Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Some of o ur favorite snacks
MistletoeLady posted:
We love snacks as much as anyone. My husband is a diabetic and has Congestive Heart Failure as well. In 2003 he was given 2 years to live, so I took his diet into my own hands. It was the cause of many arguments for many years, but, finally, he sees the wisdom and benefits of eating more healthy!

I don't use white flour for anything, period. I have a grain grinder and grind our own flour. I use a variety of grains we use, wheat, oats, barley, spelt, and now have added quiona to the list. I grind what I need just before using it.

I also do not use artificial sweeteners. They are not heart healthy! I was using sucanat, and have now discovered Coconut Sugar! It is wonderful and only raises my husband's blood sugars a maximum of 25 points over a 2 hour period. Stevia is another good one, not Truvea, Stevia leaves, the herb itself, not the artificial product disguised as a healthy product. My husband just happens to not like the taste of stevia. However, I am growing some to see if the fresh picked, freslhy dried leaves make a difference for him. If so, stevia will take over in place of Coconut sugar. Herbs are always our friend!

I make cookies and add healthy ingredients as I remove the white flour, and sugar. I use coconut oil for the shortening as well. This all adds up to a bonus with weight loss and blood sugar control.
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

emmyml responded:
I also have to watch the sugar in everything because I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I would love to see some of your sugar-free recipes.

Mary

conniejuicer responded:
I recommend the Documentary,"Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." I truly believe that if you drink all of the micro nutrients your body needs in a day-you allow your body to self heal. Think of when you have a skinned knee-your body heals it! If you give your body all the "equipment" meaning nutrients, it helps to speed your healing. I am not recommended he fast. I am recommending that he supplement his diet with a green juice drink. I have several clients that are diabetics and do this and it helps them tremendously!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
272 of 337 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.