Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can I lose weight without dieting?
margotb822 posted:
This is my ultimate question. I am looking to lose 10 pounds, not much, but they've been hanging around for about two years and I'm sick of them!

But I'm also so sick of dieting! It's miserable. And I can't find a plan that I can stick to.

So I'm embarking on a mission to find balance and listen to my body. It's hard. I've spent so many years garbling the signals that I don't even really know what I want.

I just found this forum here, and I'm excited to hear from people and learn from your experiences. I'm also sharing my experiences on my new blog, so please follow me! http://thenondietlife.blogspot.com

ploy40 responded:
Losing weight is made possible through a simple equation. The calories you burn must be greater than the calories you eat.

Diet is the fastest way to lose weight, but the important thing is can you keep it off thereafter.

If you don't want to diet, you have to exercise, that's it.

Making a lifestyle change is another way to call this. If you have been a couch potato before, start being active, it will definitely help.

I have a colleague who gained over 20 lbs. after he started a desk job. He then decided to eat healthier and bike to work daily. He lost the excess weight within 6 months. I just saw him recently, he is very slim now.

Tomato05 responded:
It needn't be a "diet" as such. If you could find a way to eat 200 or 300 calories less a day, it would be ideal - that is the equivalent of a banana and a slice of bread with margarine, for example, or a glass of juice and a small potato, etc.

If you could then also do some activity for at least 30 min.(more is better of course) daily, you could lose 1/2 pound or more a week - slow, I know, but that means that in a few months you could be rid of that extra 10lb burden. And it would have been fairly painless.

margotb822 replied to Tomato05's response:
I guess what I'm really wondering is, have we forgotten how to eat? Obesity wasn't always a problem, right? Have we spent so much time figuring out what we should and shouldn't do that we don't even recognize what our bodies really want?

I do know the calorie equations, that makes sense. But, as someone who's been "on a diet" forever (seems like anyways), I think I've so garbled my signals that I don't even know.

I think our bodies will tell us when we're hungry and when we're full. We just don't listen any more.

Do you think we can "diet" by listening to the signals and eating mindfully? I think 200-300 calories could easily be saved if we just stopped eating when we knew we were full.

These are just some thoughts I'm having. I really want to get control of my life, ya know?? Haha
Join me on my journey! http://thenondietlife.blogspot.com

Tomato05 replied to margotb822's response:
I wouldn't just rely on my body's signals, as they get all muddled with other signals. For example, you may not really be all that hungry, but when you get a visual signal of food, or smell it, you may suddenly "feel" hungry. Or you may think of food, and suddenly want it.

I think one can train your body rather to be hungry at certain times if you follow a fairly consistent routine of eating more or less the same times every day (e.g. 3 moderate meals, with 2 small snacks). Our brains can override our bodies to want what we want them to want, if that makes sense.

ploy40 replied to Tomato05's response:
You are both right. It depends on how you say it, I think.

For me, it's the difference between what I need and what I want.

If I only keep it at what I need, I feel like I don't live up to my potential.

If I do what I want, I end up ruining myself one way or another.

I just have to find the right mix between the two, that way I can do myself good and still have fun!

brunosbud responded:
"...So I'm embarking on a mission to find balance and listen to my body..."

Your body is telling you something but you're not listening...

If you're gaining weight, you're out of balance, and...

If you're losing weight, you're out of balance, too.

If you're at a stable weight, from a energy standpoint, you're in homeostasis...ie. BALANCE.

Why do you suppose that with every doctor's visit, they ask you to step on the scale? Weight gain (or loss) is directly related to immune deficiency (opening the door to disease).

If your body has truly stayed the same weight for two years, your body is speaking volumes.

People who perform the basics of a healthy lifestyle know it is the pathway to homeostasis and maximum (immune) protection against disease. They know if they remain active, eat sensibly, get plenty of rest and, most of all, moderate stress, their body will achieve balance...

And, a scale (or any other device) is unnecessary...

jmo...

Prayznhym replied to margotb822's response:
Before I changed my eating habits, my stomach "growled" all the time! When I was hungry, when I'd just eaten - it was just loud!! I used to take the noise to mean that I was hungry so I would eat. Now I make sure that I've had enough fluids, I eat until I can feel that my stomach is full and then I stop. Interestingly, as I've changed my habits, my stomach has become less noisy. So there probably is something to listening to our bodies.

At the same time, I've realized that I cannot diet but I can learn to make wise, healthy choices every day. And as I'm learning from some of the people on this site, I'm taking it one step at a time. My body adjust pretty quickly so once I stopped my love affair with junk food and started exercising, I got down to a healthier size pretty quickly. I can't do fad diets but eating healthy is worth it!

Congratulations on wanting to get control of your body! It will appreciate healthy!

Betterable responded:
I am trying something similar, for more than 50 years I have tried to follow advice on how to lose weight, dot, dot, dot. Sometimes I have succeeded, sometimes not. Just keep listening to yourself first. See yourself differently, you may not even need to lose weight just your self-image.

wwwcheers2anewucom responded:
Hi, I came across your post. With the products we have I know I can help you. Please feel free to browse and purchase products at http://www.cheers2anewu.com We have so many products for your BODY,SKIN, to fit a healthy lifestyle. We have packaged some of the products together, so loyal customers can save money.
Please check the website out. If you become a loyal customer you can get all products at a Reduce Price. If you have any questions Please feel free to leave comments or questions on my website.

Thank you

wwwcheers2anewucom replied to margotb822's response:
Hi, I came across your post. With the products we have I know I can help you. Please feel free to browse and purchase products at http://www.cheers2anewu.com We have so many products for your BODY,SKIN, to fit a healthy lifestyle. We have packaged some of the products together, so loyal customers can save money.
Please check the website out. If you become a loyal customer you can get all products at a Reduce Price. If you have any questions Please feel free to leave comments or questions on my website.

Thank You

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 26 year old female looking for a healthier life I started at 180 pounds I would like to be down to 150 pounds before the summer. As of March 1...More

Helpful Tips

Fast Weight Loss Now
I will be brief since everyone has covered everything you need know nicely. My only tip; if you want to lose ____lbs.(boyfriends weight) ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.