Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
weird and extremely painful eating disorder
cantorbaby posted:
this is my first post, I am at the end of my rope I am very very overweight and nothing I do helps. Right now I am on weight watchers. For me this is the greatest plan. However, I have a horrible eating disorder. NIGHT EATING. NOW this is not just eating after dinner, its about eating all night. sometimes till Im sick. There are times I get up in the morning and find wrappers and plates in and around my bed.
My doctor basically laughs at me and tells me that I need to "get a gripe" or eat celery.
I am at the end of my rope. Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone suggest what type of doctor I could work with for this disorder.
I can control myself all day... perfectly but overnight is a horror. On top of this I have insomnia.
any serious suggestions would be apreciated
thanks,
cantorbaby

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Cantorbaby and thank you for choosing to share your story with us and post. Here's a thread from the Sleep Disorders Community where a member talks about Eating 2 Pounds of Grapes While Asleep . Many other people joined in the thread and said they were sleep eaters or night eaters too.

I am sorry your doctor laughs at you. That seems very insensitive.Did you know there's even a Night Eating Syndrome ?

It's great that you have the Weight Watcher's working for you, so how about considering seeing a sleep disorders expert about your nocturnal eating? A behaviorist or nutritionist might be able to help you work on this, too.

Hopefully some of our other members will pipe up and share their stories with you too.

In support,

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 35lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

irisheyes213 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Wow, your doctor should not be laughing at you. The issue you describe is a real medical condition as Byroney says. I would seek out another primary care provider that wants to be supportive and help you get healthier as it doesn't sound like that is the motive of the dr you are currently seeing. Hang in there. I know that some people have gone to the extreme of locking the fridge and cabinets at night so that they will have more difficulty getting to the food but it doesn't always help, especially if you are the one that locks them at night.

Making a safe food environment for yourself might also help so that when you do eat at night you don't have many foods that will cause much damage. Yes, even too much fruit or veggies can cause weight gain but the damage isn't as much as cookies, chips, and ice cream would be.

You can do this but it just may take a bit to find your groove with your eating disorder.

Welcome to the board, we hope you continue to share your journey with us.
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld

Spotlight: Member Stories

I AM58YRS.OLD,I WT.395LBS. IHAVE REALLY BAD KNEES,I HAVE TO GET SHOTS EVERY 6MTHS.I TRY TO WALK SOME EVERYDAY. I NEED ALL THE SUPPORT AND PRAYERS I CA...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 70 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.