Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trouble with the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
connieakacici posted:
This is my first week with the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and am finding it ridiculously difficult to reach the daily food goals. I'm trying to lose 15 pounds at 2 pounds per week, meaning a recommended net calorie intake of 1050 (1200 consumed minus 150 burned from exercise).

I've been meeting the daily calorie requirements, but even with healthy snacks (strawberries, watermelon, almonds, grapes) and healthy meals (chicken salad with light dressing), I always exceed my food goals in sugar, fats, and protein levels. These are the healthiest food options I can think of, yet I'm still constantly over my limit...

Does anyone have any ideas/tips/advice for how I may stay within my daily recommended limits? My sugar intake is so high from the natural sugars of the fruits, and same goes for the fats in almonds.

I've also been working out rigorously, burning off about 700-800 calories a day, resulting in my net caloric intake well under 1000 cals per day. Should I be eating more to accommodate for my workouts, and is there any way I can address this with the food planner?

An_253474 responded:
Good morning, first from my own experience. I'm a male in my 50's & when I started out last April I weighed 224lbs, I'm now a trim 155.5. I went from a size 40 waist to a 34 and at some point I might be a 32 but at this stage that's not that important as I'm happy with what I've accomplished although I still have areas I need to tone due o a little lose skin.

One thing I found out during my months of watching what I ate and exercise is to not focus too much on times when nothing seems to be happening, even though we don't see it, there's a lot of things going on that are positive.

In my case, changing my eating habits to a common sense approach without completely banning things like treats I use to eat worked for me. Exercise is fun & enjoyable & I look forward to it without any great expectations, what comes will be healthier that what I had been doing.

My weight seems to have stayed around the 157 to 155.5 for a month now & that appears to be where my body feels good so weight is more maintaining that now.

My diet is pretty much like yours, mornings I eat whole fresh fruits, lunches are typically garden salads with seeds like pumpkin, sunflower & flax seed, dinners fish like salmon, haddock, to pork loin barbecued, chicken, lots of fresh veggies. Snacks when I have them sharp cheese to potato chips to a slice or two of pizza not to often but I allow myself some compassion & I find it makes things much easier.

It could be you're pushing your body too hard. Try taking it a little easier with the exercise for 2 or three days, hydrate a lot.

Don't eat too many almonds, healthy yes but the fat content. You're burning off a lot of calories with exercise I think you should cut back to burning off no more than 400 to 500 a day for a week & see if there's any difference.

Also, I don't know what body type you are or if you're male or female. Your age, work etc also can play a part as you know.

As far as I'm concerned, you're doing well but perhaps beating yourself up.

brunosbud replied to An_253474's response:
Good post! A lot of common sense, here...

From my perspective, I've never understood the "mania" and "frenzy" associated with weight loss. Why the importance of losing the weight so "fast"? Why the weird fixation on speed? Why this unsettling, yet, unmistakeable OCD "speak" on this board?

Do you ever notice why half the posts, here, conclude with asking you to "visit this site" or "click on this link", then, buy this product? It's because advertisers/predators know the vast majority will eventually quit and give up and, when that happens, that's when people buy...just about anything!

It makes me wonder. Maybe this epidemic of Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes has nothing to do with junk diets, too many calories or lack of exercise, at all? Maybe, it's all about stress and our refusal to "let off the gas and get off at the next exit". If weight loss is about getting "healthy", how can it be a stressful process, too?

I mean, isn't that what got your sss, here, in the first place?

mojomomx2 responded:
Hi cici,
I actually just joined WebMD Food and Fitness Planner today. The "losing 10-25 lb community" caught my attention. It may help me to discuss my issues with a community interested in doing the same thing. Hopefully, it will help me stay motivated and get my weight back on track. My weight fluctuates from 135-140 lbs. I'd like to get to 125 as my first goal.

Burning off 700-800 cals/day does seem high. What type of exercise are you doing? Maybe you can try losing 1.5 lbs/wk instead of 2 lbs/wk so your calorie intake can be higher.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I never noticed that I was gaining pounds easier till my pants were so small for me. Now I am changing my nutrition to healthy food and learning how ...More

Helpful Tips

Fast Weight Loss Now
I will be brief since everyone has covered everything you need know nicely. My only tip; if you want to lose ____lbs.(boyfriends weight) ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.