Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Really tired of trying to do this
An_239932 posted:
I hate the fact I cannot lose weight. I really don't know what more I can do to achieve weight loss. I have been trying for at least 3 or 4 years and have lost a little so I decided to try a support group. When I state what I do you will really wonder why I cannot do it. I am 5' 3". and weigh 163. My BMI is 33. I just recently upped my exercise routine in a real effort to reduce. I ride my bike 1 hour 5 times a week. I do a machine called true slider at a gym (Shapes) and floor exercise for 1 hour 5 days a week. Then I go into the pool and do water exercise for another hour 5 days a week. I do this faithfully and have been for close to 6 months. Ok, so what do I eat. I eat practically nothing. I really like the Zone diet check it out at www.zonediet.com if you like. The premise is every meal consists of protein, fat and carbs in a proportional amount. I try to make an omelet (egg whites only) every morning. If not I make a Yoplait smoothy (check it out they are great) with some chicken for protein. After that I barely eat. I really like Kashi Chicken Florentine tvdinner for lunch. and eat a small dinner of chicken and vegetables. I do snack and my big treat is a Starbuck Chocolate smoothy. I know it has 300 calories. I am older over 50 and under a moderate amount of stress but I wouldn't call it excessive. I am willing to try almost anything including medication if you can tell me what I should ask my doctor for. I would love to lose 25 pounds but if I could 10 pounds I would be estatic.

Tomato05 responded:
Maybe try to pinpoint how many calories you consume every day - try to count them daily for about a week. It is important to know how many calories your body require to maintain your weight (different for everyone, that's why you have to calculate it "individually"); then you can work out how many to take in to lose weight.

After that you can take further steps, e.g. pick a level like 1200 cal and spread them out throughout the day, focusing your food intake on lean protein, vegetables, a little fruit and skim dairy, healthy fats.

vicpen1 responded:
I can definitely understand how you feel. I've been trying to lose about 20 pounds for about 3 years without much success. I exercise at least 5 times a week but I know where I go wrong. I tend to binge eat, sabotoging my diet. In the last 2 weeks, I joined WebMD and have been calculating my daily caloric intake and physical activity. This has really helped me tremendously. I am forced to be accountable for everything I consume. Just knowing that I have to report my food intake has helped me stop binge eating. I've lost 4 hounds in the last 2 weeks as a result! Part of my weight loss plan is that I only consume 1200 calories per day. I'm so excited and hope I can keep this up. I signed up for daily e-mail reminders to help me log all of my activities and foods. Perhaps this could help you too..

elegantgem replied to vicpen1's response:
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts. It nice to know others are willing to help. Just wondering how you figure out your calorie count for different food items. I do journal but don't put a calorie count. I keep a book in my car and journal before I go into Shapes for my workouts. I am moving towards being a vegetarian making a vegetarian dish from the Vegetarian Magazine once a week. The zone diet is so big on protein though I will not eliminate it totally but minimize it to eating just 1 oz to 3 oz a day.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I recently came home from a deployment & gained 20 lbs I can't seem to lose! Life & family issues have sapped every ounce of motivation to...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Weight Loss Tip
Make half of every plate fruits or vegetables. Eat them first, drink a large glass of water and wait a few minutes. Then eat the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.