Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
One step at a time
gotta_have_faith posted:
This is it. This time is different. I know we've all had these feelings before, but when you have a bit of inspiration, you have to run with it, right?

First, I'll give a little background info on myself. I am 22. I weigh in at 192 on most days and am 5'11'', so that puts me at 26 on the BMI scale. In December I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, which has totally altered my way I think about food. I've always been a pretty healthy eater, oatmeal in the morning, lots of fruit and veggies and such, but I also have a sweet tooth that I indulge in a couple times a week. But after years of eating what I thought to be healthy foods (oatmeal, whole grain bread, etc...), I found out they were actually making me gain weight due to my body's response to the gluten. So, I'm trying to reverse the damage that this (along with some other unhealthy habits) has done to me. This is my start. This is my chance. And I am going to take it.

I'm starting off small. Since I am already a fairly healthy eater, I am going to focus on exercising for the first two months of my new life (don't that sound cheesy?). I have been exercising somewhat irregularly for the past two months, but it has given me a starting point. I can run one ten minute mile and feel energized enough to run/walk more. What I want to do is make my running a habit, not a on-again, off-again relationship that it has been for the past 4 years. It's hard to break a 4 year habit, but like I said, when you have the inspiration, you have to run with it. My goal for the next month is to be able to run 3 miles at the ten minute pace. I want to run a 5k. I want to do this for myself and no one else. This is my chance to get the body and life I want, and I'm going to take it.

Long term goal: Lose 25 lbs-Putting me in the medically "normal" BMI range.
Mid-term goal: Run a 5k in 40 days (and live to tell the tale)
Short-term goal: Run the 2.14 mile trail tomorrow morning, Friday morning, and Sunday morning. Also, avoiding exorbitant amounts of sweets and caffeine is on this list as well, just so I can be held? accountable.

I will report back on Sunday, or perhaps sooner, to relay my progress and promises kept.

Tomato05 responded:
Sounds good; you will enjoy your running more and more, I'm sure.

I have made running an important part of my life and run 3 times a week (on another 3 days I do walking uphill and strength training). I have had a few injuries that have held me back along the way though. I run a minimum of 10km every time.

Running is wonderful and helps me to cope with the rest of my day! However, it has not helped me to lose weight. For weight loss I still have to really cut my calorie intake.

Good luck and enjoy your program!

gotta_have_faith replied to Tomato05's response:
Thanks Tomato!

I have had a good past two days with regard to exercising. Put in a nice 30 minute up hill walk on Wednesday and got to spend sometime with my man running on Thursday morning. Ran 1.7 miles (1.2 miles nonstop at 10 min pace) on a great trail with a great view and walked the other 1.3 miles. I felt like I was going to puke after the running, but since I've been running intermittently over the past 2 months, I'm not even sore today!

I have also been recording what I eat the past 3 days so I can see where I should cut calories.

Weds
Breakfast: 4 egg whites one egg yoke cooked with <1 tsp olive oil & 16 oz skim milk
Lunch: 1.5 cups brown rice with fresh, raw veggies and tuna with 1 oz feta cheese and balsamic vinegar
Dinner: Salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Snack: My homemade hot chocolate (1 TBS honey 1/2 TBS cocoa powder) 8 oz hot milk

Weds:
Breakfast: 4 egg whites one egg yoke cooked with <1 tsp olive oil & 16 oz skim milk
Lunch: 1.5 cups brown rice with fresh, raw veggies and tuna with 1 oz feta cheese and balsamic vinegar
Dinner: Rotisserie chicken roasted sweet potato brussel sprouts
Snack: About 5 chips of Martins brand. Usually can't stop at just a handful, but today I did!

Thurs:
Lunch: 1 cup brown rice with homemade butternut squash soup (Only veggies, veggie broth, and some greek yogurt innit)
Snack: 1 cup rice with honey and cinnamon and splash of milk
Dinner: Rotisserie chicken roasted sweet potato brussel sprouts
Snack: 12 oz hot chocolate from coffee shop & 4 rice crackers goat cheese ham

The eggs and brown rice really keep me full between meals, so I don't really even want a snack mid day often. The cooked veggies were made by my college dining place and they had to much oil and were well done, but they are my Favorite, so I got them anyways. The coffee shop hot chocolate was to sugary. I like my homemade one better and it is way better for me!

My weigh in is next Weds. Trying not to do it everyday and just focus on making good choices!

