Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

A Smoothie Success Secret
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Everyone's looking for a way to feel full and satisfied without going overboard. Let's look at drinks. Which ones make you feel most satisfied and suppress hunger the most? Not sure? Researchers have discovered that it's not the thin and non-creamy drinks that we associate with being full. The creamier and thicker drinks win out.
But wait. Is it the creaminess or the thickness or both that leave you feeling the like your hunger is gone and you are done already!

Drum roll: it's the thickness that wins out. So, the key is to create drinks that have a creamy and thick texture. Sounds like a protein smoothie to me. Now you can see why i love to use them for meal replacements in a pinch and/or a mid-afternoon snack. You can use whey, rice or soy protein powders.

Here's a favorite from my new book The Hunger Fix. Maintain an active lifestyle and you'll love this smoothie even more. The carbohydrates, protein and fats are high quality and will help satisfy and fuel you through your busy day.
Enjoy!

Dr. Peeke

Chocolate Cherry Almond Smoothie
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup chopped cherries, pitted
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 ounce almonds, whole
1 scoop (24 g) whey protein powder 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
Makes 1 serving (about 11/4 cups)
Per serving: 348 calories, 25 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 8 g fiber, 130 mg sodium
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Dr. Peeke,
I've got a couple of smoothies that I rely on, high fiber too
with heart healthy fats

Big Green Meanie
1 1/2c Original Almond Silk, soy milk or low fat milk
1/2 frozen avocado(peel, split and depit, then wrap individual halves in plastic wrap then store in ziplock)
2 Tblsp dry Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix
1-2 packets stevia
Blend till thick and smooth

Mocha Java Avocado Smoothie
1/2 c cold leftover coffee
1/2 frozen avocado
2 Tblsp Hersheys Unsweetened cocoa powder (any type, Dutch, dark or reg)
2 pkts stevia
1 c Almond silk , soy milk or low fat skim milk
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Helpful Tips

Fast and easy
I have always found that eating healthy and cutting back on sugary drinks has worked for me. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.