Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hopefully this helps me
rocky2010 posted:
hello ladies,

In one of my previous posts I explained my situation with food and having issues with planning my meals around my work schedule. I have come to the conclusion that the following is going to be a typical day for me and wanted to share my meal that i have planned today.
reminder my work day is 6am-6pm
so here it goes!
Breakfast 5:15am: Slim fast shake prepared with 1% milk and half a banana,
Mid Morning snack 09:45am: fat free boston cream pie yogurt.
Lunch 13:45: Slim fast shake prepared with 1% milk
Mid afternoon snack 1600: 3.5oz fat freen tuna salad with 6 whole wheat crackers.
Dinner 1845: 6 prawns cooked with sugar snap peas, celery, water chestnuts, carrots and green and red bell pepper with a low sodium diluted homeade kung pao sauce and 1/2 cup of brown rice.
and a strawberry shortcake yogurt for dessert.
my aim is 64 oz or more of water
and to take my step son to our community rec center for some one on one basket ball for 45-60 tonight.

How does this look?
any advice suggestions are greatly appreciated!
-rocky
-Success doesn't come to you--you go to it

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Rocky I think your day sounds good lots of variety in the vegies
what is kung pao sauce? whats in it?
also what is fat freen tuna salad do you make it yourself?
Hugs Judy:)

rocky2010 replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Kung pao is a popular sauce served with chicken, beef , veggies and shrimp they sell this sauce in the supermarket but i make mine fresh and my way.
with my prawns and kung pao i boil my prawns and then i take
2 cups of prawn broth
1/4 cup of light soy sauce
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
4 tablespoons of chili paste
2 teaspoons of chili oil
add touches of cornstarch to thicken nad voila i love it !

My fat free tuna salad i make it
i'll take 3.5oz of tuna packed in water
celery
2 teaspoons of relish
4 cherry tomatoes
3 tablespoons of fat free mayo
but if im in a hurry ill buy the fat free tuna kit at my grocery store for a dollar they have diffrent varieties low sodium and fat free!

Jis4Judy replied to rocky2010's response:
thanks Rocky
seems like a sweet and hot sauce

How many calories per serving in that sauce ?
It sounds like you make a lot of it
do you just drizzle or cover the prawns ..
I dont have chili paste on hand or chili oil
but it sounds interesting a bit high in sugar for me though
it could be used as a holiday meal for me maybe

I make my tuna a bit different
I use onions and celery chopped into it and real mayo
just less of it so I don;t eat it that often ..anyway

I sometimes like the white water packed tuna in my tossed salad as a meal ... mixed greens cukes bell peppers red onion tomato and 5 black olives... my dressing is diluted wish bone robusto it is half wine vinager ..
I am allways looking for new stuff to try maybe I will make that sauce next christmas I copied and pasted it into my recipe folder..
thanks again

irisheyes213 replied to Jis4Judy's response:
I was curious about the sauce as well so I went ahead and put it in a recipe calculator. I used Thai Kitchen Red chili paste and La Choy Light soy sauce. I also just used water as the base since I am making the assumption that the prawn broth is simply the water and spices that the prawns were cooked in.

The serving size might be off but I went simply based on the liquid ingredients and divided it by quarter cups so I came up with 9 1/4 cup servings at
9 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories 60.7 Total Fat 2.4 g Saturated Fat 0.1 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g Cholesterol 2.2 mg Sodium 305.7 mg Potassium 21.2 mg Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g Dietary Fiber 0.0 g Sugars 9.9 g Protein 1.3 g
Of course you could halve the servings, only using 2 tbls instead of 4 tbls (1/4 cup) to be similar to the commercial serving sizes.

