Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Progress II & Thoughts
3point14 posted:
Since May of last year I've lost about 20 lbs. My highest weight was around 170 and I'm hovering around 149-152. My issue is that I have a hard time sticking with "good" behavior. I tend to get lazy after I've seen a loss of a few pounds, and go back to eating large quantities of not great food.

I'm trying to train my body to respond more favorably to healthy food. I keep baby food on hand and when I need a sugar boost, I eat a can of that.It's fruit, and cheaper than buying fresh. I've been doing a ton of soups lately, and eating a serving of veggies before I eat basically anything. I've already cutting out basics like white bread, white rice, and I never really ever drank soda so that's been easy to avoid.

I go to the gym or do something active every day. I've been walking a lot more lately with friends, and changing up my gym routine to keep myself from getting bored. I've noticed that times where I'm going to the gym more I sleep better, eat better, am more conscious of how I treat my body and have more energy, and I love all those side effects.

I'm mostly just typing this out to remind myself of what I'm doing and why. I don't like to bore the people in my life with details of my diet and exercise regiment, so I'm going to start posting more faithfully here. I had had a whole bunch of goals that I'm just not meeting, so I'm setting myself up with some new, more reasonable ones. Again! hahaha Oh well, it's a process.

Today I weighed 152 lbs. when I weighed myself this morning. I've gone to the gym every day and been very good this week foodwise, except for last night when I had two heaping bowls of rice and soup.

Friday 02.25 I want to weigh 150 lbs. I want to have gone to the gym every day except Wednesday.

Friday 03.04 I want to weigh 149 lbs.

Friday 03.11 I want to weigh 147 lbs.

Friday 03.18 I want to weigh 145 lbs.

Friday 03.25 I want to weigh 143 lbs.

Friday 04.01 I want to weigh 141 lbs. This will put me in the "normal" range BMI-wise for my height.

Friday 04.08 I want to weigh 139 lbs.

Friday 04.15 I'd like to be down to 138 lbs. by then.The last 3-8 lbs. are probably going to be hard as heck, and I don't remember 100% if I look/feel better at 130 or 135, so I guess I'll decide what I want to do when I get there. I doubt I'll want to go much lower because when I weighed 125 people thought I had an eating disorder, but I can't even see that far ahead...

As of right now I've been getting between 1200-1500 calories a day. I journal to an extreme degree, and write down mood, sleep, exercise and everything. From my journal I've learned that it's those random binge days...like one day last week, I had two pieces of toast & bacon for breakfast, 1/2 bag of chips as a snack, 1/2 a sub for lunch, and pasta and sausages for dinner. Appalling! And I don't know what it is, but some days I completely lose my focus and overdo it by like (literally!!) 2,000 calories and ruin my average for the week. It's so dumb!

I dunno...anyone wanna exchange Facebook info or anything? I do a lot better when I have someone on the same page as I am...even just through here, if anyone has any advice/comments/whatever, I'm open to it. I'm sorry if this is boring to anyone, but I think I need to have some place where I can vent about this.

Thanks for reading!

seeit2 responded:
Do you want a buddy? I'm not on facebook but you can send me an email at seeit2 at yahoo dot com. I"m in the same place you are, I think

Deb

Foreverinyoureyes2 responded:
Pi!

I feel the exact same way that you do!

For example, you saw my daily food journel's from last week. I can do well for quite some time, and then I do this self-sabotage thing and wreck the whole thing.

I was on a total roll last week, and then Thursday Steve called and said that his ex was feeling well and wanted the kids Thurs-Monday. This was an unexpected treat, so all of the sudden I made all of these plans...Steve and I had not celebrated Valentine's day yet, so we went out for dinner Thursday night. 2 glasses of wine and about 1000 calories. Then friday night I had a girls night out....at the bar. Need I say more? Then Saturday night we had a party to attend at a town about 45 mins from ours. Well, our FAVORITE resteraunt happens to be on the way. So 2 martini's plus oysters rockafeller, seafood nacho's and cuban flat bread. THEN Saturday was Alex's 14th birthday. I took him out to breakfast AND we had a family party at a local pizza place, where I drank soda, ate a bread stick and a personal pizza, AND ate a huge hunk of the toll house cookie bars WITH M & M's that I made for him.

In '07 I lost 33 lbs. I had my eating down to a science, and was hitting the gym at 5:30 a.m. at least 4 days a week. I cannot seem to reclaim that energy or motivation right now!

