Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to this!
distant_horizon posted:
Hi all,
I'm gearing up to get back on track with my health. I currently weigh about 285 and am 5'6". I am recently married (just over a year!) and we just bought our first home. With all that's been going on in the past couple years, my fitness took a back seat, and I gained over 60 lbs.! I am now in a place in my life where things are good (and less stressful!). So it's time to get back on track. We would like to start a family in the next couple of years, and I want to be in better shape before we take that on. Right now, I'm starting a new walking regimen. I'm trying to keep my goals well-grounded so they stay attainable. Currently, I have 3 goals:

1. Drink more water!
Luckily, I have never been a soda drinker so that part isn't hard. I've been working for the past few months on decreasing my sugar content and making sure drinks are healthy. I now drink lots of unsweetened iced tea (mostly home-made!), some coffee, and milk. But I'd like to increase it because I know I'm drinking less water than I should.

2. Stop eating out!
My workplace isn't really conducive to eating at the office and bringing a lunch. I work in a very small, 2-person office, and we don't have a dedicated lunchroom that is away from our workspace. I am not supposed to eat at my desk, so I leave many days for lunch and end up going to various drive thrus. But I can't seem to just STOP! Any ideas on changing these habits? I am very aware that this will be my hardest goal to achieve.

3. Start getting up earlier!
Some days, I only get up 15-20 mins before I need to leave for work. This fosters a more stressful morning for me, and less time for breakfast as well. This "no time for breakfast" thing quickly turns into stopping and picking up something unhealthy. So, I want to start getting up earlier so I can take a walk and eat a good breakfast.

If anyone has tips or ideas to help keep me on track and avoid the drive-thru, I would love to hear it! This board looks like an awesome place with awesome people and an awesome support system. I'm so happy to have found this and just have people available to me who can relate!!

Nikki

irisheyes213 responded:
Welcome to the board! Just jump on in! You CAN do this.
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Nikki and let me join Deb (Irisheyes) in saying you CAN do this! Here's a link to our Newcomer Tips that may give you some ideas.

Just some quick thoughts--have breakfast ready the night before. Put it in a container that you can either microwave or graze from (depending upon what it is) so that you're getting a meal you intended. Many mornings I grab baby carrots and a yoghurt as my no fuss, no thinking about it, breakfast.

For lunch, how about making it and bringing it in one of those lunch coolers you can keep out of sight by your desk. Then when it's lunch time, you'll have the food you intended to eat right at hand. Perhaps you can talk a short walk and find a place to eat it, too?

I'm sure the other great folks who post here will be jumping in to greet you shortly.

Cheering you on,

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 35lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story is like many other , been struggling to lose weight sense I can remember . As a adult I have tried every weight loss program and any thing I...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.