Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Worst shape of my life!
sharon0528 posted:
Hi everyone,

I need help. I'm about 40 lbs overweight. I just turned 50. Most of the weight is belly fat. I am disgusted. I have tried eating healthy and exercising...but it lasts for about a week and I give up. How do I stay motivated? Where do I get willpower and keep it?

Thanks so much!

3point14 responded:
The main thing that's helped me is to enjoy the changes I'm making. I don't eat "healthy" food that I don't like the taste of, and I don't do exercise that I don't find fun.

Find healthier alternatives to what you're eating, and slowly introduce newer foods into your diet. Start drinking more tea, more water. Take an exercise class that costs money, so you'll be less tempted to skip it. Make a good playlist on an iPod, and turn it up loud when you work out!

Be patient with yourself, don't expect immediate results. You can do it!
SW: 170 CW:134 GOAL: 120

Oh, you know me, I love the universe, I love all the listeners:
watch it!
here's fifty thousand watts of goodwill!
~~The Pixies

sharon0528 replied to 3point14's response:
Thanks so much! I get so frustrated. I know what I have to do, but find it so difficult to stay on track. Eating healthy is definitely a good way to start, but exercising is a real problem. I love to dance so I was thinking of maybe Zumba....it looks like fun.

awayigo responded:
Motivation comes from being persistent. If you have a smart phone, get the free app My Fitness Pal. You setup your profile and you tell it your goal weight, and it will ask you how many pounds a week you want to loose. Just enter 1 pound for starters. The app is very user friendly, you can actually scan the bar code of the items you eat to log your daily intake, or type it in. You enter your weight daily (I do mine first thing in the morning). I told myself that if I can make it one week of doing "eat right" better than I have, I should see some type of results. My daily goal at the start was 1600 calories and now after 9 weeks, I am down to 1530/day. I have lost 24 pounds in 9 weeks. The app can log your exercise and water intake as well. I try to walk 30 minutes 3-4 times a week on a treadmill.

I bought a scale ($30) that you can build your profile on, set your goal weight, it gives you're your Body Fat #'s as well. Seeing the numbers change, not necessarily the weight, but the Body Fat is motivational. It shows although your trying to eat right, you can see results in your numbers, after the first week, I was so excited, I lost 1.5 pounds and my body fat dropped from 31.2 to 30.1 I knew if I could keep it up, I could do it.

I focused my diet on higher protein foods (2 boiled eggs or 6 slices of deli ham) for snacks. If you like tuna fish, lots a protein to last a long time in the day. Drink lots of water. I bought the Mio additive to my water, makes it easier to drink more. (Lemon or Fruit punch flavors are my favorite).

If I can do it, anyone can do it. I am male, but seeing numbers change is where I have been motivated the most. Wish you the will power, because I know if you can do it for two weeks, you will see results.

Tomato05 replied to awayigo's response:
Very inspirational, awayigo! Very good advice too.

Congratulations on your excellent progress. I am so bad, that I am aiming for only one day at a time, not even a whole week!

sharon0528 replied to awayigo's response:
Hi and thanks so much for your ideas. I don't have a smartphone, but maybe it will work on my iPad. I needed some ideas for healthy snacks I liked the idea of ham or tuna...also where can I find the mio additive, because I definitely get sick of water.

brunosbud responded:
When you say you lack "motivation", it tells me one thing...You believe you need to eat less and exercise more. You have tried eating less and exercising more, many times in your life...possibly, your entire life...yet, you still think that's the answer.

You don't need "motivation"; you need to change what you believe. Seeing results creates excitement. Getting excited creates motivation. Becoming motivated generates energy and builds momentum.

You ask for tips on how to stay motivated? Sorry, you can't skip "steps"...

The truth is to lose weight, you must eat less and exercise more. The problem for you is what you eat and what you drink. Eating less of food and beverages that lack proper nutrition (or in a form or presentation that provides inadequate nutrition) does not provide sustainable results. They do not improve your health and, in turn, make you less hungry. On the contrary, they actually make you more hungry.

That's it. That's the "change". That's the problem that everyone has, here. Deep down, they know that soda, cookies and 99 cent tacos are bad...

You may try to eat less, but you won't stop.

And, that's the truth...

PS: Please, stay away from deli and sandwich meats. You ask any cancer dietician. That's the first question they ask...

RhondaGraymond responded:
At your age, being overweight could lead to knee and join problems, hypertension and even diabetes. It's important to lead a healthy lifestyle. You might not be able to stick to it because maybe the diet you follow is too restricting. In either case, an ideal weight loss diet is one which is balanced and healthy and sustainable in the long run. Respect your body. Treat it right by eating the right food and exercising.

Matthew4690 responded:
I thank you sharon and everyone who has already replied. Some great advice.

I, too, find myself in the worst shape in my life having gained 20 pounds just within the last year! I was in a very stressful job and took the first step of changing jobs. Now I need to work on better diet and exercise habits. My goal is 25-30 pounds by the end of February 2013.

Best of luck to you sharon.

sharon0528 replied to Matthew4690's response:
I know how difficult it is. I have been thin all of my life (except during my 3 pregnancies). I have reached a point in my life where I need to really focus every day. But I have made some small changes, and I believe it has helped. I am adding running to my walking. I am eating healthier...I don't see much difference in the scale..but I feel different. Good luck Matthew and thanks everyone for your advice.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im pregnant with my second baby and due in a little less than 3 weeks. I cant wait to get this baby wait off! I hope the baby weight will come off eas...More

Helpful Tips

Fast Weight Loss Now
I will be brief since everyone has covered everything you need know nicely. My only tip; if you want to lose ____lbs.(boyfriends weight) ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.