Right now I am sitting here drinking a carmel latte from Panera that was a gift from a friend...I am out of freakin' control.

Please friend me on fb if you feel comfortable doing so. My email addy is bknecht1@live.com .

If you could please feel free to kick my a$$ into gear I would really appreciate the effort.

3point14 replied to Foreverinyoureyes2's response:
hahaha That's the hell of it, too, like if it's someones' birthday I don't want to not celebrate! If there's the potential to have fun, I want to have fun! I've heard some people, and I'm not sure I buy it 100% but it's interesting to think about, say that food addicts are a lot like alcoholics. I don't think i'm necessarily an addict, but if there's a birthday cake around...I'm getting me a slice! hahaha

If you did it once, you can do it again, right? The year going into high school I lost about 25 lbs. and took off another 10 over the course of a year...I was walking everywhere and had a lot more free time. At this point, though, I've been super good about going to the gym and being more active and my eating has been awesome this week. It's too early to say if I can hold onto it, but when I weighed myself today I weighed 148.8

Deb, just e-mailed you. Nice to "meet" you, let's do this!!!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Go Pi!!!!

We can all do it! I'm pretty much right there with you ladies as a single mom that works long hours and is expected (as well as wants) to join in on birthday parties, pizza gatherings and the occasional date nights. It is not easy to adapt your diet and healthy lifestyle to these fun activities, but IT IS doable!

First off, size down at the pizza party. When I go to one of my daughter's friends' birthday parties, I eat a healthy meal ahead of time. Then, I am not craving the pizza but can have a little bite of the cake if it looks worthy of caloric intake.

Second, on the dates. HAVE FUN, but try to drink and eat light. Instead of beer or margaritas go for a vodka and soda or wine spritzer. If your date asks you to order appetizers, try to be more well-rounded rather than ordering all heavy and fried. I always try to get a raw or grilled vegetable dish, a naughty (heavy) food and a protein (e.g. tuna tartar, grilled chicken kabobs). Then, you will have an array to choose from and won't feel like you are torturing him with "girly" diet food.

Third, instead of getting excited about your progress and falling back into eating, mark your new weight on a calendar in plain view. You don't want to see the number go up the next day! Think, I'm on a roll and can't quit now?!?

What are some more suggestions for enjoying life and sticking to your diet "guns"?

3point14 responded:
I had a slightly naughty day yesterday, consuming about 1900 calories. Most of it was the dinner for the boyfriends' pre-birthday birthday dinner, and tonight's the real thing.

I'm so nervous I'm going to get to the restaurant and eff up. I'm so anxious that I'll overeat again and not make my first week goal, and I'm hoping that that anxiousness will parlay itself into good choices. I've decided beforehand that I am having exactly 1 of whatever appetizer we get (1 mozz stick, or 1 potato skin or whatever) and I'm either getting something off the kids' menu, or having them box up 1/2 before I even get it. I'm also going to be DD so I'm not tempted to have even a sip of liquor.

I don't want my food intake to dictate my life, but I do not want to feel like a fatty anymore either, damnit! hahahaha I'm just putting this here to give myself something tangible to look at tomorrow morning, and hopefully congratulate myself for not going out of control....ugh, wish me luck, guys!

And how's everyone doing? Amelia, I just bought a calendar solely to keep track of my weight. Good tip!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to 3point14's response:
Hi Pi!

I hope that the calendar works for you as a good reminder.

How did the birthday dinner turn out?
Fingers crossed that you aren't beating yourself up and had lots of fun.

3point14 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
hahaha Thanks so much for checking in I had fruits for breakfast and a mini bagel and veggies for lunch, so I figured I'd allow myself some room to mess up.

BUT I WAS GOOD!!!! I had a dinner roll because it's been a million years since my last one. I had a few chips off the nacho appetizer, but because I don't like 'em that much, I was able to keep it to a few chips. I had a quarter of the HUGE portion of rice I was given, and got some insanely good pork chop schnitzel that I only had like 1/3 of. I also split some bread pudding with the birthday boy, and couldn't resist some celebratory champagne.

The stuff I indulged in, I kept pretty moderate, and I sincerely loved everything I ate, so absolutely NO regrets! I got my booty to the gym earlier, and because I for once have a day off (class was cancelled and I don't have work) I'm going to go hiking!

I feel a million feet tall today. I'm so pumped, and feel like this was the first time I've managed to control my eating and actually make really good decisions.

hahahaha For once, I can't wait for my weigh-in day tomorrow!!!

