Skip to content
Motivators??
distant_horizon posted:
Hi Everyone,
I know this is probably kind of a tired topic on these boards....What are your motivators? What are the things that keep you going at it day after day? I guess I'm just curious and want to see what others do to stay on track when they just want to have a lazy day. It's been kind of difficult for me, as my changes haven't become habit yet, and I want to stick with it long enough to get to that point. Any ideas are welcome!

Nikki

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Nikki!

That's a great question.

I get motivated by making a good example for my kids. My daughter started after me and has now lost more weight--which motivates me to keep going.

Improvements to my health also motivate me. I've seen improvement in my cholesterol and triglycerides. Next, I'd like to see my blood sugar drop a bit, so that's my next goal.

Okay, who's next to share their motivator?

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 35lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

irisheyes213 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Nikki,

Oftentimes it is a day by day, sometimes even hour by hour effort to stay motivated. I use this board, other online resources, and my health status as the main motivators.

There are some days, more than I would like to count, that I am not motivated. I have found though that checking in here often helps to keep me pushing forward even when there is nothing I want to focus on. But, I'm not going to lie, there are some days that I just don't care and I go off the rails. The key is getting back to focusing on at least part of the journey when we have those days.

I've started a new experiment to try and keep me focused on walking. I wanted to be able to walk a 5k again by Halloween but didn't make any effort to do that so I decided to create a virtual walk goal to work toward. Right now I am shooting to walk to/from Lake Michigan by Thanksgiving and for me that is 62 miles round trip. I have added mileage each day since I started on Saturday even if it wasn't quite a half mile. It is a start. So when you find your motivation lacking, maybe look for something that will get you moving again or get you cooking again whatever works!

Good Luck!
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 47 married with no kids but a farm full of animals. I am very tall about 6'1" and at my heaviest weight I weighed 300 in January 2010. I...More

Helpful Tips

Warning: Ramblings
Had some good things happen this week that I wanted to share. Had 2 people I know tell me I look 10 years younger. I'm under 250 lbs. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.