Skip to content
Cheat day overload
can_do_attitude posted:
Hello to everyone! I am new to this community,and look forward to the help this commu ity can offer me, as well as what I can do to help others...

I hate sabotaging myself sometimes.i have been able to exercise 4-6 dpw last 4 months,yet it's the calorie counting that is hard for me. I am 5'4" and 150lbs, therefore I try to limit myself to1200 calories,yet there are days that my emotions or sweet tooth overcome all my other will power. I keep trouble foods out of house, but with my daughters bday coming up, I am baking, tasting,and ending the day feeling a sweet tooth sabotage overload. I am not happy with this, and do nt see myself being able to meet my goal of loosing 15 pounds by summer...

LightNFit responded:
It's time to get a new mind set Ms. Can_Do_Attitude. Your screen name alone is encouraging. Yes, you can do it! You and I are about the same height and weight. My goal is to lose 25lbs. I too have a HUGE sweet tooth and with kids it is very tempting to eat foods that work against our mission to lose weight. You may want to find other ways to substitue unhealthy ingredients with more healthy ones which will be good for you and your child yet still taste just as good. Stay motivated and don't let one day take you off your path. One day can set you back and then you will regret it. Is eating cake, cookies, etc. worth gaining more weight?? Think about it! Good luck.

grgram responded:
I agree with the poster above. You can do it. You need to really commit to eating right and counting calories. The best control you have is not taking the first bite. After you start eating, it's too late, you'll no doubt go all the way. That's how we all got overweight! This has helped me through many a rough times: "There's no such thing as one bite, only the FIRST bite".

3point14 responded:
The key (for me) to losing weight is consistency. I'm a little shorter than you, about two inches, and I was a little fatter than you are, I started losing weight when I hit 170. (Yikes!)

If I have a "cheat day", I'm screwed for the week. The calories in the food are bad enough, but the salt retention and (not to be gross) but the waiting time before I poop out all the extra food really gets me down. I can have six really good days in a week, but if I overeat before my weigh-in day, it makes me feel like I'm not making any progress.

I don't do cheat days anymore. I don't even do cheat meals. I do treats like once a week, sometimes less. I've found that I can't have "just tastes" of a lot of the foods I gorge on, so while I'm actively trying to lose weight, I won't eat 'em at all.

I've also found that comparing the calorie content to my goal keeps me motivated...like, I LOVE Ramen noodles. They're total crap, but I could eat them for every meal. There's also 400 calories in them, which is 1/3 of my calories for the day. I think about it like this "Do I want to only have 800 calories left of my day once I eat this, or am I OK with being chubby?". I prefer to eat more food during the day, which means I prefer to stick to lower-cal stuff. And I'm really not cool with being chubby. So that usually keeps me pretty on track.

Good luck, and your goal is really ambitious, but I think you can! Maybe try keeping a food journal of what you eat and how your mood is, so you can better anticipate when you're going to want to eat excessively.

can_do_attitude replied to 3point14's response:
Thank you so much lightNfit, grgram and 3point14. It's really nice to have others that really get it, and your words encouraged me. Today is my daughters' bday. I had a small piece of cake with her in the morning but then I jogged my first 4 mile run with only 1small walking break. After working out, you are so right...sweets are not worth spoiling it for me. I will do better at thinking of that when I have an urge, and then continue to start my day off with a workout. It seems to start the day right for me.

Again I really appreciate your help a lot! Thanks

LightNFit replied to can_do_attitude's response:
I am glad to know that you did not splurge! Since joining this program I have not had any sweets other than that provided by 100% fruits and berries. After eating healthy sweets I have been craving salty foods (chips came to mind). I am a troop leader for girl scouts and I have a lot of cookies in my home but I have not been tempted to eat them because I don't want to decieve myself into thinking...I'll just eat one and before I know I've eaten the whole darn box! We have to continue to motivate each other for support. Happy Birthday to your daughter!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey all weight loss is a bear!!!! I went through a terrible separation and divorce about 3 years ago and after having gained a lot of weight unhappily...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Clubs-All of them!
Dieting Club: 10 - 25 Lbs Exchange Dieting Club: 25 - 50 Lbs Exchange Dieting Club: 50 - 100 Lbs Exchange Dieting Club: 100+ ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.