How's everyone else doing?

This makes me so happy, but a little jealous because I wish I was going hiking with you instead of sitting for the day!!! Rock out to some Adele for us.

And what a great idea! I'm going to start ordering the appetizer that I don't like, so then I won't eat it! hahaha

Good job on your eventful night! I hope that your boyfriend had fun, too and you keep on pushing for that goal! The end of the month is almost here. Keep up the good work, so this blissful and proud voice will only get louder.

hahahaha The appetizer scheme worked so well too, because I said "Well, birthday boy, what do you want?" so I knew that he at least was getting what he really wanted. From now on, during "shared" parts of meals, I just won't have a strong opinion, so I'm never faced with something I craaave.

hahaha I'll be sure to get some gorgeous pictures today The trail I'm thinking of has some gorgeous panoramas, but it's nothing that's going to leave me sapped of energy later, hopefully.

Thanks so much for your support, Amelia. And if you're ever in MA, I'll show you the prettiest trails around here!

seeit2 replied to 3point14's response:
Hey Pi - I did not get your email, would you please try again?

seeit2 at yahoo dot com

thanks a bunch

and GREAT JOB when eating out!

Deb

3point14 replied to 3point14's response:
Well, weighed in today. I'm at 151.2 I'm not thrilled, but cautiously optimistic that next week'll be better. hahaha No birthdays to worry about.

Also, my body looks different than it did even last month. I'm not going to use the excuse "muscle weighs more than fat" but I will say that even though I didn't see the loss I wanted to, my clothes fit better and I've been way more active.

So, on to next week! 149 here I come!

Well, you are one pound away from your 2/25 goal and down a pound from your post, so great job! You didn't gain or stay the same!

...AND use the excuse because muscle DOES weigh more than fat and you should be proud of the definition and tone in your body! Now, I'm more inspired to workout this weekend and find some tone in this sitting gal. Thanks!

Any fun exercise plans for the weekend?

hahaha Yay! Get off that booty, move around a little!

This weekend I am working all day Saturday and Sunday, but I plan on hitting the gym super early Saturday morning. There also might be some dancing on Saturday night, but that'll pretty much be negated by the whiskey sour I plan on consuming.

On Sunday, I'm going to hit the gym after work, and if not probably go for a walk in the evening. hehehe I'll also be getting in a decent workout while we pack up and move into our new apartment!

3point14 responded:
I work in the optical department of a retail store, and as I look out today, they already have the bathing suits all set up. The cute little tank tops with flirty necklines and tiny straps, sexy little denim miniskirts and dresses with flowers on them.

This time last year, it was like "Oh, damn". I knew most of those styles wouldn't look great on me, and the ones that did, well...I was still a chub. Even though I got pretty good at masking my body flaws, I still knew the body underneath the clothes, and didn't like it. I didn't even bother buying new hiking boots, because I figured I wouldn't need 'em.

This year it's totally different. I'm looking at the clothes in a much more anticipatory way. I still have quite a bit of work to do, but I'm so much further along than I was last year. A lot of my summer clothes simply don't fit. Not that I'm going to go nuts, and not that even some of these styles will look substantially better (yet), but seeing the bikinis isn't a reminder of the body I don't have, it's a reminder of the body I'm working towards now.

I weigh myself daily, and as of this morning I weighed 148.2. I think I can maintain better than I did last week, and not have a big meal right before my weigh-in. I'm (hahaha once again) very optimistic about this week, I have my food already all planned out and the gym is now a happy part of my day.

I'm really, really proud of the work I've put into this, and am putting into this. In every other area of my life, I am extremely, extremely logical and organized. Food was kind of the one place where I'd let myself go completely nuts and completely indulge in what I wanted. I'm trying to re-train myself to let exercise and activity be my new area of possible excess, and getting out into nature more and getting to the gym consistently has been really very enjoyable. My body just feels stronger. Even though my calorie consumption has greatly reduced, I feel fuller now because I'm putting quality foods into it. I feel better about myself not just for how I look now, but because I'm taking the time and loving myself enough to resist self-destructive behavior.

Anyway. Those are just some random thoughts.
Thanks for reading!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm an American ex-pat living in Japan and enjoying everything this amazing country has to offer. I started dieting in May of 2008, and have gone ...More

Helpful Tips

Weight loss coffee
I just started using a new gourmet instant coffee that helps reduce appetite, eliminate cravings, reduce portion sizes, decrease stored ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.