Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP!
bignonna posted:
I am a 63 yr. old woman; married for 43 yrs., I have 9 children and 26 grandchildren (soon to be 28). I weigh 246 lbs and I have not seen the underside of 200 lbs since the birth of my 4th child. I work full time and then come home to cook for my husband who has health issues and 2 of my remaining sons who live at home. I don't get much sleep at night trying to keep an eye on my husband. By the time I get home from work I am to tired to cook a decent meal. My doctor wants me to walk for 30 minutes a day but I just don' have the energy for that. I need some help. Can anyone help?

distant_horizon responded:
Hi,
When my husband and I first started trying to eat healthier, time was my major obstacle as well. I work full time and then have to come home and cook, do dishes, etc. My husband has never been much of a cook, so I do almost all of the cooking. Anyway, the thing I noticed is that if I don't buy the unhealthy (but fast) options, I'll stop making them. As we stopped buying the bad things, we learned how to make quick AND healthy meals. Make grocery lists, and stick to them, and read the nutrition labels. Another thing you can do is take things you already know you and your family like and tweak it to be more healthy. Switch white rice for brown, add more veggies to soups and casseroles (anything really...i even add a variety to spaghetti), try ground turkey in place of beef....Start with small changes, and it will start to come easier! The good thing is that you are making steps toward a healthier lifestyle! Good luck!

P.S. Also, maybe try getting a cook book with quick recipes? There seem to be several out there...I use this website a lot for new recipes...http://healthy.food.com/

irisheyes213 replied to distant_horizon's response:
Distant horizon gave you some great ideas for some easy switches to change up your diet.

My best suggestions are to take a half hour or so and plan your dinners for the week around the schedule you have upcoming. Use the crockpot on nights when you won't have a lot of time to prep dinner when you get home or you feel you won't be up to it. Prep whatever you can for upcoming meals ahead of time so if you have extra time on Sunday afternoon, chop all your veggies for the next few days and then do the same on Wednesday or when you have a few minutes in the week.

With the 30 min walking requirement of your doctor, work your way up to that slowly. Research as found that 3- 10 min walks are almost as effective as 1 30 min walk so maybe take a walk in the morning before work, take another walk at lunch time, and then one before/after dinner. Then as you get in that habit try to add time to one or all of your walks so that you can build up to walking 30 min straight without it leaving you exhausted.

You can do this! Welcome to the board.
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I have had a problem with weight ever since I received treatment for an eating disorder 20 years ago at which time I weighed 115 lbs (I'm 5...More

Helpful Tips

Starbucks' Holiday Drink Help
"Nothing answers the cry of a cold morning during the holidays than a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha ." Find out what Nutritionist Elaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.