Skip to content
Between Lives--Trying to be my best before real life starts.
mickeysevenn posted:
Hey everybody! I'm so excited to join this community! I recently graduated college and I'm living at home with my parents before I go to law school in the fall.

My story: Somehow, between my senior year of high school and now, at age 24, I went from 120 lbs to my current 145. Okay, I know EXACTLY how it happened--stress, lack of knowledge regarding proper nutrition, a major life change, and lots of time on my hands. At any rate, I'm finally in a place where I'm ready to lose this weight and get back to my feel-good weight. I want to look and feel my best before my life starts as a law student.

My challenges: As I mentioned, I'm currently living at home with my parents, and I am finding it very, very difficult to maintain calorie goals/a healthy diet as long as I'm here. My mom often cooks high-calorie foods for my brothers and dad, and I have a hard time resisting. Exercise is also difficult. We do have a treadmill in the basement, but the challenge is working around my little brother's schedule (he practically lives down there, and as long as he's down there, I'm not to disturb him by running on the treadmill). Though challenging, the food and fitness obstacles are just that--obstacles. I know I can overcome them. It is ultimately my CHOICE. However, I think a little support would help me stay motivated. That's why I joined this community.

If anyone has any advice or insight or just wants to say hello and share their story, please do! I'd love to connect with others out there hoping to get in shape!

MercedesBenz802 responded:
See is your Mom, Dad or Brother want to start walking together or see if a friend wants to walk. It makes it more fun and you have a person to support you and keep you on the right track

brunosbud replied to MercedesBenz802's response:
MBZ802, that's a good suggestion about walking with friends and family. It makes walking a lot more fun. Unfortunately, from my years of experience, walking with people, rarely lasts. So, I walk with a dog(s), instead. Dogs never tire of walking.

I once had a dog that, despite losing the use of both hind legs, still, begged me to workout every AM. He would cry in agony (& wake up the neighbors) if I went out the door without him. I tried pushing him in carriage but, eventually, broke down and got him a doggy wheelchair. After 14 incredible years, together, he finally gassed two years ago...I cried for a week, myself! I have new dogs, now, and they go crazy for our twice daily walks.

If you really want a walking buddy that will give you "support", get yourself a dog (that can last at least 2 - 3 miles). I promise, if you walk your dog, everyday, you'll receive so much "support", you'll be sorry you ever asked! Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was born. I grew up. I had an eating disorder because of my anxiety. I was almost 200 pounds. Lost a whole bunch of weight. Now I'm 114 pounds, ...More

Helpful Tips

Buddy System
Over the past 2 yrs. I have lost 37 lbs. I had a buddy, my first cousin. We'd both been blessed with the same genes! Had it not been for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.