Skip to content
Any Ideas?
Mishy1980 posted:
Hello. In college I was underweight 5'6" and 115. After I started birth control pills and then got married -I gained a few pounds. Then some more. Finally last year I was at 165 my largest. I started walking, running and tracking calories. I lost 15 and was down to 150 pounds. That is where I stopped. Then this winter I naturally started to gain a few back. But as soon as the weather got better-I got back on running, diet.

So for 8 weeks now, I am running/walking 12 miles a week, 1400-1800 calories a day. I have gained a pound every week the last 6 weeks. I also have a physically demanding job that I walk a lot at and on my feet that I don't count into the 12 miles but I wore a pedometer for a while and averaged 2-6 miles a day there. I am at a loss of to why I am gaining. I am also experiencing bloating and constipation so I am making a dr.s appt soon. I do have Ovarian cancer in my family so I am a little worried.

Any thoughts?

Tomato05 responded:
The fact that you are bloated and constipated may mean that the weight gain is not really fat, but "digestive issues" - undigested food, water retention, etc. can weigh quite a bit.

Are you getting enough fiber, and do you drink enough water?

It's good that you are seeing the doctor - always better to check.

Is there any chance that you could be overestimating your calorie intake? Also, maybe try to stick to the lower end of the calorie range you chose, say not more than 1300 or 1400 and see if it makes a difference.

Enjoy the running and walking nevertheless. Your body will thank you for the exercise!

Mishy1980 replied to Tomato05's response:
Thank you for the response. I have been taking fiber supplements for 8 weeks as well. I ran out on Friday and haven't had a bowel movement since (4th day now)

I drink about 50 ounces of water a day.

I have a dr app coming up soon...I'm guessing digestive issues may be the culprit

lorikorell replied to Mishy1980's response:
You should drink half your weight in ounces of water without sweetners so that you are well hydrated. It helped my constipation issues.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm a 49 yr. old female trying to lose 10 to 15 pounds. I'm 5ft. and weigh 130 and was just diagnosed as being pre diabetic. Hoping losi...More

Helpful Tips

Fast Weight Loss Now
I will be brief since everyone has covered everything you need know nicely. My only tip; if you want to lose ____lbs.(boyfriends weight) ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.