Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I need help ..
julie7152001 posted:
Hi everyone , I am a 47 year old grandma raising my 10 year old grandson , I am at my highest weight of 329 i am 5'6" and i have tried so many diets , but my big issue is finding the right one i am on a low budget so i can't afford alot of different foods and i don't get much exercise because i have very bad knees and hips with arthuritst can anyone help me ....

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Julie and welcome!

You can check out our Newcomer Tips to help you get started. Deb (IrishEyes) posted this $20 Challenge that may help you look at ways to find good foods that aren't expensive. I know I learned a great deal by reading it.

This blog posting about Exercise and Arthritis and this article Arthritis and Exercise , how do I start? may be useful. Also, Exercising Safely with Arthritis may help get you started.

Please make sure to talk with your doctor before starting a diet and exercise program. Your doctor may also be able to refer you to a nutritionist or exercise plan that may be free or low cost.

I was about your weight and age when I started over a year ago. I'm now 35 lbs lighter and walk 2 miles minimum every day. I don't have money for a gym or diet plans--I've just done it on my own with my doctor's approval.

You've made a good first step by posting here. I hope you'll keep coming back.

Best wishes to you and your grandson,

Byroney
Pounds off since December 2009= 35lbs. At this rate, it will be years until I reach goal, so I hope you don't mind having me around for a spell.

irisheyes213 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Welcome to the board!

I found a great book at my local library called "Get Fit While You Sit" by Cheryl Torkelson. It is geared towards people with physical limitations when it comes to exercise. There is also a PBS program called "Sit and Be Fit" that also has dvd's available.

You can do this! Just start slowly and maybe make some simple switches in your diet such as swapping brown rice or quinoa for white rice in dishes. Swap out whole grain pasta for white pasta (Aldi carries it now in the fit and active brand for a reasonable price) . Add in extra veggies/fruit when you can. Frozen is often less expensive than fresh.

We hope you share your journey with us.
Never giving up and pushing forward will unlock all the potential we are capable of. ~Christy Borgeld

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Story is I do Not want to die!!! I want to live and live free. I long to shop in the Shops the normal size Girls love! I long to take my kids to Ki...More

Helpful Tips

Warning: Ramblings
Had some good things happen this week that I wanted to share. Had 2 people I know tell me I look 10 years younger. I'm under 250 lbs. ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.