Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopausal help!
50andfun posted:
Hi All,

I just joined this group. I am almost 51 and perimenopausal. I fear the meno-pot weight gain associated with raging hormones and out of control stress eating. I would like to lose a good 10 lbs and keep it off. I did lose 10 before my 50th but gained close to 5 back. Don't like yoyo dieting either. I eat pretty healthy and have cut down on eating too much at night. I am taking black cohosh to help with menopausal symtoms. Any tips?

Tomato05 responded:
I am also in your age group (47) and have been struggling to lose 10lb also.

What changes did you make to lose the 10lb before you turn 50? It worked for you then; maybe it will work again.

I also eat fairly healthy. but my calorie intake is way too much. A lot of unnecessary calories is coming from candy (my only really unheathy item).

Welcome, and keep posting!

peaceonearthnow replied to Tomato05's response:
Before a lower back injury, I was an avid runner and dieter. Since I have stopped daily exercising, my weight has increased about 5 pounds. Weight watchers has helped me in the past, but I would like to get inspiration from online. WebMD seems to be an answer to my prayers. I also have menopausal systems; I do not take medicine, but try to endure the symptoms. I have tried natural products, but they did not work; although, the symptoms have decreased with time.

I think I need to change my attitude about myself since turning 50. Do not stop exercising, but be slow and consistent. When I was younger, I excercised vigorously; I cannot now. I feel if not vigorous, then nothing.

I am starting my change of attitude and physical activity today. Accepting change is a start - slow down, be consistent, eat healthy.

50andfun replied to peaceonearthnow's response:
I am taking black cohosh and it seems to work for hot flashes and mood swings. I am very impatient with this "change of life" going on and most ob/gyns recommend Remifemin. I think this will help with the moods but with the weight, exercise and eating right is the only answer. I cut down on carbs at night and ate lighter when I lost the 10 lbs. It is keeping it off that is the trick. I try to walk on my breaks at work and park off campus but I think I need weight training also. It is just finding and making time for it. I am sure I have a long road ahead of me but I am determined to not let menopause make me fat! If we all encourage each other, I think we can succeed.

Maemae1962 replied to 50andfun's response:
Wow just joined today, and I sure do understand, I have been on a yoyo with weight, However I use Estroven , so far so good. I still have a few warm spells but I can tell you I would be a sweat mess if I didn't use them. They are natural and found with vitamins, I wish you the best of luck.
Maemae

marisasibley replied to Maemae1962's response:
www.healthylifestylebalance.com
www.redefininghealth.org

Doitkim replied to Maemae1962's response:
Hi there....Just started on this journey. I am 54 years old have two grand children and one son. Weight today is 234 pounds and also am not very tall at 5'4''...my son is also over weight so....Mom got this idea to have a bet from Jan to June we need to lose 40 pounts....not sure if we can do that much but it's a goal. Maybe, we can share experiences, receipes along this journey....we all start off positive need to stay that way......
Good Luck....
Kim

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been struggling with my weight for many years. I have gotten to the point where I am trying to manage stress, eat better and exercise on a regu...More

Helpful Tips

Weight loss coffee
I just started using a new gourmet instant coffee that helps reduce appetite, eliminate cravings, reduce portion sizes, decrease stored ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.