Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
new to the community
annett57 posted:
hello everyone, I feel this is the right community for me since becoming a diabetic 15 years ago, I have basically doubled my weight. I went from 200 + pounds to "teetering" at 300 pounds. i was a vegetarian at one time and am trying to resume that way of eating again. i work as a counselor and the stress of this field has contributed to my unmanagability with the diabetes. In addition, I have a very needy, but wonderful family(children-2 sons and grandchildren -7)whose connection with me also contributes to the high stress i sometimes find in my life. i was originally diagnosed as type 2 diabetic and moved into type 1- insulin dependent. I really need to connect with others for support and just like I tell the clients I work with...build a support system. I feel good connecting with WEBMD's resource and hope to benefit and be of some support myself to another or others.

ami_nix responded:
Welcome! I am also new to this community and know what it is like to try to get healthy with a stressful, sit-down job.. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes right before I had my son and am now knocking on prediabetes door.. I want to change my lifestyle in order to set a good example for my son and also because I'd like to have another baby and I feel like being at the weight I was at before my son was born was taking a serious risk with his health (although, he is a healthy, alert little guy). Good luck on your journey to good health! I hope I can help you on your way
"Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you." - Robert Fulghum

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Annett and Ami_nix! Welcome--I'm glad you both found us.

I am under 300lbs now, and I've taken a 1 1/2 years to lose about 35 lbs. I found the biggest help for me in my weight loss journey was daily exercise (a minimum of 1 mile of walking a day, usually 2-3 miles) and stress reduction.

I hope some of these Newcomer Tips are helpful. This Portion Size tool helps you get familiar with serving sizes.

I became inspired when my prediabetic mom became diabetic, because she didn't make any changes. Then she didn't manage her diabeties and has now had two surgeries to try and keep her vision.

I have a lot more weight to lose. But the good news is that by losing 30lbs, my cholesterol dropped 30 points, so I know it's working. Work with your doctor to make sure you have expert support.

This community has been quiet recently, so a few other places you may want to check out are the Diet Club: 50-100lbs and the Diabetes Community .

Let us know how you're both doing,

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 30lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my name is Vicki. I am 21 years old and have been overweight for almost my entire life. I didn't start having issues with being bigger than my ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.