Skip to content
Weight
3point14 posted:
I know what works for me to lose weight.

For me to successfully lose weight...
  • I need to keep a hand-written journal of everything I eat, planning out my week in advance.
  • I need to eat mostly fruits and veggies, with brown rice, hard boiled eggs, and meat taking the place of cheese, carbs, and take out.
  • I need to avoid booze completely (or near completely) and to also avoid chinese food completely.
  • I need to be able to exercise appx. three hours a week.
  • I need to drink a ton of water.

So why can't I just DO it?! hahaha It's frustrating, I know the "formula" it takes to lose, I just have such a time sticking to it. This time of year, there's always a special treat coming to mess up my diet, or a snow storm cancelling my plans to hike. I haven't put on weight, per se, I just can't keep it off.

Because my effort is inconsistent, I don't see any consistent results. I wanted to be at least ten pounds lighter than what I currently am by this past September...and here I am, still stuck in the low to mid 140s. I feel really good about my body, I still can't get over the changes in my skin quality and my energy levels, but I'm not great about my exercise, and I can be very impulsive when it comes to food. I'm kind of an "all or nothing" type of person, and when I'm doing well and being healthy I'm very good about it, but when I'm not doing well I'm very lazy about what I eat and how frequently I exercise.

So, here I am Back to the diet boards. I'm done with setting goals and timelines, that doesn't work for me. I'm just going to use this to keep myself accountable, and hopefully get some support.

Breakfast- Green apple and carrots
Lunch- 1/2 a steak and cheese sub from last night
Snack- Cucumber and hummus
Dinner- Haven't decided yet. Hopefully nothing too disasterous

Also, tonight I'll be doing swing dancing for the first time! Very excited to learn that skill, it's always been something I've wanted to do, and I'm hoping it'll be a weekly exercise that I look forward to!

Thanks for reading, and feel free to share any advice or comments (and support!)

RoseLynn02 responded:
I think coming to the board for support is a good idea. It's helped me a lot. Since I've been coming here I have gotten a lot of support & sticking to my diet/exercise plan & I have lost 5lbs. But then again I moved to a city where I don't know anybody & my closes relative is an hr & half away & I haven't made any friends here yet & to top it off my husband is a trucker who is gone 5 days a week. So, for me this is my whole support group. I'm happy your doing so well in your en-devours. Keep it up. Good luck with your swing dance class. I've always wanted to try it myself but finances don't allow it for me. Raising 2 kiddos isn't cheap. Keep us updated on your progress. Looking forward to your next post.

3point14 replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Hi, Rose I'm glad the boards have been able to help, and hope I can, too! Congrats on the five pound loss!

I'm sorry about your living situation, though, that sounds brutal. Could you find a support group in the area through your local library? I'm sure a lot of them would have some kind of provision for baby-sitting, too. The swing dance thing, for me, is a free thing the Lions club down the street does. Fun

Keep your chin up, lady. How old are the kids? You can make them into workout buddies! hehehe

Breakfast- Two slices of toast with peanut butter
Lunch- Cucumber and yogurt
Snack- Apple
Dinner- Cube steak, brown rice, and peppers

That's my plan for the day today. I know the cube steak isn't great, but I love it, so worthwhile to me.

My manfriend had a doc appointment today and weighed thirty pounds more than what he thought he did. He was appalled. I feel bad for the guy, but I think it'll be a good motivator. He's been getting slightly better about his eating over the last few weeks, but hopefully I can convince him that huge changes need to be made...starting with us talking a walk together tonight!

RoseLynn02 replied to 3point14's response:
Don't be sorry. I love my family, but some distance sometimes isn't bad. Besides the manage to make it this way through the yr & we Manage to make it to them. Wish my finances were a bit better, but his some job change issues when we 1st moved here. My hubby was promised something from a company to get him out here & that's not what he got so he needed a job change a it took him time to get there & now we are catching up. We shall figure it though & had planned on moving here before he even had the job offer to begin with. So all in all the only really brutal thing is not having my husband home as much as I would like, but you got to do what you got to do....especially with 2 kids in the mix.

I found one of my main issues making friends though is people don't care for where I'm from & I refuse to act like I'm ashamed of it. I like being a Vegas girl, I just didn't want to raise my kids there. But people were I live now seem to scurry away from me with out even getting know me the second they find out my home town. Strange huh?

My kids are amazing! My oldest daughter is 3 & my youngest will be 1 in December. They are my little work out buddies. MY oldest does my exercise video with me & shows off to everyone how she does her burpies & her leg jacks & uses bottle water as her weights. It really is adorable. My youngest likes to do yoga with me. She does a great job with her warrior poses & down dog while my oldest mostly just likes doing chateranga into cobra. It's so cute to watch them though & my oldest reminds me every day " Mommy we have to do our work out!"