Tomato05 replied to gotta_have_faith's response:
It sounds as if your exercise is going very well - keep it up!

Your diet looks good too. It's good to see you are eating lots of vegetables. Maybe include some fruit as well?

You should see a weight loss your next weigh-in; good luck. If you find you need to cut more calories, maybe reducing your portion of rice would be the best, eg from 1.5 cup to 3/4 cup, or reduce the morning 16oz milk to 8 oz and include a small piece of fruit rather.

gotta_have_faith replied to Tomato05's response:
Weekends are usually more difficult to stay on track, but this one has gone well so far. I've measured out my running path and figured that I run a total of 1.93 miles (1.2 miles then .73 miles) and I walk 1.67 miles. I skipped Friday because I couldn't find the time during the day, but got right back out there on Saturday and today. It feels good! Still not all that sore, although it feels like my legs were still tired from my run yesterday.

As for food, I did well for the most part. I had a green milkshake on Saturday night for St. Patricks day, which was a lot of sugar. But I didn't go HAM and drink tons (or any) of alcohol and rack up empty calories that way as well, so I didn't beat myself up over the shake. I did feel sick afterwards and the morning after, but that could have been because of the sugar or an accidental gluten ingestion.

Friday:
Breakfast-Dining hall- Scramble eggs, 2 thins slices of bacon, potatoes, and half a banana and some mandarin oranges and pineapple & 16 oz skim milk
Lunch- 1.5 cups brown rice, tuna, some fresh veggies and balsamic vinegar
Dinner- A salad with balsamic vinaigrette and fresh melon and grapes on the side
Snack- brown rice, honey, cinnamon, milk

Saturday:
Breakfast- got up late and ran, so didn't really eat till lunch
Lunch- 2 whole eggs cooked in olive oil, and 1 cup corn pasta
Dinner- Salad with balsamic vinaigrette and fresh melon and grapes
Snack- A mint chocolate chip milkshake
**Milkshake made me nauseous. It was about 16 oz. and I should have only had half of it and I may not have got so nauseous.

Sunday:
Breakfast- same as Saturday. got up late, so no breakfast
Lunch- Mung bean noodles and 2 whole eggs cooked in olive oil with a little bit (1/4 cup) of the soup I made Thurs.
Dinner---Will probably get salad and melon

I am excited about weigh-in on Weds!

gotta_have_faith replied to gotta_have_faith's response:
Week one was a success. Started at 193.4 lbs on Weds 3/14 and today, 3/21, I was 190.6. So, 2.8 lbs in one week. I will take it. I've heard that's a healthy amount to loose on a weekly basis. Next week will be harder though. I have to keep this motivation up. Keep eating right, keep running, keep having the can do attitude about loosing weight and building up my mileage. I'm not going to keep up the food journal, because, honestly, it looks to much like the previous posts.

Things I can improve upon food wise that I've done "wrong" in the past week:
-stay away from coffee shop hot chocolate, my homemade hc (1 tbs pure cocoa powder 1 tbs pure honey) is much better/better for me
-egg whites in the morning stave off hunger throughout the morning. 1 egg 3 egg whites with no salt and some italian seasoning does the trick.
-switch up the grain. I had a lot of rice last week. I need to cook a batch of millet or quinoa for this weeks grain.
-can't do salads twice a day, every day. it gets old. some cooked veggies or purred soup with grain would be good
-Also, I need more meat. I haven't had anything but tuna or chicken and tuna for a while, and I don't like it.
-pop corn is a good snack at night (1/4 cup kernels 1tbs olive oil)
-lastly, that milkshake on Saturday made me not feel deprived. it was like I cheated and it kept me on track for the rest of the week.

Plan for next week (Thurs-Weds)
-Run same trail: Thurs, Friday, Saturday, Weds
-Will be traveling Sat-Mon: Hopefully the hotel will have a gym and I can get in at least one days work out, maybe two
-Keep up the monitored eating. Be aware and restrict sugar intake. If I don't eat it, I don't want it.
-Weigh in goal: Be in the 180s! (Hopefully, 188ish)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am going to be 50, I am a Grandmother of 5 and a Mother of 3, I want to lose 40lbs , but I need to make small goals, so I decided start with 25lbs,I...More

Helpful Tips

Buddy System
Over the past 2 yrs. I have lost 37 lbs. I had a buddy, my first cousin. We'd both been blessed with the same genes! Had it not been for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.