Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Update after my Costa Rica Trip
Foreverinyoureyes2 posted:
Hi Friends!

Just wanted to touch base after my Costa Rica trip.

I am going to post the link to the spa/resort we stayed at so that you can get an idea of the theme of the trip:

http://www.panaceacr.com/

Costa Rica in general was paradise. It is gorgeous, and my trip was the perfect combination of adventure and relaxation. I zip lined, surfed for the first time, and hiked up the side of a mountain. But there was plenty of time to lie on a raft in the infinity pool and to lie in a deck chair in the shade and read a book.

But what I wanted to report here, is that although I just got back on Tuesday evening, I feel as though my time at this resort, absorbing their lifestyle philosophies has changed my life, forever, for the good.

Part of our package was daily Yoga. I have done yoga in the past, but this was life altering, meditative, restorative yoga. In 5 short days it not only made me feel physically flexible and strong. It gave me an emotional and mental balance that i have never experienced before.

The trip included food, and the the chef was outstanding. Everything was vegetarian based and of course local, farm fresh ingredients were used. They were fairly simple meals, but so delicious that I was inspired to consider a vegetarian lifestyle. Ultimately, after much thought I decided that I still want some animal protein and fish in my diet, so I am going to take an "all things in moderation" approach.

After eating so clean and healthy for all of the days of my trip, I did not want to come home and "blow it", so my first errand upon my return was to go to the market and make sure that I have the ingredients to make sure that my diet is rich in fruits, veggies primarily, and dairy, lean protein and grains in moderation.

I feel fantastic. My skin and hair are healthier, and I am practicing mindful eating and focusing on food to nourish my body. It feels amazing.

Today's DFJ:

Steel cut oats sweetened with some honey and topped with fresh, organic almond butter

coffee with cream and sugar

whole wheat tortilla filled with black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, radishes, onions, herbs, avocado, and some fresh pico de gallo and pineapple and berries topped with greek yogurt and granola *

*almost all of the veggies in my wrap were grown in my own garden so are fresh and organic, as we use no pesticides.

coffee with cream and sugar

grilled chicken breast over a green salad and corn on the cob

Pi, you might notice that I no longer use Equal in my coffee. I have decided to eliminate all articificial ingredients in food and drink. I am going to choose to use more natural products.

Finally, I have not lost any weight, as a matter of fact I finally quit smoking for good a month ago and gained about 3 pounds, weighing in at 143.4 today, but I don't care. I am madly in love with my body. I don't care if it is a bit flabby or has cellulite or my chest is too small or my thighs are too big. At this particular moment in time, I love my body because of all it has done for me, and to prove that affection, I am going to commit to feed my body nourishing food, and move a little bit everyday.

I hope to find a yoga studio that reflects that philosphy of the yoga instructor in Costa Rica. I want the meditative, reflective piece along with the moving my body piece.

I hope you are all well. Pi, I miss you. I am sorry I have been MIA. Life was hectic trying to get ready for the trip. But I am back now, and plan to be better about keeping in touch here.

3point14 responded:
Happy tears came to my eyes reading this. What a freakin' beautiful place!!! Congratulations on the eye-opener. Congrats on finding the deeper peace in yoga, and HUGE congrats on quitting smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's such an excellent gift to yourself and your family. I watched my Granddad die of COPD brought on by years of smoking, and honestly I wouldn't wish anything like that on my worst enemy. Those are the best 3 pounds you will ever gain. And really, smoking cessation and only a 3 lb. gain? You're incredible hahaha my friend quit last year and is just now reigning in the 15 lbs she gained.

I'm envious of your garden . I love the concept of being able to eat what I grow. It really is the easiest way to guarentee eating completely pesticide-free fruits and veggies. I love that you're moving to all-natural. I just got ugh, 4 teeth pulled and braces put on...besides being completely sexy (please, read with as much sarcasm as possible) it's forcing me to re-evaluate my what-I-considered-healthy diet. I'm doing a ton of my own smoothies (which are DELICIOUS) and have yet to have a bit of "cheat" food in a week now. It does feel better!

How was the zip-lining? And the surfing?! hehehe think they'll also become part of your workout regiment? I'm so glad you're accepting of your body. Your body, as is, took you on this great adventure. Your body, as is, absorbed all the wonderful lessons about yoga, mindfulness, and healthy eating. Your body is exactly what you put into it, and what you're putting into it is, besides healthy food and exercise, a wonderful mindset that will make any setbacks you have so much more bearable.

What made this yoga different from the traditional? I too hope you're able to find somewhere locally that can enhance the emotional/physical balance. It really is key.

I'm glad your trip was awesome.

I was supposed to go to DC this fall with M, but uhm...he told me the other night that he'd rather take care of "more pressing matters" first...and that we could go to DC for our honeymoon...hahaha He didn't propose, but just "supposed", just asked how I felt about the whole "next level" stuff...

hehehe so I too, am feeling pretty wonderful.

Breakfast Scrambled egg whites, zukes and red pepper
Snack Oatmeal w/ raspberries
Lunch One of my homemade smoothies! This one was made of almond milk, spinach, squash, celery, grapes and flaxseed with a tiiiny bit of yogurt for texture
Dinner Eggplant, brown rice and some pork
SW: 170 CW:138 GOAL: 120

Oh, you know me, I love the universe, I love all the listeners:
watch it!
here's fifty thousand watts of goodwill!
~~The Pixies

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been on a diet my whole life. And I'm sick of it. I want to find a balance of health and happiness through nutrition and exercise. htt...More

Helpful Tips

Buddy System
Over the past 2 yrs. I have lost 37 lbs. I had a buddy, my first cousin. We'd both been blessed with the same genes! Had it not been for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.