Skip to content
Newbie Checking in
monalizzie posted:
Not new to WebMD, but new to community. Diagnosed with Hashimoto's early this year and have gained 10 pounds since this time last year. Trying hard to eat only calorie allotment and walk for an hour everyday without fail. Nothing is happening. Haven't lost weight -- at first lost some when thyroid medication began, dose was decreased and gained most of the weight back. Thyroid meds not at ideal dose yet, and trying not to get discouraged, but am discouraged nonetheless. Without a doubt this body could survive a very long famine. Helpful hints to rev up metabolism would be appreciated.

rkangell responded:
All exercise burns calories, but in order to rev up metabolism exercise intensity has to be at a level where you cannot talk. That level is not only uncomfortably intense, but also dangerous if you're large and out of shape like I was. What worked for me was taking aqua exercise classes. (You don't need to be able to swim). I could go all out in the 30 second thrashers and not hurt myself. And a real community feeling from the rest of the folks. Good luck and keep at it. If you keep at it you will not fail.

monalizzie replied to rkangell's response:
I complained to my grown son about my dieting and exercise and not losing, and he told me to watch my measurements rather than the scales. In his opinion, he thought my clothes were fitting more loosely. I was happy to discover I am losing inches in my waist and hips, so I guess my efforts are doing something. My BMI is still slightly overweight, but all of my measurements are in the normal range. I'm obviously exchanging fat for muscle.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mother of 4 teenage girls, one heading off to college :) three still home. Love life and living the dream, but need to get happy/back in shape.

Helpful Tips

Easy Weight Loss Tip
Make half of every plate fruits or vegetables. Eat them first, drink a large glass of water and wait a few minutes. Then eat the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 59 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.