Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Eat what I want and still lose? (read more)
cle123 posted:
Okay, so Im not sure if this is the right section to post this in, but I will ask anyhow. SO my friend, who I work out with everyday, basically eats ANYTHING he wants to and he still is able to see results as far as lifting (he is not trying to lose body fat). His upper body is becoming noticable toned, although he still eats pizza, burgers, and other fatty foods. Only thing he said he does is not eat sweets or dessert, no pop, eats more fruit and veggies when throughout day, and he drinks strictly water (and beer). I dont believe our metabolism has anything to do with it as he is not trying to lose body fat just gaining muscle. Is this possible for me also? If I cut out all sweets, drink more water, eat more fruits/veg, and exercise more, can I eat what I want and still lose weight?

Tomato05 responded:
It still comes down to calories.

If you cut out sweets, eat more fruit and veg, etc.and stay at or below the calorie level necessary to start losing weight, you will see a weight loss.

However, if you do all the above and stay above that calorie level, you will not lose weight.

It is possible to eat pizza, burgers etc. and still have your overall calorie intake low enough to lose weight. E.g. a McDonalds hamburger has about 250 calories. If a meal consists of only the burger you can stay well within a reduced calorie range for the day,

BUT, it is not such a good idea to keep eating fatty things like that on a regular basis! You are ingesting a lot of undesirable sodium and fat that way (clogging up your arteries), while depriving your body of other important nutrients like antioxidants. Long-term your body can't function optimally without the essential nutrients and you lower your immunity and set yourself up for disease.

brunosbud responded:
I've carried a pedometer for a long time; it's just as important to me as my cell phone. I don't go anywhere without my pedometer.

I stopped "working out" many years ago when I discovered how impactful walking has on my fitness, weight control and, most importantly, my blood sugar level. I have a family history of Type 2 diabetes.

It's estimated the average person takes 3,000-4,000 steps per day...

For the last 3 years, I've averaged 6 miles/day, 365. Since my stride length is 29", I have to take 13,200 steps to travel six miles. Since I weigh 166 pounds, and I walk roughly 3-4mph, I burn...

566 kcals for the 6 miles I walk everyday. (This is flat, level walking, btw...When you walk hills, it's more.)

566 kcals is enough calories for an extra full meal!

Plus, by splitting my walking over 2 sessions (morning and evening), my resting metabolic rate runs incrementally higher throughout the day, thereby, burning even more calories.

My point is, based on the information you've given, it's difficult to answer your question...

You're missing about 23 hours of data...

isaedtec replied to Tomato05's response:
agree

Spotlight: Member Stories

hi, I am a 52 year old woman and looking to lose anywhere from 15 to 20 lbs before my birthday which is in june, started the food and fitness planner ...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Weight Loss Tip
Make half of every plate fruits or vegetables. Eat them first, drink a large glass of water and wait a few minutes. Then eat the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.