Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do you drink diet soda?
An_252903 posted:
So I am definitely a Diet Coke addict. I have heard even diet sodas can keep weight on you, and that they can also make you crave sweets. Have any of you experienced weight loss from quitting diet drinks? Do you think it makes a difference?
Thanks for your advice!

brunosbud responded:
First, there was Cyclamates. But, after 10 years, they found it caused cancer in lab rats. Then, came good ol' Saccharin. But, the poor lab rats didn't care for that stuff much, either. Now, Aspartame, Sucralose, and Acesulfame Potassium (aka "Ace K") is what's for dinner. Not only did diet soda not accomplish what it was originally designed to do (obesity and diabetes) but, now, we're the lab rats.

With these recent reports on diet soda and "socially responsible" (lol) Taco Bell eliminating "Kids Meals" from their menu, at what point will people say..."I think maybe someone's trying to pull a fast one..."

Do I think diet soda is bad?

No. As Coke & Pepsi, I'm sure, will someday say,
"Diet Soda doesn't kill people; People kill people."

butterflys97 responded:
Hi An_252903 I was hoping to get an answer about this because I too am a diet coke addict. I use to hate it but once I got the taste to it, I can not live without it. And it has to be Diet Coke no store brands not Pepsi. I also now hate the taste of regular Coca Cola. I wish I can eliminate it all together. Diet or not all dark sodas in particular are bad for your kidneys and give you stones when consumed in excessive amounts. But then again what isn't bad for you these days from the hormones injected in our poultry and meats, to the pesticides use to grow our crop, even hot dogs cause cancer. With that being said (lol) does diet quitting diet coke make a difference when trying to lose weight? That is the question.

vivianmichaels responded:
First of all good question!!

The first is that diet soda alone does not cause weight gain, but it has more to do with the unhealthy habits of diet soda drinkers—the sum of which leads to weight gain. That could be the case.

The second school of thought is that the artificial sweeteners in diet soda mess with your body's chemical processing, causing you to eat more and consequently gain weight.

kattys responded:
Yes, it definitely makes a difference. As soda is high on sugar and it is a carbonated drink, which can make you fat. Depending on how much you drink you may loose more or less.
Replacing soda with water , though it may be hard in the beginning can help you balance out your weight.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Losing weight, exercising, and healthy eating are all things I have tried for the longest incorporated in my everyday life. I would work out and eat r...More

Helpful Tips

Buddy System
Over the past 2 yrs. I have lost 37 lbs. I had a buddy, my first cousin. We'd both been blessed with the same genes! Had it not been for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.