I haven't found any free activities here yet other than things for the kids, so we do lots of those. I even tried finding a local moms group & had no luck. Small town living I suppose, but I love it & eventually (like once the kids start school I hope) I'm sure people will warm up to me & realize that "the Vegas Girl" ain't so bad.

Sounds like a good plan. The cube steak is the only thing that sounds good. but that's dieting for you. I have found that as long as I eat smaller portions & work out that I still manage to loose weight well, but I eat pretty healthy to begin with( not perfectly by far). I have decided though to eat better though. Small changes little by little, easier to get use to & make them permanent...at least for me.

Sorry about your friend or man friend? What should I call your man friend? I'm slightly lost on that one. Any-who, That would be incredibly disappointing. Please tell him I will have him in my thoughts as well & I do Hope his weight loss journey improves. I think having your support will really re-empowering ( make sense?).

Anyway, keep posting. I look forward to our next chat. Tomorrow perhaps?

Hi honey! It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders about the move. Sucks that your husband isn't around more, I could never do that! Your kids sound ADORABLE~ Teaching them the fun along with the health benefits of exercise is so important, what a wonderful job you're doing. They must love it!

I had yesterday off from work. Days off are my bad days, and yesterday was no exception....went out with my Gram and had a huge plate of pasta at Olive Garden. I did skip on dessert, though, which was quiiite a struggle.

Breakfast- Mango baby food and protein bar
Snack-Apple and string cheese
Lunch-Cucumber
Dinner-Pork tenderloin and brown rice

I know, eating baby food is weird. But I work in a retail store that doesn't sell fruits and that's the closest thing I got!

hehehe manfriend's just what I call my long term, live-in boyfriend. I've been so happy, since he had that doc's visit he's been more active, eating better, and we're both joining a gym together on Friday!! We've been sort of discussing marriage in the next few years, and I think this journey to get more healthy together will have us lookin' foxy if we do decide to tie the knot soonish

It's hard, having my husband gone so much, but sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.

Pasta is a weakness of mine too. I come from an Italian background so it's pretty much a staple food for us.

I think my kiddos are pretty adorable & love that they work out with me. My oldest daughter staid at my parents for 2 days. Would you believe I didn't work out the whole time she was gone? I didn't realize how much she pushes me to work out. Every day she comes to me & says "O.K. Mommy! It's time for us to work out!" She even pushes me as if she was my coach telling me "Keep going Mommy! You're doing good! Almost done!" She thinks it's just fun, like a game...but I realized when she was gone that for me she really is keeping me going & not letting me slack.

I don't find it weird or at least not too weird that you ate baby food. My mother-in-law loves baby peaches & bananas. So you're not the first one I've heard doing that. If you can though you might want to find a local farmers market so you got the nutrition really need to be getting from fresher produce. Jarred baby foods has a lot of additives in it.

O.K. Now I get "man-friend". How bout we just cal him your BF (boyfriend ) or SO (significant other)? Would that be ok? Well good luck with your possible marriage. Let me know if/when it happens. Have you been married before? or do you have kids? just curious if you don't mind me being so.

Congrats on joining the gym. I can't afford it, but I have work out tapes & weights, so I just get my exercise at home. It's working though. I'm down 3 more lbs, so now I went from 163lbs down to 155 lbs & in 3wks. I'm excited. How are your endeavors? Making progress of sorts I hope? I don't see how you wouldn't be with that diet. It seems like it would work.

That's so sweet that she keeps you so motivated. If you really think about it, working out is kind of a game. I think the body likes movement, likes sweating. Kids get this better than grown-ups, I suppose.

hehehe we can call him my SO. Thanks for the luck I've never been married before, no kids. I'm a 23 year old optician/caterer/make-up artist/student. Busy busy!

I'm really excited to join the gym tomorrow!!! My SO and I are signing up with a plan through his insurance where it'll wind up only being $10 a month for us which is just a godsend, I wouldn't be able to afford anything fancy myself. I admire you for workin out at home, and yay for the three pound loss!!! That's awesome!

I haven't seen the scale move an inch. My diet has been pretty low-cal for the better part of year and a half now, so calories alone doesn't make the big change for me. I think once I get my activity level up with the gym, though, it'll be a lot better. I'm stuck at 145, though I fluctuate from 143-146. I want ideally to see around 125/130ish, though I'd be happy with 135. When I started originally last January, I weighed 168, so I'm really proud of all the work I've put in so far

My food today, horrible.
Breakfast-None
Lunch- 6 in. roast beef sun from Subway (my first time ever trying Subway, didn't love it) and 250 cal. Kettle Cooked chips
Snack-Apple
Dinner-Spinach,cucumber, rice and corn. (Not all mixed up)

Tomorrow will be my first day at the gym. After tomorrow, no more fast food until Jan.1! That's my big goal.

Congrats again on the 3 lb. loss!

