Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Motivated
3point14 posted:
I'm just starting a new thread because the old one was getting really long. I feel a new sense of purpose about food and about weight management...FIYE, No, I did not take off the 30 or so lbs we talked about a few months ago hahaha but our competition has helped me to keep my focus. I'm right now planning on a summer goal of losing another 15 lbs, which from my weight right now would put me at 123.

Though, being realistic, it took me four months to lose only about 8 lbs. So we shall see. But I really feel like I have a good plan set up for the next while, and instead of being unmotivated by my progress and getting complacent, I'm going to let my positive progress propel me further. Hopefully.

I'll be updating this a lot. I tend to do better when I have accountability.

Breakfast Mango baby food and half a leftover chicken breast
Snack A serving of some trail mix: nuts, raisins and chocolate, I think I'll probably have another thing of baby food, too.
Lunch The rest of my leftover chicken breast. It was moscato peach grilled chicken from Olive Garden OMG so delicious. It came with a dangerous pasta with bacon and cheddar sauce with tomato and spinach. I'm back to splitting my dinners, though, so I'm not worried about the horrendousness of the sauce
Dinner Brown rice, peas, carrots and beans all tossed together with garlic and lemon juice. Then some sort of meat, maybe cube steak? I haven't given a lot of thought to dinner.

What does any/everyone think about doing a DIY "cleanse" for a few days? I'm debating doing a jump start diet of egg whites, nuts, and unlimited fruits and veggies for like three days. Just to get over my recent bad eating habits. Is this a crappy idea? I'm not doing it for weight loss per se, only to get my palate back to craving the healthy stuff...

Good luck to everyone, and I appreciate in advance any encouragement or tips I get!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Tomato05 responded:
I am glad about the new thread! Sometimes one has to start a fresh one *(as a next episode), or the old one start feeling like an old hair with split ends which needs a haircut...

Yes, stay on course, keep striving for improvement. That is my aim too - just trying to improve at the moment, nothing too drastic. Just trying to get more sleep too. The little sleep I am getting is the source of a lot of my overeating, I am convinced.

Regarding the cleanse - maybe it will work for you; I suppose you will find out once you start it. For myself, I won't consider it, as I am a little "feeble" in my will power at the moment. I can't do anything that will be a shock to my body at this stage, just gradual changes while keeping my body happy and purring along. Any big sudden change may just cause me to swing wildly in the wrong direction!

jamielynn111 responded:
Hi 3point14,

This is my first time posting on the message boards but I have read some your previous posts. It sounds like you have done a great job making healthy changes in your life and losing weight so far.

I have been working on the same goals for over a year now, but lately I have been slacking off. I haven't lost weight in months and recently gained a few pounds back. I'm going to get back on track now as well!

Good luck!

3point14 replied to jamielynn111's response:
Yeah, Tomato, exactly. I started feeling like I couldn't identify with the me who wrote the original few posts, and I really want to keep fresh with my goals and motivations.

What's preventing you from sleep, hun? That's never any good for anything, especially weight loss. And what's got your will power sinking? I think for me I got too stuck in the habits of thinking too hard about everything I ate that it was really contributing to my anxiety. It stopped being fun to go to the gym and started being something that I felt bad about not doing if I didn't feel like it. I'm working on getting back to embracing the change, though.

I've been thinking a lot about the "cleanse" and have decided against it. I think I'll work on getting more stuff working right more of the time than being really "good" for a few days and then struggling. It's all about balance, all about balance all about balance (that's been my mantra lately).

Welcome to the thread, Jamielynn! I go through phases where my weight loss is really consistent, and then I slack off. But I've been proud that my slip-ups, while slightly more frequent, are also less bad, if that makes sense. I don't gorge myself all day now, sometimes I'll just eat a slightly less thoughtful meal. Done are the days of Dorito bag after bag! Welcome back to new motivation, too! Feel free to be a frequent poster, it really does help a lot.

Breakfast 2/3 of a red pepper, a "to-go" thing of Nutella
Snack a can of baby food, maybe some cottage cheese with pineapple
Lunch Some terrible pre-made lunch with beef, veggies and rice. No, I'm not crazy about it, but I have to go grocery shopping.
Dinner Cube steak, corn and brocolli.
SW: 170 CW:138 GOAL: 120

Oh, you know me, I love the universe, I love all the listeners:
watch it!
here's fifty thousand watts of goodwill!
~~The Pixies

ploy40 responded:
Very nice to see how determined you are on this road. It's not easy, but you're doing it. Kudos to you!

Foreverinyoureyes2 responded:
Hi Pi!

Thanks for starting a new thread. I was getting intimidated by the other one.

I feel like I am in a really good place right now. My scale is still broken, so I have not weighed in over a week, but it is strangely liberating to me. We have a nurses station here at work with a doctors scale that I could weigh on if I needed a fix, and I do plan to buy a scale this weekend, but for now this is ok.

