Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Looking inside
TraxWalker posted:
I'm overwhelmed by your courage and effort in losing 100 pounds. But I know that when I've lost a lot of weight and regained it, it was out of fear. Perhaps you need to look inside yourself and honestly determine what is blocking you. Until you find it, you'll just lose and regain over and over.
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Rochelle98 responded:
Ihave done that, My husband even like the way I looked, I don't uunderstand why I did it and the next time I lose it its going to stay off. If I can get back on the road

totallywiggedout replied to Rochelle98's response:
Hi Rochelle,
Have you ever seen a landslide, or one of those big snow mountain avananches? It didn't have to be in person, even on tv or on the net, they are impressive....
Did you notice how they always start with just a few little displaced rocks or just a little puff of snow sliding down the cliffside?
I'm using these as a sort of metaphor for your losing weight and then letting it slip back on.
For the most part, anyone, no, EVERYONE that has done this falls back into the same old routine of thinking, "well, hell. I had a munchie day, so I blew it. I failed to stay on track. I can't do this , obviously. It's too hard. It's no fun. I like food....I like to eat what I want and damn it, I'm gonna DO it."
You see how even a normal defeatist thought pattern can avalanche out of control? Right there, I went from a small, one day munchie attack, to being a failure, to making myself believe I was able to do it, to accepting defeat and then.... going all the way down the cliffside to giving myself permission to go ahead and eat and gain all that hard earned weight back.."damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead".!
Fact is, if you want to lose the weight, it has to be for you and you only. It's nice when people notice, and it's really nice that your hubby appreciated a slimmer you... but you have to want it bad enough to get and keep control. For yourself.
One munchie day doesn't mean you can't do it. One munchie day is NOT a full blown failure. One munchie day is NOT there to give you permission to have another the very next day, and the day after and so on.... That one day is one of many on your long journey of many days of trying to be healthier and slimmer. If you slip and have one, take note of why you felt it was ok to eat like you did then get back on with eating to nourish your body and not to feed your cravings.
You know how to lose weight. You need to refocus and get on with it.
good luck
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks for your posting. It's so important to honor that inner journey.

Regaining weight involves so many elements. I like to lump them into my template of MIND MOUTH MUSCLE.

Mentally, somewhere along the line, to gain weight, people feel overwhelmed, stressed, helpless, hopeless and defeated. You get lost and off track. You become more mindless and next thing you know your clothes are tight. This starts another vicious cycle of blame shame and guilt which stresses you and leads to more overeating. You stop exercising and drift.

Take a breath and a moment to think about all of this. In my new book THE HUNGER FIX, i outline how to identify deep mental themes that become road blocks. As well, overeating sugary/fatty/salty food combos also leads to becoming hooked and addicted to those products as well as the life that enables this overeating. In the book, i help you see that you can reverse this using science based tips and tools.

There's a great book by Frances Kuffel---Passing for Thin--- in which she identifies her own journey dropping 150 pounds. It's a terrific read and may also be helpful.

Good luck!

Dr Peeke

Helpful Tips

The Venus Factor Review
Here Is the Review Of Venus Factor Scam For the Complete Solution of Weight Loss: Get Prevention from Exta fat forever. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.