way of turning people off doughnuts is to talk about basal ganglia..."

The point is this...

Say, they discover that, by wearing "hairy" pantyhose, you can remove cellulite. Nice to know but what good is it?

Yes, eating a salad before every meal is the answer but, suggesting that people do this is insulting. Its pointless. Its no different than wearing "hairy" pantyhose.

Joel made me realize this...and, with that said, I'm really, really, sorry.

HeavensToBetsy replied to brunosbud's response:
This is a really, really insightful article. In the book "Don't Diet, Live It" by Andrea Wachter and Marsea Marcus, they discuss how we as a culture crave instant gratification which is why some people turn to bingeing (I am a recovering bulimic/binge eater, so I have found this book incredibly helpful and insightful). After all, why talk about how good we'll feel in the future when a pint of Ben and Jerry's will make us feel good immediately?

MistletoeLady replied to brunosbud's response:
Salads are a great way to help us out in our food intake. Vegetable salads are so healthy and can have such a great range in vegetables in each one. Example, when I make a vegetable salad, I begin with red leaf lettuce, chop up onions, chop very fine, garlic, grate ginger, grate some radishes, chop very fine, some celery, grate carrots, parsnips, zucchini, slice thin cucumbers, and often add much more. Then I also add thawed green peas if I cannot get fresh peas. This gives a very good variety of vegetables. Remember, it is a wide variety that will provide the phytochemicals, micro and macro nutrients we need for optimum health. Fruit salads can be done the same way.

For dressings, we use on vegetable salads, fresh squeezed lemon juice or we take Nancy's Plain Lowfat Yogurt and add herbs we like, garlic, onion, parsley, cayenne, rosemary, either as a blend of singly how ever we feel at the moment.

JKhealth replied to brunosbud's response:
I don't know, Brunosbud. The salads have been working pretty well for me. I wanted a sandwich yesterday, but mainly I think I wanted some bread. Seems to be about once a week I want bread. So I went to Subway and got the Veggie Delight, no cheese, no dressing, on foot-long 9-grain bread, 460 calories. Very satisfying.

Then today I didn't have much for breakfast or lunch and was really hungry. So I made a fairly large salad - spring lettuce mix, baby spinach, celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes, diced onion, 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 tbl Newman's Own Sesame Ginger Dressing - 320 calories. I'm full and satisfied.

Since Feb. 28 this year, I've lost 29.5 pounds. So the salads and super foods have been working pretty well for me. The best part is after 11.5 weeks, it is becoming easier and more natural for me to eat three healthy meals a day, no snacks, no desserts. I'm craving those sweet and empty calories less every week that goes by. Maybe in a couple more months of healthy eating, those empty calorie foods won't even be tempting and will just seem like the toxic substances they really are. Fingers crossed.

I really do feel like I'm developing some healthy habits that I can truly live with for the rest of my life. Now wouldn't that be wonderful?

So don't give up on us, Bruno. You've been a big help to me, very encouraging. Thank you.

brunosbud replied to HeavensToBetsy's response:
Hey, HeavensToBetsy, I am so happy that you are addressing your illness and finding success. Thanks for sharing your experience.

brunosbud replied to JKhealth's response:
I shared the article, JK, because I wanted to make a point...albeit, have some yuks, too. lol

I eat salads before every meal because it's "proper" food.

When I say, "proper", I mean it provides good nutrition and energy to allow my body to work at optimum efficiency, yet, its easy to get out. There is very little discussion on diet boards about eliminating food waste. The reason? Little is understood and few care. The fewer the ingredients & more fiber, the easier food waste can be removed by the digestive & lymph system, urinary tract and skin.

This is why salads are "proper" food. My body can not only process and extract good nutrition, it can get it out after I eat it. note: Exercise is the other critical half of this equation and can't be overemphasized in importance. It doesn't matter how much "proper" food you eat if you are sedentary.

There are many "proper" foods to eat; Obesity is about not eating enough of them. We are eating foods containing ingredients our body was never designed to dispose of.

and, as the samurai would say, "hara-kiri"...falling on your own sword...

micalhas responded:
You are right in this statements. Low calories eating things are helpful to keep body at a certain figure. Fruits, green arteries, nuts, dry fruits, salad these are rich in terms of essential vitamins and minerals.
I drink 2 glass of water before eating, it keep control body at a certain figure.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.