Skip to content

Announcements

July 4th Maintenance Tips -- Share Yours!
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
When we're trying to stick to a weight loss plan, food-related holidays can be poised to sabotage our best efforts.

Take a moment to share with us how YOU are planning to stay on track during this year's July 4th festivities.

Here's mine:

Little bites & focus on the veggies -- Putting the healthy foods on my plate first and a couple of little bites of something I feel like I can't live without but just need a taste of.
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

SoCalSuz responded:
We go to an annual picnic that has a bake-off. The desserts look sooooo amazing, I just have to have some sort of "treat".

So I bring strawberries, blueberries and light whipped topping for a "Red, White & Blue" dessert.

Suz

EleanorAnne responded:
Hi Olivia -

Small tastes and lots of water. I try to keep a glass of lemon or cucumber water in one hand at all times.

Chips are my weakness. Once one goes in it is difficult to stop. I find if I don't start I don't need to worry about stopping!

Ellie

monamia responded:
I find it's easier to eat healthy for summer vacations than for the winter ones simply because I WANT to drink plenty of cool water, eat summer fruits and fresh salads. So, for me, it's about sticking more to those and thoroughly enjoying them.

grgram responded:
Maybe I shouldn't say this but after many, many years of failure, I've finally learned to go off my regular eating plan for a meal then get right back on the eating plan. Doing this used to be impossible for me and that's why I hesitated to post this. I don't want to lead anybody astray. I know that sometimes well-intentioned people like to give us permission to go off our diet and that drives me nuts. I've had lots of problems with family and friends telling me I can do it "just this once". I used to say that "there is no such thing as JUST ONCE, only the FIRST time". I can do it now but it's crucial to get right back on your eating plan immediately and not wait until tomorrow or Monday. If you already know this won't work for you than please don't do it. Knowing your limitations is very powerful if you really respect them. I know which foods I must leave alone because once I start I won't stop until it's gone or I'm sick. Good luck with this and all the holidays because food is involved in all of them.

totallywiggedout responded:
Since my bf and I are heading to a State Park where there are grills and picnic tables galore, I've already started putting veggies and meat chunks in ziplocks to marinate. I'm doing up skewers to grill and taking a big tub of watermelon chunks and some grapes. For pre and post lunch munching I'm taking homemade pita and corn chips with eggplant "caviar", hummus, guac and salsa.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

rohvannyn responded:
I focus on fruits and lean meat for summer celebrations. You can make some awesome kebabs, a very healthful dish, and they can be tailored to anybody. Veggies, mushrooms, lean meat, fruit, all kinds of stuff. Grilled skinless chicken breast, grilled fish, grilled prawns. In fact, summer cooking is really good for a Paleo diet if you follow one like I do. I like to go nuts on melons and try all different kinds when they are in season. Same for tomatoes. Cold soups are good too, as is anything peppery! Light up your food and give yourself some real flavor. If you like hot stuff, that is! This is a great time to enjoy fresh fruit and other produce.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Olivia
yesterday was My Hubbys Birthday so we went out for lobster
very light I did have a couple of fried clams and a couple of onion rings as appetizer drank only water , and came home for dessert . we made strawberry shortcake with angel food cake added raspberries and blueberries as garnish on the whipped cream from pressureized can .. this was a light and indugent type of celebration meal ..
when I took this all apart and added it up in fitday
my whole day was under my calorie allowance
breakfast was my usual I had a salad with tuna for lunch
everything I ate was under 1400 cals
it is very neet that everyone was celebrating on my hubbys birthday
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to jis4judy's response:
Happy Birthday to your hubby Judy! Sounds like you made it very special for him

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.