Skip to content
stuck in a platau
jms_love posted:
Okay every day I say its a new day and start dieting...after a couple of hours all i think about is food even when i am not hungry. I want to lose weight for senior year next year to be able to wear a pretty dress for prom and not be ridiculed by the way i look. My BMI says I am obese. I am active but i just need encouragement not to linger on food too much.

Take the Poll

How do I work on not eating things that drop to my butt, back and lower stomach?
  • exersise?
  • eat what?
vote
View Poll Results

Tomato05 responded:
It's very wise of you to start on the weight loss path now, well in advance of next year, so that you have a lot of time to lose weight slowly. It is not something that should be rushed ever.

It is also good to face the overweight issue now, for health reasons. The longer you wait, the more it can ruin your health and happiness.

You've summed up the dilemma of most people wanting to lose weight - dwelling upon food, and eating when it is not necessary.

Obviously you have to take your mind off the food issue to an extent - easier said than done, I know. Still, if you could find a way to keep your mind and body busy in other ways (through busying yourself with other activities) it would help.

And you could train your mind by setting rules. You can allow yourself for example only three smallish healthy meals, as well as one small something to eat midway between breakfast and lunch, and one midway between lunch and dinner - nothing else. That may help to make your brain realise it is futile to keep thinking about food all the time - it is not going to get any food other than those set times.

All of this will only work of course if you feed your body healthy food - vegetables, fruit, lean protein, legumes, wholegrain, healthy fats like olive oil, and some low-fat dairy, all in moderation and small portions. If you eat unwisely, your body will only rebel.

Keep working on the new you, and let us know how you are doing.

jean4u responded:
JMS,

Welcome.

You are so smart to start a year ahead because that is about how long it will take. I know because I have been here a year and that is how long it takes.

Tomato gave you great tips.

Here's my tips. Drink 64 oz. water. Sugar-free teas, Crystal lite, carry a big cup with you, ALL the time!!!

Snacks: 100 cal popcorn, air popped popcorn 3 cups, prepare veggies and put in baggies. Fresh fruits.

Surf "Hungry Girl" recipes and "Spark People" websight. Recipes and lots of blogs.

You CAN and WILL do this!!!

Increase your exercise.

Keep logs on EVERYTHING!! I log my weight daily.

Good luck!

Barb

brunosbud responded:
Eat healthy and exercise, everyday, and change will come...

Especially, exercise. If you can maintain a daily exercise regimen, the benefits will become visible, very quickly. With improved lung and cardiovascular function, you will see changes in your skin. You will develop muscle tone in your legs, thighs, and buttocks. You will also notice changes in your hair, teeth and nails. As you build endurance and strength, you will soon notice an increase in your mental acuity and concentration, too.

I'm not telling you anything that hasn't been said on this board a thousand times.

The problem is, everybody measures weight loss as the criteria for better health (and beauty). That is just hogwash! The landscape is littered with people who are thin and lack fitness. It's not a flattering look at all, imo...

The goal is not necessarily what you see on the scale. It's how you feel. It's stamina. It's fitness. You focus and these criteria, instead, and the scale will move.

If you can maintain some kind of daily activity (a sport!) for the next 12 months, you will look a 100 times better than you do, now. Badminton or ping pong is great for your figure! In college, I dated a badminton player...what a body; simply incredible!

As Dr. Peeke would say, stop texting and get moving. Everyday! Dare to be different.

Spotlight: Member Stories

one amazing husband one awesome 11 year old son two sweet step-daughters 9 and 7 down 15 pounds since we got married = life is good!

Helpful Tips

Diet Clubs-All of them!
Dieting Club: 10 - 25 Lbs Exchange Dieting Club: 25 - 50 Lbs Exchange Dieting Club: 50 - 100 Lbs Exchange Dieting Club: 100+ ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.