Skip to content
Trying to lose about 20 lbs and need some help
kmb2005 posted:
I am about 5'6" and around 150-160lbs... I was around 120 a year or 2 ago and have gained a bunch of wait. I'm not someone who is into the exercise thing nor do I have any idea what to do if I started. I work 2 jobs... Which means I work about 50-70 hrs a week.. I literally have no time to do anything which really sucks. Since I work so much I have to eat on the go so for the majority of the time I will take something quick like ham and cheese sandwich, pudding, applesauce, and maybe some chips... Occasionally I will have a bowl appetite or banquet meal...I only get about 5 hrs a sleep at night due to my work schedule work around 7am - 11pm...so in order to stay awake I will have about 4 to 5 diet pops a day. If you guys have better ideas that would be really helpful... I guess I should also add that I usually get stomach aches after everything I eat and nothing really seems to help... Please give suggestions if you have any! I would really appreciate it!!

missstashee responded:
I have recently lost 30 lbs, and was in your same situation. I wasn't overweight by much, but enough for me to feel self conscience. I work 40 hours a week, I am a single Mom, and I am going to school full time. I have a full plate. Whether you like to think about it or not, your diet needs to change. It won't be easy, but after a couple weeks, it will be much easier. I did KettleWorx to lose most of my weight. Recently, I have also joined a gym. Kettleworx will provide you with an idea for a meal plan, as well as 20 minute work outs three days a week. It isn't easy, and you may not like it most the time, but it does make the difference.

Prayznhym responded:
I can appreciate your hectic schedule! Mercy! Since you are so busy, there are small ways to get some exercise in. Park at the far end of the parking lot and walk into the store at a slightly faster pace than usual and take the steps instead of the elevator or escalator whenever you can. Our bodies need proper rest to be healthy so you are pushing it with your sleeping schedule - but I understand if it can't be avoided.

How much water are you taking in? I'm on the road a lot during the day so I've substituted some fresh fruit or raw veggies to supplement lunch instead of chips. And I try to keep water with me so that I can sip on it during the day. It's winter where I am now, so thanks to the advice of some folks here, I'm using tea to get my water in.

Making small changes at a time will make the transition to being healthy much easier.

Let us know how you are doing!

debbp615 responded:
I feel the same. I know I do not get enough sleep and I need to eat moe often. I am going to start dring protein drinks. I have heard they help

jennifert87 responded:
Well let me start off by saying, greatjob! Its hard enough to work one job, but your juggling two. Yes you do have a very hectic schedule, however, changing a few of your habits now will help everything else fallow. First, before you start your day, eat a breakfast that has lots of protein, without the carbs. Like egg whites ( hard boiled, or a quick omelet). Try to avoid the yolk, that is where all the calories and cholesterol are. You can add a tablespoon of white, or navy beans, with a small dab of sour cream, a teaspoon of salsa. That my friend is not only going to fill you up for a while, but you will loose weight, due to the higher protein vs lower carbs.

Cans of tuna packed in olive oil are delicious and also benefitial in helpin you with you weight loss goals, and satisfy your hunger. Just think of the before you eat it, make sure it has more protein than carbs, even diet soda. After eating like this for a week or two, the little bit of sleep you do get will feel like a full nights worth. Don't give up on it, this does work, I eat this way and have for 15 years, I'm 39 years and have managed to maintain my weight of 125 without workingout.

Hope this helps. Jennifer: )

mingmei replied to missstashee's response:
how long did it take you?

Anon_238530 responded:
For your lunches....use only 1 piece of bread for your sandwich instead of 2, cut back on the cheese, and use the lowest-fat ham you can find (I don't know what sort of ham is available, since I don't eat meat). Don't eat both pudding and applesauce, but eat only 1 - also try to get sugar-free or no sugar added versions (and fat-free pudding). Instead of the chips, bring some carrots or an apple to snack on. Frozen meals have a ton of salt, so I would stick to fresh foods more often. If you really want a frozen meal, make some meals at home on a day when you're not busy, using fresh ingredients, freeze those, and then microwave those instead of eating processed foods.

I thought I may have read somewhere that diet soda can actually cause weight gain, although I can't remember where that source was, so don't quote me on that. If you want a caffeinated drink, go for tea or coffee, but make sure if you want to add sugar, add splenda instead, and use skim milk if you want some milk in there.

brunosbud responded:
John Wooden, wrote:

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

"Never mistake activity for achievement."

"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."

"Young people need models, not critics"

"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights."

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Coach Wooden was such a smart man...

My advice to any person reading this post?

Find a really good "model", ask lots of questions, then, pattern your life after them.

CatLover253 replied to brunosbud's response:
I love this quote. It works in ALL aspects of life. Thanks for sharing!

justmejust replied to brunosbud's response:
Great advice, thanks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 21, 5'11" and weigh 165 lbs. My goal is to be 145 lbs. I have tried to diet several times in the past, but I always seem to gain ...More

Helpful Tips

Weight loss coffee
I just started using a new gourmet instant coffee that helps reduce appetite, eliminate cravings, reduce portion sizes, decrease stored ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.