Skip to content
What's good for breakfast.?
Betterable posted:
Many diets suggest cereal...I hate cereal...diet for years has been mostly cheddar cheese toast. What are other "successful" breakfast suggestions do you have besides cereal?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Tomato05 responded:
I am not keen on cereal either, apart from the occasional oats.

My favourite breakfast is a couple of egg-whites, chopped and mixed with various things like fresh parsley or other herbs like cilantro, chopped tomato or alfalfa sprouts, chopped peppers, and a bit of either soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. I also have a small piece of fruit if I'm going to the gym.

You can also make an egg-white omelet and top it with various chopped vegetables.

Some days I have fruit and yogurt, maybe also 1/2 cup of vegetable juice.

If for some reason I don't have breakfast (because I'm not hungry or I'm late) I may have a whey protein shake.

Betterable replied to Tomato05's response:
Thanks for sharing....I do allow myself egg yolks when I cook eggs because I think I need the choline.

Tomato05 replied to Betterable's response:
Yes, egg yolks are very nutrient-rich, so it's good that you eat them too. I also eat about 2 a week.

I just limit them because they contain more calories than the whites, including more fat, as well as a lot of cholesterol.The whites also have most of the protein (just more than half) contained in the egg, so by eating whites I still get a good amount of protein.

You can of course also get choline from other sources like meat, fish, poultry, peanuts, cauliflower, soy, potatoes etc.

3point14 responded:
Fruit salad and flax seed.

Whole wheat toast and peanut butter.

A square of dark chocolate, a serving of light cheese and some grapes (if you're feeling a little decadent).

Betterable replied to 3point14's response:
Thank you for your suggestions. I am starting off slowly to revise some habits so I thought breakfast might be a good place. As I hope my experience might help you, too, I'll mention that soy inhibits thyroid meds. I have done the peanut butter on ww toast sometimes, yet I have to watch eating peanut butter and/or chocolate early in morn often sets me up for cravings of them all day long. I do indulge in dark chocolate in late afternoon often. Lindt 90% Cocoa seems the best. I have also had a little luck with Chobani plain yogurt with frozen fruit.

jean4u responded:
My fav breakfast is egg white (discard yolks) cut like deviled eggs and fill with hummus (chopped celery) and season w/red pepper flakes. Make these up and keep in fridge.

I boil a doz. eggs and have on hand.

Also, love egg-white omelettes. Two egg whites, baby spinach or broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, lf/cheese.

Barb

Betterable replied to jean4u's response:
Jean4u, not clear what you mean by hummus (chopped celery) comment. Do you make hummus yourself?

brunosbud responded:
Green smoothies cheddar cheese toast

Betterable replied to brunosbud's response:
What do you mean by green smoothies? I already do cheddar cheese toast...90% of time.

brunosbud replied to Betterable's response:
Dear Betterable,

Nice of you to ask...

A "smoothie" is generally a blended fruit drink. "Green" simply involves adding one (or more) leafy greens to the blend.

If you google "green smoothie recipe"...you get 402,000 results.

The one I had this morning had a couple mango slices, half a banana, half a kiwi, a couple slices of avocado, and half a handful of spinach leaves. Throw in a little 1% (or skim milk)...a little water...a little honey...a little flax seed oil...Blend on high for 30 seconds. Done.

Each green smoothie drinker has a different recipe...

...strawberries, oranges, grapes, watermelon...kale, cucumbers, carrots, romaine lettuce, yellow or red bell peppers...Anything I can find in the kitchen that's raw and fresh works for me.

Lately, I specifically want more protein so I'll even throw in lima beans, raw mushrooms, or even walnuts on occasion. The taste is nondescript because blended fresh fruit has the more overpowering flavor in any smoothie.

To be honest, I don't often eat cheddar cheese toast in the morning but I could and still be in great nutritional stead for the better part of the day...

The point is this...If you drink a "green smoothie" (or three), everyday, it 'aint going to matter what you eat with it...

You will be feeling a whole lot better in a very short period of time.

Betterable replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks for the tips, the idea that mixing fresh veggies with fruit is worth trying. A little uncomfortable with idea of fresh greens due to E. Coli concerns. What kind of blender do you use?

brunosbud replied to Betterable's response:
My old Osterizer died two months ago. Bought a new one from Costco for $25. Does the job faster than dirt!

gcrii responded:
Hello I am curious about the Cheddar Cheese Toast. How do you make it? What type of bread? What type of Cheddar Cheese? What is it's benefit?
Thanks!

sdtrezvant responded:
My breakfast is totally carb-free, 4 egg whites, with 2 or 3 slices of bacon that is baked, not fried. One each of low-fat turkey and ham slices, about a tablespoon of shredded sharp cheese. I make an omelet with all the ingredients, cooked in olive oil. I also have a half of cup of coffee and water.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I used to be skinny and eat out all the time, I've been eating healthy foods but gaining weight, my portions are out of control, I hope to gain in...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Weight Loss Tip
Make half of every plate fruits or vegetables. Eat them first, drink a large glass of water and wait a few minutes. Then eat the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 60 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.