Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Here I go....
An_243915 posted:
This is the first time I've done anything like this and while I'm a little skeptical, I'm hoping that there are people out there like me.

I'm 27 years old female, 5'5 and 160lbs. 160lbs - I never thought in a million years that I would be at this weight. I watched my weight slowly creep up and continued to make excuses until this morning, I got on the scale and almost started crying. But unlike other times, when I've made disparaging remarks about myself, I decided that I'm going to change this and take control of my weight, diet and exercise regime.

What I need from you, as a community, is to let me know that there are people like me out there! Who have always struggled with their weight and are now succeeding in losing weight. I am fully aware of the proper exercise and eating habits but in a strange way, I need the help of strangers to know that I have people backing me up and who have been in my position. I'm scared that I'm setting myself up to fail (again) and perhaps with the support of others, this journey will seem a little less daunting.

Thank you!

vicpen1 responded:
Hi there,
I too got up this morning, got on the scale and it read a whopping 142 lbs! For me, on my 5'2" frame is a lot of weight. This is the highest my wieght has been in about 16 years. I too felt like crying. Just reading your post made me realize that I'm not the only one out there struggling with weight issues. I know that together we can give each other the motivation we need to meet our weightloss goals.
This is my first time posting here, but it sure won't be my last. When you have other people dealing with the same issues as you and they share how they have overcoem them, it gives others the confidence to do likewise.
I propose we start today on this weighloss journed together. I had a salad for lunch and bypassed the coconut cake that was in the conference room in celebration of one of my colleague's birthdays. I opted for my lowfat yogurt instead. Tonight I will hit the gym and plan to eat a healthy dinner and try my best to do it all over again tomorrow
Vicky

Tomato05 responded:
Don't despair - just think that thousands of other people manage to lose weight, and they don't have any special abilities that you and I don't have.

It is a matter of gradually eating less, and of doing it for a fairly long period, in my case probably about 3 months. It needn't even involve being severely hungry!

I try to look at it as a series of "adjustments" to what I eat, rather than "dieting".

716151 responded:
Me Too! I have never been on a web site for dieters, but I need help. This morn. the scale read the #168. I know the right way to eat and I know to exercise. At work I am on the go all day, but I know I need to add sceduled ex to my day. I need help from you guys. Thanks

Foreverinyoureyes2 responded:
Welcome!!

I am 5'4" and started this journey on Jan 1st weighing in at 159.0. This is pretty close to my highest non pregnant weight ever, so I know how you feel when you say you wanted to cry when you saw the number on the scale.

I promised myself that it was the LAST time I would see that ugly number!

This morning my weight was 142.6. I have lost 16.4 pounds!

I feel a lot better physically, mentally and emotionally!

You CAN do this! I have discovered that works for me is to remind myself every day that this journey is all about choices. Making good/healthy choices isn't always easy, but it is always rewarding for me.

My plan is just to eat a well balanced diet of lean protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies and low fat dairy. I eat 3 meals a day and a snack in the afternoon. Occasionally I will have a treat after dinner if I have room in my calorie plan for it.

I also try not to eat very many carbs after 3pm. (I am not low carbing, I eat oatmeal for breakfast and my snack is often an apple w/ some peanut butter, but I find I do better if I have protein and veggies only at my dinner meal.)

Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress!!

shebasmom13 responded:
when i started my healthier living plan here on web md i felt lost and alone until i found this community it helps me motivate myself and not feel so helpless there is so much support from strangers on here its amazing when i started i weighed 180 i am 5'5 and 26 now i weigh 165 almost down to my 160 goal and after i meet my 160 goal i will be going for my 150 goal i wish you the best of luck and the web md food and fitness planner has helped me alot

lexygirl18 responded:
I am one of those people. When i was 16 years old, i weighed about 210lbs, now i weigh about 125-128lbs. I can tell you one thing, it was hard work! But what I have found that if you take it step by step then I'm sure that you will get to your goal! Don't try to do to much, you can't eat a whole elephant in one sitting it's going to take a while but if you really want results just stick with it! Keep yourself as motivated as you can, think to yourself that all this work will pay off and you will be successful!

blue_eyes_1984 responded:
Wow. I am completely overwhelmed with all of the amazing responses!! It's really comforting to know that I'm not the only one out there who is fighting the weight battle. For anyone interested, I've started reading this book "Secrets of a Former Fat Girl" by Lisa Delaney. This is the first time that I've really resonated with a self-help book and I highly recommend it.

I will definitely be updating all of you on my weight loss and starting my 'new normal' life. Thank you all for your support!!

blue_eyes_1984 replied to vicpen1's response:
Hi Vicky,

I think it's a great idea that we do this weight loss journey together! Why don't post our week's results every Monday - it will definitely keep me motivated, knowing that I have someone to share my progress with! Stay strong and just know that we're doing something to better our life and ourselves! I'll post back here on Monday with my results!

Lyndsey

blue_eyes_1984 replied to blue_eyes_1984's response:
Hi Everyone!

So, I weighed myself today, and there was no change in my weight. I'm not disappointed simply because last week my fridge was broken, so unfortunately my meals were not exactly healthy. With that being said, with a brand new fridge means a brand new meal plan

Stay tuned for next week!

Tomato05 replied to blue_eyes_1984's response:
Enjoy the new fridge and eating all the nice fresh food that you'll store in it!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 29 I have two children.A son 9,a daughter 10mths.I have always struggled with my weight.For once I would like to do something about it!!

Helpful Tips

Weight loss coffee
I just started using a new gourmet instant coffee that helps reduce appetite, eliminate cravings, reduce portion sizes, decrease stored ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.