Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Folks with Weight Loss Surgery---Watch out for Addictions Post Surgery
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Hi everyone. For anyone considering weight loss surgery, or anyone who's had it, make sure you are aware of a problem that may crop up post surgery. This research is hot off the press. People who have had bariatric surgery, especially those with the classic Roux-en-Y bypass, may be at increased risk for addictions post surgery, including smoking cigarettes, alcohol and drug use. Here's what the study authors said:
"Studies have shown that drugs, alcohol, and food trigger similar responses in the brain and that bariatric surgery candidates whose condition has been diagnosed as binge-eating disorder (BED) display addictive personalities similar to individuals addicted to substances. Therefore, alcohol and drugs (including nicotine) are likely to substitute for overeating following WLS [weight loss surgery."
Make sure you have an excellent support team pre and post surgery to include a psychologist who can monitor any problems you might develop over time. Be honest about any addictive behaviors you may have prior to surgery and let your team know about this, as well as your genetic family history as it relates to addictions.
In my new book The Hunger Fix which is all about the new science of food addiction, we really make certain people are aware of these tendencies toward cross addiction, and make everyone aware that you need to be vigilant about the possible emergence of these other behaviors.
Meditating on a regular basis and daily physical activity are terrific to curb these tendencies and to keep people on track.

Dr. Peeke
Was this Helpful?
8 of 9 found this helpful

MtnMarmi responded:
Thank you, Dr. Peeke. Where is that quote from? I'd love to make reference to it. I'll be sure to order your book, too.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to MtnMarmi's response:
HI there. Here are two great references for you to read:
http://www.epidemiology.pitt.edu/news/News_Display.asp?link=463
http://newsatjama.jama.com/2012/06/18/author-insight-after-bariatric-surgery-patients-have-a-greater-risk-of-alcohol-problems/

This was a very pivotal study and goes hand in hand with the new research on food addiction. In my book, The Hunger Fix, I noted that there is for many an issue cross addiction. This is very likely for compulsive overeaters. We have noted weight gain to the point of obesity in people who have ceased other addictions--- from smoking to alcohol and drugs. Researchers believe that all addictions seem to use the same neurobiological channels for activation. While one addiction is dominant, the others seem to be masked. Clinical investigation about this is now ongoing.

The bottom line for everyone is to beware another addiction rearing its head. Prevention and planning are so critical here.

Good luck

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.