Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Pitch the Processed Fructose
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Hi everyone. New research has shown that the fructose found in processed and refined foods decreases hormones in the brain and body that help you feel satisfied, and the result is that your appetite actually increases leading to your overeating. The Yale U researchers noted that when the brain is exposed to this processed chemical (processed fructose) it alters the brain's ability to perceive fullness, and stokes your appetite so that you just keep eating.

In the editorial accompanying the article, it was noted that:
"...the advances in food processing and economic forces leading to increased intake of added sugar and accompanying fructose in U.S. society are indeed extending the supersizing concept to the population's collective waistlines."

Bottom Line Tip: Pitch the Processed Fructose. Stick to appropriate servings of natural sugar found in fruit, preferably watery fruit like apples and citrus, to add a touch of sweet to your nutritional intake. Eliminate or greatly reduce refined sugar so that you don't get a double whammy of processed fructose as well as refined sugar hijacking your brain and packing on the pounds.

Dr. Peeke
Was this Helpful?
9 of 10 found this helpful

SharonNVirginia responded:
Thanks Dr. Peeke,

I have read "Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It" by Gary Taubes. My current diet (first one I have been able to stick with in 10 years) is based on cutting out the sugar, white flour and white rice and I can attest that the study you reference is correct.

Not only do I feel satisfied after a meal but also when I become hungry again it is not the desperate eat anything right this minute hunger I knew before.

Since I am 59 and in poor health, I am aiming for a slow weight loss of 1-1.5 pounds per week and achieving it with manageble effort. I can envision that in a year or two I will achieve my ideal weight having already adopted the lifestyle I will keep for the rest of my life.

brunosbud replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Cutting out processed sugar and refined carbs is the most critical step.

For the past 50 years, it's been all about cutting "calories"...
...Where has cutting "calories" gotten us?

It's "what", not "how many". Refined sugar and processed carbs flood the blood stream of glucose which, in turn, illicits the production of gross amounts of insulin to rid the "poison" from the system. Then, hunger sets in, soon after...You just ate an hour ago and you're thinking "food", again. What animals on this planet feed, constantly, like this throughout the day?

Only the ones that eat fish!

slow metabolism?...family genetics? Eating "healthy" and daily exercise does not work!

Not hardly...Sugar is addictive. And, we are all addicts.

wsansing responded:
How can I post a new question? My wife and I are middle-agers and trying to improve our life-style and recently tried PLexus to much dissappointment. Can you recommend cleanse and weight-loss products? Or do we just need to eat less, exercise more, drink water, and rest.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.