I didn't realize, your actually not far from my own age. I'm actually 25. Before I had my kids I was never more than 125lbs. Being this weight for me is hard. I hate looking at myself in the mirror & rarely let people take pics of me this heavy. Don't get me wrong, I'm 5'6'', so although I'm technically over weight I really don't look heavy. I struggled with anorexia as a teen & think that's where my issues with my physical appearance started. I have this obsession with remaining "thin". Sad but true. I don't want to go back to being 125lbs because now I'm wise enough to know that I really didn't look healthy at that weight with my height. I want to be 130-135lbs at the most. After I had my first born it took me a year to get down to my post pregnancy weight, but i did it & I know I can do it again. I didn't focus much on toning my body that time though & this time I am. I use to have a really sexy tummy & now it's not so hot & I want to fix that. I wish my umm chest still looked the same but I can't afford to fix that. My husband says not to loose too much because he likes my back-end better now. I don't mind having put on the weight so much, considering how it got there , but I'm very focused on fixing it.

Now knowing your age, I'm glad you said engaged eventually, Enjoy being young....I didn't get to. Not that I regret it, but I was pregnant with my 1st at 21 & had her at 22. It's not easy. I wouldn't take it back, but now here I am 25 & been out of school for 7yrs & trying to go back & finish my degree while being mommy of 2 & a wife. Don't get me wrong, I love it, every minute of it & if I could go back & do it over again knowing everything I know now I would still do it the same way.

Enjoy being SO's for a bit before you guys become married w/ children, that's all I'm saying. Either way, I hope you guys are happy together always. I was young too with mine, but I really feel he is my soul mate. We shall see I suppose. I'm thrilled you are taking about your future together though. Being able to be open & talk about things like that isn't easy for a lot of people & it's great that guys are able to be open with one another. I'd say that's a good sign & a good start.

I'm also thrilled you get start getting moving tomorrow. Have fun at the gym & let me know how it goes & if you both enjoy it. That's awesome that it's so affordable for you both. Make sure you stick to it & stay motivated though. Do you have a weekly plan? Like once a day or 3 times a wk? for your gym activity? anything you're focusing on or everything in general? My abs are my main focus.

Thanks for the support. I'm pretty happy about that 3lbs. I'm glad I'm still so young. It helps make loosing weight so much easier. I'm glad you have been able to maintain your weight through your diet. Some people have quit a struggle with even that. I think posting with you thus far has really been helpful for me. Hope it's helping you too. Talk to you tomorrow ok?

Yeah, I'm between 5'2'' and 5'3'' so for me the extra weight ain't cute. I got to be a bit of a fattie through booze and pot, which I still do both of but am hoping to not let affect my weight.

Knowing that you struggled with anorexia before makes me SO impressed you're doing this the healthy way. I love how self-aware you sound, it must be so empowering to have beaten that and still be able to take care of your body. I'm sure your husband must love your pre-baby body, his babies made it that way! But seriously, so much admiration for you for not going back to bad habits. I had to stop losing weight for a little while when I found myself obsessing over it a little too much, it must be a hard boundary for you.

I couldn't imagine going to school with two kids and a husband, honestly. I work a ton, at least fifty hours most weeks, and I'm not a fulltime student. I definitely want to marry my fella eventually (i think he's my soulmate, too) but we're both definitely happy going at a pretty slow pace. hahahaha Well, to be totally honest we moved in after dating for only two months, but that's only because I knew what I wanted, and that was to see him every day and he felt the same way about me In terms of kids though it's just not something I have the strength to put on my plate right now. Again, wowza lady! To have two little ones at such a young age, working on a degree AND taking the time to lose weight the healthy way...seriously. Hats off to you.

I've decided we're gonna do the gym every weekday morning and Saturday afternoons. We've been doing walks at night, and so far so good on that. He's about 50 lbs overweight, and the Dr. mentioned diabetes at his last visit so he's very, very motivated and I want to help keep him that way and really make the most of that ambition. In terms of what I want to do at the gym, I'm not 100% sure yet. Probably something like 45 min. of cardio and then some weights stuff. Nothing in specific I'm focusing on yet, though I do do 100 crunches a day already so I guess I'm already working on my tummy

I'll let you know how it goes. Talking to you has been a huge help, glad to help you out too! We're both young, we both deserve the bodies we want!

You're so sweet on all your kind comments, I'm sch a wuss you darn near brought tears to my eyes. My husband says I'm beautiful as I am & that his babies made me look like this & he doesn't want me to change it. As sweet as that is & I know he means it, really it was kind of enabling me. I know it's not healthy for me to have so much extra weight, but I also know it's not healthy for me to be too skinny so I'm trying to find that healthy balance. It's not so hard for me to deal with my past anorexia issues because now I have kids & I know I have to stay healthy for them & I don't want to negatively influence them. They have a higher chance of following in my footsteps if they see me struggling with these issues. I really don't want them to have to go through that.

