Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do I get started?
Prayznhym posted:
Just joined this community. I need to lose 15 pounds and am not sure how this community works. In general I know what I need to do but really need support and accountability. Can someone help me out?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ploy40 responded:
I think you just start doing what you think works for you. Post some details of how you do it and how it's going. Some members will give you comments along the way.

If you have questions or concern you can ask for some advice.

It's hard to lose weight if you're not overweight to start with. If you're overweight it will come off quickly at the beginning then it will plateau out.

Prayznhym replied to ploy40's response:
Thanks. I've started using the Fitness and Food planner which is helpful. It's been raining for the past few days so I've not been able to walk outside like I'm used to but finally just grabbed an umbrella and got in 30 minutes of brisk walking today.

I'm 42 and suddenly gained 25 lbs in less than one year. So when I started on Wednesday, I was weighing 165lbs and I'm only 5'4" - technically overweight. I don't want to get back down to 140 because I don't think I look healthy there so my goal is 150. I want to lose it healthy not by fad diets. I'm about to leave the States for a few months and am hoping that I can access this site outside of the U.S. Does anyone know if that will be a problem?

I'm counting calories and realized that I love carbs!! So I have to figure out how to eat healthy without so many carbs. Even these breakfast bars are high in carbs. So... one day at time. Would love ideas for low carb meals that travel easily.

Tomato05 replied to Prayznhym's response:
I'm sure your body was grateful that you got some walking in despite the rain. It's raining by me too, but luckily I could go and walk on the treadmill in the gym, and do some strength training too.

You can definitely access this site from outside the USA (I'm in Australia). Where will you be going for those few months?

Some of my favourite low-carb meals:
Chopped egg-whites mixed with various vegetables, herbs and spices ;
Salad of a variety of ingredients (e.g. baby spinach, lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, radishes, celery, red cabbage, capsicum, alfalfa sprouts) with 2 or 3 tablespoons of tuna or salmon (you can transport the can of fish and open when needed);
Vegetable soup with shredded chicken and lots of herbs;
An ounce of nuts on top of either a salad or steamed vegetables;
Plain low-fat yogurt and fruit;
A protein shake.

jean4u replied to Prayznhym's response:
Prayz,

This is a process. You can't change everything at once. I started in Jan., 2010. I am 5'4" and weighed 167 lbs.. I currently weigh 135. I am maintaining that weightloss.

When I first started I did not set a goal weight. I just wanted to kick my yo-yo diet habits...and I did.

I made small changes and learned from people on these Diet boards. Like drinking 64 oz. water, (I drink Crystal Light and tea and water). Gradually cut down and out of my diet those white carbs, (except I still eat potatoes about 2x's week).

At first it was a real challenge, but as time continues it gets to be a real lifestyle change.

I could not have done it if I did not come here for support.

Let us know how and what you do.

Good luck!!!

Barb

brunosbud replied to jean4u's response:
Just ask yourself two questions:

1. How many people (do I know) have successfully lost weight and kept it off for more than 5 years?

2. How many people (do I know) have exercised at least 45 minutes, everyday, for the last 5 years?

Chances are, the answers are the same...

Find any physical activity that you can enjoy performing, daily.

Anything...

Walking. Raking leaves. Dancing. Riding a unicycle. Ping Pong. Shooting free-throws. Rough Sex.

Find it. Then, do it. Every single day.

If you couple daily exercise with clean, whole nutrition you will lose weight...and, keep it off. Forever.

Prayznhym replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks, Barb! I really blew it this weekend - hung out with my sister and their kids... had pizza, pancakes... not good! Avoided getting online today just from feeling badly from what I ate over the weekend. I know that it takes 21 days to form a habit so these 1st 3 weeks are crucial for eating healthy.

Really trying to get to 64oz of water per day. Haven't gotten past 40 yet but I'm not giving up!

Truly appreciate the support! Congratulations on your weight loss!

Prayznhym replied to Tomato05's response:
Thanks for the meal tips, Tomato05! It's a bit challenging as I'm traveling a bit this week but I think I can pull off some of the salads with tuna or salmon. Definitely need to pick up the veggies...

I'll be in South Africa. Are you able to use the food logs with your countries system? The nutritional information on the food in SA is a bit different so I'll need to figure out how to log it. And I think logging will be crucial for me to stay on course.

Hi Prayznhym

I grew up in South Africa, and although I emigrated 17 years ago, I still go there once a year to visit my family. My next visit will be November/December. The food in South Africa is good!! They are big meat eaters though.

I don't use the food log on WebMD. I use fitday.com from time to time, but I'm not really a food logger. I know very well when I eat too much without writing it down... Also, I know what to eat and how to plan mentally - it's just a matter of doing it!

You shouldn't have any problems using the food log while overseas.

Prayznhym replied to Tomato05's response:
Thanks Tomato05. I've just arrived and already have missed 2 days of drinking much water. I need to jump start that again.

I've missed the past few days of exercise - on a plane for almost 2 days, jet lag, etc - but am starting up again tomorrow. I didn't bring a scale with me so I'll have to adjust my weight goal to Kgs instead of lbs. I'm excited to stay on track!

Enjoy the trip! It must be quite cold there - pity you're there in the winter.

I also have to keep converting between kg and lbs (1 kg = 2.2lbs).

I hope the jet lag will wear off soon; maybe you'll get to try some "biltong", which is similar to beef jerky, just better! The local sausage called "boerewors" is good, too. A nice South African vegetable is "gem squash", a small round green squash.

Have fun.

jean4u replied to Prayznhym's response:
Wow, on the plane for almost 2 days can take a toll. Really hard to stay focused.Just do the best you can.

Just remember your "board buddies" are ready to listen. This support meant and still means alot to me. It was key in keeping me on track and when I went off track, to get back on real fast....that is key, too.

Barb

P.S. Let us know how your trip is.

jean4u replied to Tomato05's response:
Tomato,

How intriguing.....South African foods. I love your knowlege of various countries and their foods.

How's all those sport injuries faring?

Barb

Tomato05 replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb - yes, I've lived in a number of countries, but I suppose you always keep a soft spot for the food of your "mother country".

Thanks for asking about my injuries - much better, but the muscle tears in my calf are taking a long time to heal! Must be my age (47 in 2 weeks)...

I can jog again, but not very far before it starts playing up. I am walking on an uphill (treadmill) and doing strength training regularly though.

Still going for physio. Still maintaining my (non-desirable) weight!

I hope you are going strong yourself. Your good eating habits are now so deeply engrained - I've still got a way to go to get there. I eat lots of vegetables and lean protein at least, and definitely no fast or fatty food, so that's my stronger points at this stage.

jean4u replied to Tomato05's response:
Hi Tomato,

Good to hear your calf is making progress. It will build up, just takes time.

I can't believe how easy it is to slip back to old habits. Even though, like you say some of the good habits are deeply engrained. Exercise is one that needs a constant reminder for me. But , on the other hand I really have lost my craving for those "evil" white carbs that once, in the not so distant past, were almost uncontrollable.

Giving you a "high five" for the healthy changes you have made to eat more vegggies and lean protein! WTG!!! That is a lifestyle change that will definitely show in your future years, too.

Definitely making those "little" changes that we can stick with and adding to them, is the WTG!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

If I have to be old/which I am I at least want to be in shape!

Helpful Tips

Buddy System
Over the past 2 yrs. I have lost 37 lbs. I had a buddy, my first cousin. We'd both been blessed with the same genes! Had it not been for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.