Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Why Acid Alkaline Diet Works?
Adnetwork posted:
Alkaline acid diets are diets that stresses on a varying amount, roots, tubers, nuts, legumes, fresh fruit and vegetables. Some people also refer to it as alkaline diet or acid alkaline diet.
History
Our hunters and gatherers ancestors ate a diet that is extremely different from what is typical now. The diet contained less animal foods and processed plants. However, with the beginning of agriculture, the typical Western diet changed significantly.
• Polished grains were obtainable after the discovery of automated sifting and rolling machines.
• Domestication of livestocks led to introduction of milk and other related products.
• Salt intake rose when tools of mining, as well as process, and means of transport became available.
• Eating of meat rose with animal farming.
• Intake of sugar has increased since the commencement of Industrial Revolution.
Nearly all foodstuffs that we consume, after undergoing digestion, absorption, and metabolism, liberate either an alkaline or an acid into the blood stream. Foods such as poultry, milk, fish, salt, grains, meat, and milk all secret acids; therefore, the introduction and increase in intake of diet rich in these foods means that the normal Western diet was more acid producing. Eating of fresh vegetables and fruits reduced, which made the Western diet even more acid producing.
Human blood is somewhat alkaline, with a typical pH level of 7.35 to 7.45. The basis behind the acid and alkaline diets is that the food we consume should mirror this pH level and be to some extent alkaline. Opponents of alkaline acid diets suppose that acid-producing diets disrupt this equilibrium. This encourages the loss of vital minerals like magnesium, calcium, sodium, and potassium, as the body attempts to restore the stability. This instability is believed to make individuals prone to diseases.
Why do individuals try the Acid Alkaline Diets?
According to several unconventional practitioners, the move to acid and alkaline diets is the foundation of several chronic illnesses. A number of practitioners advocate for the alkaline acid diet if an individual has the symptoms outlined below in absence of other illnesses. These symptoms include lack of energy, recurrent flue and colds, too much production of mucous, headache, irritability, anxiety, nervousness, benign breast or ovarian cysts.
Even though conventional physicians do agree that increasing the intake of vegetables and fruits as well as reducing the consumptions of refined grains, meat and salt, is advantageous to health, the most of them disagree that acid-producing diets is the basis of chronic disease. In modern medicine, there are facts, though, that alkaline acid diets may assist in preventing the formation of calcium that causes kidney stones, osteoporosis, as well as age associated muscle wasting.
Research
Extensive, well-designed scientific studies on the efficacy of the alkaline acid diets for general well-being are wanting.
Safety concerns of these diets
It is an excellent idea to seek medical advice from a medical practitioner prior to trying a new diet. Individuals with severe kidney problems should avoid acid producing diets except under physician's supervision. Individuals with pre-existing heart illness in addition to those on drugs that have an effect on levels of potassium in the body should confirm with the physician first.
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

brunosbud responded:
I hope Mayor Bloomberg demands that PH of all meals be, clearly, printed on the menu...either that, or, free litmus paper for all diners in New York city.

PetuniaPea responded:
Ever since incorporating more alkaline foods and decreasing highly acid-forming foods (especially those containing sugar) and beverages like coffee--it's almost been a year now! I've felt better, more energized, less pain, and even dropped a few pounds (they melted off like butta!). I even wrote a few blog myself about the importance of that alkaline/acid balance!

I watch shows like The Doctors and Dr. Oz, and they're always giving the latest tip on increasing energy...a vitamin, a tea, an elixir, an exercise move...I find it somewhat funny AND frustrating because the answer is so simple!

For more energy, try eliminating sugar, excess coffee (or get rid of it completly! I did because it was making me more tired, I was overworking my adrenal glands!), processed foods and fast food. Then add more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and seeds! Instant long-term natural energy!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.