Skip to content
Really tired of trying to do this
An_239932 posted:
I hate the fact I cannot lose weight. I really don't know what more I can do to achieve weight loss. I have been trying for at least 3 or 4 years and have lost a little so I decided to try a support group. When I state what I do you will really wonder why I cannot do it. I am 5' 3". and weigh 163. My BMI is 33. I just recently upped my exercise routine in a real effort to reduce. I ride my bike 1 hour 5 times a week. I do a machine called true slider at a gym (Shapes) and floor exercise for 1 hour 5 days a week. Then I go into the pool and do water exercise for another hour 5 days a week. I do this faithfully and have been for close to 6 months. Ok, so what do I eat. I eat practically nothing. I really like the Zone diet check it out at www.zonediet.com if you like. The premise is every meal consists of protein, fat and carbs in a proportional amount. I try to make an omelet (egg whites only) every morning. If not I make a Yoplait smoothy (check it out they are great) with some chicken for protein. After that I barely eat. I really like Kashi Chicken Florentine tvdinner for lunch. and eat a small dinner of chicken and vegetables. I do snack and my big treat is a Starbuck Chocolate smoothy. I know it has 300 calories. I am older over 50 and under a moderate amount of stress but I wouldn't call it excessive. I am willing to try almost anything including medication if you can tell me what I should ask my doctor for. I would love to lose 25 pounds but if I could 10 pounds I would be estatic.

debbp615 responded:
I have about 20-25 lbs to lose and it is hard to do. It sounds as though you are exercising a lot. And eating healthy but maybe you are not eating often enough. Every 3 hours your body needs something. The lifestyle coach
I use says 6 meals a day 3 hours apart, nothing after 8p.m. and any serving of food cannot be over 4 grams of sugar.
That is what I am going to try. He has lost over 400 lbs and kept it off for over 10 years.

JPBinCO responded:
I had to look to see if I wrote this post myself, and had forgotten. We are the same height/weight. I am stuck, too. I am a formerly thin person, and I have gained weight over the past 5 years after a couple of surgeries. I also have fibromyalgia, so exercising is a challenge. I eat healthy, and don't eat too much (according to my nurse). She says I need to get the regular exercise, so I try to walk 30-60 minutes a day (at least 10,000 steps a day). So far, I'm down only 5 pounds. My cholesterol is also skyhigh, so I'll probably have to go on a med for that. Very frustrating. My weight gets to maybe 157, then it goes right back up. ARGH.

elegantgem replied to JPBinCO's response:
Hi JP,

thanks for responding to me. I need people to talk to about this and really try to come up with a strategy to this problem. I can make one suggestion for your cholesterol try eating cranberries. It is really suppose to help. I got my cholesterol within reason in combination with cranberries and other endeavors.. Have you ever considered B12 shots? I really didn't want to go to medicine but I am considering it because it is suppose to help in weight lose. What do you think?

Gibby1o1 replied to debbp615's response:
An_, I agree with debb here, it doesn't seem like you are eating enough times a day, try to plan for 5 to 6 times a day between 1600 and 1800 calories.

I have lost 90 pounds doing exactly what she says the only difference is we tried to stick to foods with less than 2g of "sugar" and get it different ways like from starches (Corn, Carrots, whole foods with high GI, etc...), although the wife and I didn't go to a nutritionist, eating this way just makes sense. Especially since you are excercising sooo much!.

elegantgem replied to Gibby1o1's response:
hi everyone,

thanks for replying to me. No one mentioned how they figure out their calorie count a day. I had been doing it about 6 months ago but stopped on the zone diet. Anyway, here was a typical day. Breakfast - Yoplait trible berry smoothie. I figure 400 calories since I add 1 cup of low fat milk. Do you think that is reasonble? Lunch is my tv chicken florentine which I figure about 550 calories. Dinner I have chicken and lentils which I make in a slow cooker which I figure about 600 calories. Add into that snacks of apple, kashi bar and 2 hardboil eggs. Now that is 6 small meals with my total calorie count I feel 1900 calories. Remember I am eating no carbs at all and haven't for over 6 months. So do you see any improvements are big errors? Remember I am doing my over 3 hours of exercise a day. No weight loss yet.

Tomato05 replied to elegantgem's response:
It's impossible to say if your calorie count is correct without knowing your portion sizes and way of preparing the food (e.g. how much oil is added).

For example, 1/2 cup of lentils (the portion you should be eating) has about 120 calories, while a cup has double that.

You are definitely eating carbs - lentils, apple, kashi bar, has lots of carbs; dairy has carbs too. A big apple has 31g of carbs, a cup of lentils has 40g, a Kashi bar probably 30g, the Yoplait pprobably about 15 etc. milk 12g, so you're over 120g of carbs already, which is not a bad thing - your body needs carbs for many essential functions.

I would add more vegetables in my diet if I were you - e.g. the kashi bar calories could be replaced with a few vegetable portions for the same calories. Or reduce your portion of chicken and lentils and add a vegetable or salad.

To lose weight, a very rough indication of the calorie level is to eat 7 - 10 calories per pound. If you lower your intake to about 1400 cal you should start seeing a weight loss.

elegantgem replied to Tomato05's response:
Hi there,

Ok, thanks for the response and I did make a mistake. I do know apple, kashi bars, and milk have sugars or carbs. I forgot which forum I was in because I am so use to the zone diet one but I have to give that one up since it certainly wasn't working for me. I have a rule no bread, rice, potatoes or pasta because I cannot control my portions. When I was doing the zone diet I bought their foods which had little or no sugar. I spent so much money on it (over $4,000.00) and really was never hungry but I gained 3 pounds and so I stopped.
Onto now with all this exercising I need to eatl so yes I am eating a cup of lentils at the evening meal with chicken. So given this sort of irrelevant post how much emphasis do you put on the types of sugars you eat. When you get hungry what do you eat?

marisasibley replied to elegantgem's response:
www.healthylifestylebalance.com
www.redefininghealth.org

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am looking forward to losing 15 pounds and keeping them off for the rest of my life. My real goal is to *not* become a diabetic, which happened to m...More

Helpful Tips

Buddy System
Over the past 2 yrs. I have lost 37 lbs. I had a buddy, my first cousin. We'd both been blessed with the same genes! Had it not been for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.