I find I like being so busy in my life,you know with the family diet & school ect., I find it's better to be busy than to have nothing to do. I try to do the best I can for my kids. I had them at a young age & I feel that makes it twice as important for me to finish my degree to set a more positive example for them & they more active I am the more active they are. I guess it's a win win.

I'm glad you figured out how often you're going to work out & it's good you're just going to target everything. For me my tummy is pretty much my only issue. I'm actually pretty small every where else. I'd like to tone the rest up too, but my main focus is trying my best to get my tummy as flat & tone as it use to be or at least as close as I can manage.

I'm glad you SO is getting his own weight under control too, especially if there is a possibility of diabetes in the picture. That will just add a whole other set of complications. I wish him luck, but I'm sure with you by his side motivating him that he will do just fine. Well I weigh in again Tuesday, so I'll let you know how that goes then. I probably won't be back on here till Monday though, my husband is only home on weekends so I spend them with him. He is on his way home now & I can't wait to see him! Have a great weekend & keep up the good work!

Aww, you such a good Mama

We wound up signing up for the gym yesterday and it went really well. Spent a half hour on the elliptical, then did some resistance stuff. A decent way to get back into exercise. Felt so good when I got home! We'll be going tomorrow afternoon and spending much more time.

Breakfast- Tangerine and yogurt
Snack-String cheese
Lunch- PB & J on wheat bread
Dinner Some veggie soup with rice.

Tomorrow I'm going to start with my real uniform weigh-ins, so I can keep better track.

Hope you had a great weekend with your husband!!

Thanks. Yeah we had a good day. He was only home on Saturday this week & next weekend he will only be home one day & then gone for 2weeks almost. He wont be home until right before Christmas & he will miss our youngest daughters 1st birthday. It sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do, right. Anyway, my weigh in is tomorrow & I'm way off my work out schedule, but ok on my diet....especially since I was so sick yesterday I was throwing up all day. Yuck! I'm glad you're enjoying the gym. Keep up the good work. I'll talk to you again tomorrow.

Oh hon, that does suck. At least he'll be around for Christmas! It's coming up so fast, I am so not looking forward to trying to resist all the goodies!

(hugs) Sorry you were sick. Hope the puking's done. Remember to hydrate, and deff take it easy on the working out until you feel better. Soup can be a good idea, too.

I've still been LOVING the gym. Last night I did the hardest workout of my life, an hour and a half on the elliptical and a bunch of work with weights, which I've always neglected. I woke up so sore today, which obviously kinda sucked but was kind of exhilerating, too.

When I weighed myelf a few days ago, I was 146.6 but when I weighed myself this morning I was 144. I don't think it's a "true" loss, I think I've just been better hydrated. But it still felt good to see.

Breakfast- 2 slices of whole wheat toast and peanut butter, coconut milk, an apple
Snack- String cheese and fruit cup w/flax
Lunch- Cucumber and hard boiled egg
Dinner- Some Progresso veggie soup, which I'm excited to try

I find it so much easier to be "good" with my food when I'm going to the gym regularly. I'm a little nervous for tonight, I do kareoke on Wednesdays and usually that means a few drinks. My "healthy" drink of choise is Diet Coke and 100 proof vodka. I'm thinking one of those won't ruin all my hard work...

Feel better!

Luckily for me & don't have the issue of trying to find a "healthy" alcoholic beverage, I don't drink. But good luck to you with that & remember to be safe & don't drink & drive please. Have fun with karaoke.

I lost 1 more lb which means I'm down to 154 & have a total 9lb loss. I would have lost more but I strayed from my diet last week & only worked out 1 day & was sick. Oh well, any loss is better than none. Besides if I continue to loose 9lbs a month I'll meet my target weight by mid-February. Then I will only have to maintain my weight( hardest part) & continue to work on toning & conditioning my body.

I get what you're saying about resisting goodies, my daughter & I baked about 3 dozen cookies today! My husband bought her like 200 cookie cutters so of course we had to try them out! Oh well, off to the fire dept. we go! (we bake for the fire fighters & then we don't eat as much).

You're doing great, so try not to give into temptation & ruin all that. I'm so glad you're enjoying the gym so much. That's amazing.

Alright dear well thanks for the chat. I'll check back in tomorrow. Let me know how "good" you behave tonight with being at a bar. I really enjoy these little chats & they have really helped keep me on track & I hope they do the same for you.

Oh, I feel much better today thank you & started getting back on track yesterday both with my diet & my work out. Thanks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old that has always been overweight. I have 1 daughter and have been married for 14 years .I have always thought I was comfortable with...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Weight Loss Tip
Make half of every plate fruits or vegetables. Eat them first, drink a large glass of water and wait a few minutes. Then eat the rest of ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 60 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.