I finally made it to the grocery store last weekend and spent well over $300 b/c I had not been in weeks and we were out of EVERYTHING! I made a committment to myself to prepare super healthy dinner meals, and to take really healthy lunches to work with me, and having the supplies to do this has made it painless!

I purchased a rice steamer last week and I am really enjoying it! It has a setting for brown rice specifically, which is what I use, and it has a timer feature on it. I also have used it to prepare my steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. It is also a meat/veggie steamer. I have not used it for that yet though.

Last week we had a health fair here at work. They had a station where you stood on this machine and it read your height, weight, bmi and % of body fat. All of mine were in the normal range! I was so pleased.

My exercise has been sorely lacking, and I need to get that piece back in place, because I leave for Costa Rica in less than a month! AAHH!!

Breakfast: Steel cut oatmeal sweetened w/ honey and peanut butter and a sprinkle of dark chocolate chips.

Lunch: whole grain tortilla filled with hummus, lettuce, tomato, cukes, yellow peppers and radishes, and mixed berries.

Snack: greek yogurt with some granola mixed in.

Dinner: pulled chicken sandwiches and steamed asparagus for us, the kids will probably have chips and salsa with their sandwiches.

All in all, I feel great. I feel like my habits are actually habits. I don't stress eat. I don't mindless snack and munch. I eat really good, high quality food most of the time without even thinking about it, and I don't sweat it when I decide to have something that isn't "diet" friendly. I am not obsessing. I am just living. Hurray!

3point14 replied to ploy40's response:
Thanks for the encouragement, ploy!

FIYE, I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. The steamer sounds really good, but I can't imagine how steamed meat might be. Let me know!

Preparedness is the big difference for me too, I've been kinda slacking a little. It's just really hard when M works 7 days a week to do the basic little things to make day-to-day life easy because when he's not around I'm more motivated to go out and have fun, and when he is around I'm more motivated to spend time with him. I'll just have to get better about it, though, period.

I'm going to start weighing myself on Mondays, right after the weekend. It'll keep the pressure on.

Today my plan is to hit the gym once I get outta work. Then just stop eating after 8. Dinner needs to start being the end of my food-day, again. Honestly, the last two days I've been hopelessly off-track, just worried about life-stuff and not keeping my head in the game. It's upsetting. But I can do this. I really want to do this.

Breakfast Hot dog and bun
Snack Mango baby food, two squares of dark chocolate
Lunch Apricots, brocolli and cheese
Dinner 2 veggie egg rolls, which I am completely addicted to.

watch it!
~~The Pixies

3point14 responded:
I just rejected some free potato chips at work! Feeling stronger, able to resist the bad today. Praying that motivation can last til after my work out, too.

*fingers crossed*

watch it!
~~The Pixies

3point14 responded:
Had an icredible workout last night!! Did a full forty minutes of cardio and a bunch of weights stuff. Fun! Also got complimented by a random weight lifter on my posture, which was a nice ego boost.

I won't be hitting the gym tonight, but I will be taking a romantic evening stroll with M. I'm not overly worried about it, though, I'll be sure to use my elliptical this evening at home and before work tomorrow. Getting back into a solid routine always amazes me with how much more energy I have!

Breakfast Veggie egg roll
Snack Square of dark chocolate, banana baby food, some cottage cheese and pineapple
Lunch Some crazy salad with pecan, blueberries, strawberries and chicken.
Dinner I'm kind of thinking some baked chicken and veggies, but I may wind up doing something else.
And a margarita for dessert!

watch it!
~~The Pixies

Tomato05 replied to 3point14's response:
Sounds good - lots of variety in activity for you.

I had a good run myself today. Plus did some housecleaning. Tomorrow I may go for a walk and do strength training.

Still not sleeping enough though! I just go to bed too late, like a rebellious teenager. I resist going to bed - read, watch TV, drink tea,work on the computer, etc and before I realise it is 1am. I will now start setting my alarm clock for a reasonable hour in the evening (like 11pm) so I can get to bed earlier.

3point14 replied to Tomato05's response:
Oooh, Tomato, I admire your dedication. I'm like the crappiest runner ever. I can elliptical 'til the ends of time, and I can walk for ages, too. But once my pace of walking starts to speed up, five minutes is the longest I've been able to with any degree of comfort. It feels like spikes in my calves, I hates it!Go you!

Setting an alarm sounds like a really good idea to prompt yourself to get to bed. I'm really into "rituals", maybe start programming yourself with a "going to bed" ritual of like, one glass of tea, one episode of something, a shower and then go to bed and just set it as a pattern? I've found for myself it's helpful if I do my face and teeth regiment, watch an episode of one thing on TV with my fella, and eat a square of dark chocolate. By the time I'm eating my dark chocolate, my mind starts getting really lulled by the pattern of "this is what I do before bed".

