Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help me from Self Sabotage!
thejaybird posted:
Hi everyone!
This Friday I will be coming up on my first week of my weight loss goal and I have dropped about 1.5 lbs. Its small, but I am proud that I'm committing myself to lose weight in a healthy way. I am a college student and its difficult to walk into the food court or cafeteria and not envy everyone eating heavy pastas and cheeseburgers, but I know that I'm in a crucial point in my life where I need to get my weight under control and break bad habits while I'm young. I never realized how much I eat. I love to eat when I'm stressed and tell myself that I need the energy in order to stay up and finish my work, but really, I just need some comfort and distraction. I also am a big fan of eating in private. I never eat in front of my friends (specifically my guy friends) because I feel self conscious.Once I get back into my room, however, I start to eat a little bit of everything I see. I filled my fridge with healthy snacks like yogurt and fruit, but still, too much of a good thing can turn into a bad thing without portion control. I don't know how to remedy these issues, but I need help quick because I am afraid that I'll sabotage myself!

brunosbud responded:
A few truths I've learned...

• Provided you remain calm and patient, the worst things in life will eventually become the best things in life.
  • It's OK to be afraid, just don't live life in fear, and
  • Don't sweat the small stuff...which, aside from cancer, is pretty much everything...

Oh yeah, one more...

Don't use the term "OMG!!!" It lowers expectations of your capabilities...

3point14 responded:
Would you call yourself a perfectionist? I only ask because your attitudes about eating in front of other people is a little worrisome. It's just food, ya know? Everyone has to eat to live, and I don't think anyone judges even HUGE people for eating a meal. So just don't worry about it. Seeing food as fuel will be a lot less stressful for you than seeing food as something to be made fun over!

To keep yourself from snacking too much, do other things. Take a walk when you're stressed about homework, find comfort in a hot shower or a phone call with a friend instead of snacking mindlessly. Maybe even do the shopping for your dorm by the day, so you only have a days worth of fruit and yogurt around and cannot snack anymore. Make sure you're eating enough protein and fiber to keep yourself full, and eat smal portions throughout the day to keep your metabolism humming. Drink a lot of water, too.

I'm youngish too, 23, and I feel the same way you do. Gotta get this in control when I'm young enough for my skin to bounce back! I've lost almost 30 lbs in the past year, with another 20 or so to go until I'm where I want to be. It's been a lot of exercise and a lot of mindful eating, but it's really worthwhile. Keep up the good work! You can do it!

thejaybird replied to 3point14's response:
Thanks for the advice. Its definitely helped me get some perspective on my weight loss and eating habits!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 26 year old female looking for a healthier life I started at 180 pounds I would like to be down to 150 pounds before the summer. As of March 1...More

Helpful Tips

Weight loss coffee
I just started using a new gourmet instant coffee that helps reduce appetite, eliminate cravings, reduce portion sizes, decrease stored ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.