I looked up the calories in various brands of commercial hoisin sauce and they ranged from 50-80 calories for 1 or 2 tbls servings with 10-16 grams of sugar in a serving. Rocky's recipe comes out to a serving size double that with the same calorie and sugar range. You could probably reduce the sodium depending on the brand of light soy sauce you use as well. The la choy had 550 mg in 1 tbls (Yikes and that was the light :) )

Sorry Rocky, didn't mean to overtake your recipe but I am always looking for Asian flavor recipes that will mimic what we can get in the store. Thanks for sharing that recipe, I saved it to try out soon.
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/irisheyes213/

Jis4Judy replied to irisheyes213's response:
thanks Deb
so maybe 1 tablespoon drizzled would be best in my case thats still a lot of sodium for light can you imagine how much sodium is in the regular one ...and I used to use regular no wonder My Bubby has High BP

irisheyes213 replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Yes, Judy if that what you think would work for you. I know you keep pretty tight reigns on your meals even in maintenance. My DH requires too much variety to be able to do that in our house :)

Rocky, I think your day looks pretty good. Just make sure that you are getting enough calories throughout the day. I hope that this helps you find your groove again. You might be able to add yogurt to your slimfast drinks if you find that you aren't able to get your snacks in due to your job.
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/irisheyes213/

Well the brown sugar and chili oil balances itself nicely and i drizzle it on top i take a blue plate which i heard is the best to eat your food on because of how our brains react to colors and place half a cup of brown rice half a cup of veggies on top and 4 prawns then i drizzle this sauce on top i want to say about 1/4 cup at the very most which is 4 tablespoons. I used to just eat my tuna with lemon and drizzle of olive oil and crushed up roasted garlic but that got boring so once in a while ill add real mayo just depeneds on my mood.

rocky2010 replied to irisheyes213's response:
Oh no thank you for sharing!!

Soy sauce definetly has alot of sodium so i make sure i drink LOTS of water to try to dilute it in my body when i do eat asian food period. I love it though and it keeps me happy i used to be addicted to orange chicken and we arent talking about chicken breast and orange slices. I mean deep fried chicken and heavy duty orange sauce fried rice and chow mein with an egg roll and 3-4 crab angels and a 44oz of pepsi ! I've come aloonngg way but I do watch my sodium i only eat kung pao when i'm really craving some fattening chinese food and this satisfies my cravings!

rocky2010 replied to irisheyes213's response:
I really think i'am going to need to start maybe adding some greek yogurt to my shake in the morning or something to keep me fuller longer because the shake is 200 calories prepared with my milk i do not use water ewww too runny dont like the flavor. I noticed today i'm hungrier than yesterday i didnt have enough for dinner last night and today ive had my shake so far and 2 LOW FAT STRING CHEESES!! I'am soo happy i only brought 2 today ill be working til 1930 been here since 0600 grrr so might not be too bad i brought some sugar snap peas 97% fat free butter to snack on a fat free yogurt and a shake. When i get home ill have something small and walk my furry baby well haha what am i saying he always walks me ! 110 pound chow/pit that is afraid of everything and thinks he is everyones best friend has me running down the street. I wonder how many calories that burns in 30 minutes!

rocky2010 replied to rocky2010's response:
haha no im not just snacking on butter hahaahah just saw that 97% fat free POPCORN!!!

Rocky I was reading that and was wondering what was missing LOl Pop corn popped in an air popper was a big part of my plan at one time ...I have eaten the microwave stuff mostly at my sons house when I visit ///

hmm air popper huh i never even thought of that. I could totally make it taste great if i added a drizzle of olive oil and some garlic powder maybe a touch of reduced fat parmesean cheese! I love popcorn i just cant have it with nothing on it too bland for me

I try to eat it plain I spray a little butter flavored stuff on it and sprinkle just a tad of salt but olive oil and parmisian sounds good too ... the air popper has no added oils you get to measure your own butter or oil and other topping getting better fats that way ..
I refuse to buy any product that has any trans fats in it ..

Spotlight: Member Stories

I started the year out around 317 and have lost around 56 lbs so far this year. I mainly have been on the low carb, trying to stay under a 100g of car...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.