I'm really proud of how well I've been doing food and movement wise the last few days. Focusing a lot on lean protein and drinking more sparkling water. I've cut down on my Diet Coke from three cans and a few glasses a day to maybe a glass at night.

Have a BBQ to go to later, kind of nervous that I'll nervous-munch because there'll be a bunch of people there I don't know. But I'll just have to count on my willpower, and I'm going to ask my BF before then to help me monitor myself about it. I'm sure he will.

Breakfast Melons, cottage cheese with pineapple
Snack Two squares of dark chocolate, probably some stuff at the BBQ
Lunch Lite Pot roast soup
Dinner I'm gonna make myself a salad at the BBQ, and hopefully they'll have some chicken there. (I'm sure they will) I guess we'll just have to see how I do...

Fortunately, this BBQ is a graduation party of my BF's least mature and most fun cousin, so there will be a bounce house. I'll be sure to utilize that...for the cardio, of course! ;D hahaha

watch it!
~~The Pixies

Tomato05 replied to 3point14's response:
I hope the barbeque was fun and that you ate some good healthy grilled food and salad/veg.

I went to a work lunch Fri (Lebanese restaurant) and had a great meal: parsley salad (tabouleh), meat skewer, vegetable skewer (which was a bit too oily for my liking), fruit for dessert. And one glass of an excellent New Zealand wine.

I have to run, to keep me sane - it's my greatest stress reliever. I do it only 3 times a week though (I have osteoporosis and tend to get stress fractures), but I make sure those 3 times are worth it. I ran 8 miles Saturday.

My weight is up though, sadly. I've just been eating too much. Still, new week ahead!

3point14 replied to Tomato05's response:
Oooh Tomato, I've had some WICKED good Lebanese stuff in my area! I love their use of spice, though I've found a lot of their stuff is a little on the oily side...it's probably also because I tend to eat a lot of goat when I do Lebanese stuff, and that tends to be greasy in general.

The BBQ was fun. I completely wrecked my diet, but in the ways I knew I would (booze and pasta salad). I consider it a half-win though, because my portions were pretty reasonable and I didn't pig out on the delicious desserts...though trust me, I wanted to!

Because of this weekend, and because my period started last night, I'm going to wait to weigh-in til next week, and I won't check my weight this week. Not about weight, this is all about health. I know my weight's going to be on the high end of my normal and I don't want to get discouraged.

Breakfast Choolate chip bagel, a little bit of Nutella (best breakfast ever for menstrual cramps) ;P
Snack mango baby food, carrots
Lunch Veggie egg roll, chopped peppers and cukes
Dinner Turkey kielbasa, veggies and brown rice

watch it!
~~The Pixies

3point14 responded:
Feelin' good today. Had a really good workout that was preceeded by a hike yesterday. Besides the two ticks I found on me afterwards, it fun!

Today I'm doing a lot of research on how to break plateaus. I definitely think my body has gotten used to like a half hour of elliptical and a half hour of resistance stuff. I've already starting adding more weight to that, and now to increase my reps! I'm also going to start interval jogging in the mornings before work and doing 20 minutes on the elliptical and either 20 minutes on the bikes or 20 minutes on the stairs at the gym. I figure the additional time will be good, as hopefully the variance will be as well!

I'm also working on setting a solid gym schedule. Schedules and lists and writing are what really make this all come together for me...obviously. hahaha

Breakfast Cottage cheese with peach, a banana
Snack String cheese (pepperjack!) and mango baby food
Lunch Veggie egg roll, either apricots or some veggies
Dinner Tomato noodles, corn and ground beef.

And I'm going to try to start drinking 74 ounces of water today, see if that makes a difference.

watch it!
~~The Pixies

3point14 responded:
I had some awesome female friends over last night and it wound up being a huge win for health! Not only did I NOT gorge on snacks, NOT order food out and NOT drink too much, I also made plans with two of my better friends to go jogging before work during the week! I'm really really excited, as I know I've mentioned before accountability is a big thing for me. I'm sure it'll be a little hellish at first, but I'm pumped.

Breakfast French Toast bagel
Snack Blueberries, square of dark chocolate and cottage cheese with pineapple
Lunch Celery, oatmeal
Dinner Stuffed chicken breast, some rice

Today I am super excited for the gym. I got all my CDs back from my parents from like six years ago and a new CD player so I can't wait to work out to all my old favorite songs!

watch it!
~~The Pixies

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 43 year old divorced mom of 2. I've always been "lucky" enough not to have to diet or exercise to maintain a healthy, trim fig...More

Helpful Tips

Weight loss coffee
I just started using a new gourmet instant coffee that helps reduce appetite, eliminate cravings, reduce portion sizes, decrease stored ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.